Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Mini-Review: 2015 Kia Sedona Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Smile MM Mini-Review: 2015 Kia Sedona Limited

A Mini-Review of the all-new 2015 Kia Sedona

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sed...ce?story=hello

IN A NUTSHELL: A lot of minivan for the buck, even with the top-level SX Limited.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Chrysler Town & Country (the Dodge Caravan is being dropped).

OVERVIEW:

I took some time out today, at a local Kia dealership, to look at some lower-line models for my brother (who may have a purchase coming up soon), and got the best possible news we could have got. Looks like an AWD Soul is coming for 2016, which is EXACTLY what my brother wanted....now he won't have to settle for a Sportage. The Jeep Renegade is the same size and shoe-box-shape as the Soul, with AWD, but I wasn't impressed with its build quality or materials.

This, however, is not about my brother or the Soul, but the Sedona. While I was there, I saw a nice dark-cherry, top-of-the-line SX Limited Sedona minivan sitting in the lot...the first time I had seen one close-up since the D.C. Auto Show at the end of January. There has been at least some talk and interest on CL about the new Sedona, and SW13GS, one of our CL members, has a brand-new one, just a couple of weeks old, that he seems quite pleased with. So, I thought I'd check it out and test-drive one while I was there, and at least write up a condensed mini-review instead of my usual full-length detailed one. I went inside, got the key and a dealer-plate, checked it over inside and out, and off I went.

The first-generation Sedona (known as the "Carnival" in some countries), seemed quite solidly screwed together, using good interior and exterior materials (and its weight confirmed some of that solidness). It was also a steal, price-wise...a co-worker of mine took home a V6-equipped 2003 model on sale for roughly 18K, out-the-door. But it also, according to Consumer Reports, had some unreliable mechanical parts. My co-worker's transmission, for example went out at just over 100K miles......which is Kia's warranty limit, but Kia still went 50/50 with him on the new transmission, which shows that the company has integrity. The second-generation Sedona was essentially the same minivan as the Hyundai Entourage, and, as expected, proved more reliable.

Now, for 2015, comes the all-new third-generation Sedona. Trim levels have been expanded from three to five, and now include L, LX, EX, SX, and SX L (Limited). All versions come with FWD and use a 3.3L V6 and a 6-speed Sportshift automatic transmission. Base prices start at $26,100 for the L, and run to $39,700 for the Limited.....the one I sampled.

Overall, I had quite a high opinion of the SXL, though lower-line, less-expensive versions may not have been quite as impressive. The SXL is not cheap, especially by Kia standards, but, even at a 40K price, it gives you a lot.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2015 Kia Sedona SX Limited

BASE PRICE: $39,700

OPTIONS:

Cargo Net: $50

Mud Guards: $95

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $895 (not bad for a vehicle this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $40,740

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transverse-mounted 3.3L V6, 276 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 248 Ft-lbs. @ 5200 RPM, 6-speed automatic transmission with manual mode.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 17 City, 22 Highway, 19 Combined
(For some reason, though, all with the same drivetrain, different versions of the Sedona have different EPA ratings)

EXTERIOR COLOR: Black Berry (dark burgundy)

INTERIOR: Two-Tone Gray Leather with rear Captain's Chairs.

(Oddly, this color combination is not listed on Kia's current web-site for the new Sedona. It shows, instead, for the SX and Limited trims, a Venetian Red exterior and Burgundy Leather interior)

PLUSSES:

Smooth, refined, but not powerful engine.

Silky-shifting 6-speedSportshift transmission.

Good ride comfort even with 19" wheels/tires.

Quiet ride with effective wind/road noise isolation.

Generally good brakes.

Front doors close with a solid and precise thunk....not as much so with the hood.

Well-done paint job.

Very plush-looking interior on the Limited model.

Generally nice padded interior materials; but with some hard shiny plastic.

Good interior and exterior hardware.

Solid-feeling, well-laid-out, easy-to-use controls/buttons/*****.

Clear, easy-to-read gauges.

Very long (but somewhat limited) warranties.

Very comfortable front weather seats.

Rear leather Captain's Chairs as comfortable as those up front, and include fore/aft adjustment and leg-extenders.

Extensive comfort/convienience/safety items on SX and Limited models.

Nice stereo sound....but not a killer.

Good headroom, front and rear.

MINUSES:

Awkward-operating mechanisms for 3rd row seat folding.

Manual prop under the hood instead of gas struts.

Relatively tight engine fit (and engine cover) gives limited access to some underhood components.

Fake-looking/feeling "wood" steering wheel.

Compressed-air bottle (?) instead of a spare tire. (web site is unclear).

Cargo trunk-floor in back very low.....requires stooping down to reach things.

Somewhat dull paint colors...but that is objective, and just my opinion.

THE VERDICT:

Good job, Kia. I found very little to significantly complain about in the SXL, other than the awkward 3rd-seat folding/stowing mechanism, Fix-a-Flat bottle, and the manual prop-rod for the hood. The Toyota Sienna, yes, offers an AWD option that the Sedona and other American-market minivans lack. But the Sedona is large and heavy enough that its FWD and all-season tires should keep it going through most winter conditions short of really slick roads or very deep snow. SW13GS...you made a wise choice.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-15 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 05:22 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Those seats look plush!! When I bought my Sienna back in 07 new we seriously considered the redesigned Sedona at the time...looking back, Sienna was the right choice (value, comfort and resale value wise).

That said to pick up a gently used one was one heck of a steal, I'd seriously consider this Sedona maybe 18-36 months down the road to get one at $15-$20k because that is a lot of car for the $$$....kids would love those plush rear seats!
Old 04-22-15, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
Those seats look plush!! When I bought my Sienna back in 07 new we seriously considered the redesigned Sedona at the time...looking back, Sienna was the right choice (value, comfort and resale value wise).

That said to pick up a gently used one was one heck of a steal, I'd seriously consider this Sedona maybe 18-36 months down the road to get one at $15-$20k because that is a lot of car for the $$$....kids would love those plush rear seats!
Those, of course, are the heated Captain's Chairs in back (Kia calls them First-Class Lounge seating), which you will only find in the top-line Limited model. They trade 3-passenger capacity for extraordinary comfort for two persons....some of the best back-seat comfort I've ever seen in a vehicle even in this price range.
Old 04-23-15, 07:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
..some of the best back-seat comfort I've ever seen in a vehicle.
Best back seat comfort I have seen is the Toyota Sequoia Platinum, too bad they don't offer cooling seats as well.
Old 04-23-15, 08:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Compressed-air bottle instead of a spare tire.
Well, I'm not in the market for a minivan, but this would be a deal killer for me. I know that people advocate use of roadside assistance, but with all the potholes in the NE, you can't seal a blown tire. And this is just a complete non-starter for me in a family vehicle. My whole family is not going to fit in the cab of the tow truck that comes when I call roadside assistance. I know there's a move toward eliminating the spare, but offer me one as an accessory--I'll take it.
Old 04-23-15, 09:20 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's funny that you noted a "low cargo floor" as a minus, as that deep well is what makes a minivan so attractive, expanding the cargo capacity behind the third row immensely over what almost any 3 row crossover can provide.

One of the main drawbacks of the SX-L trim with its Lounge 2nd row seats was in terms of cargo flexibility. The 2nd row seats can't be removed, and they can't do the "Slide n Stow" that the lower grade Sedona seats do. If you could do a fold flat of the seat back, then at least you could get the full length of the cargo carrying capability, but you can't. They simply tip forward a bit and can slide forward. So bulky cargo items are limited in length versus what you might be able to achieve in other minivans.

In Korea they actually offer a 4 row configuration!

Old 04-23-15, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's funny that you noted a "low cargo floor" as a minus, as that deep well is what makes a minivan so attractive, expanding the cargo capacity behind the third row immensely over what almost any 3 row crossover can provide.
Yes, it does help with cargo capacity, but not necessarily with aging backs or legs lifting heavy things out.

It should be noted, however, that, once the awkward-operating mechanism DOES get the third-row seats folded/stored, it not only makes for a much longer flat surface, but also raises the floor level some.

One of the main drawbacks of the SX-L trim with its Lounge 2nd row seats was in terms of cargo flexibility. The 2nd row seats can't be removed, and they can't do the "Slide n Stow" that the lower grade Sedona seats do. If you could do a fold flat of the seat back, then at least you could get the full length of the cargo carrying capability, but you can't. They simply tip forward a bit and can slide forward. So bulky cargo items are limited in length versus what you might be able to achieve in other minivans.
Yes, the Captain's Chairs are clearly designed for comfort, rather than practicality. And they deliver that comfort in spades.

In Korea they actually offer a 4 row configuration!
That's (probably) because many Asians tend to be shorter and thinner than us big overweight Americans. They can fit into smaller seats that, here in America, would be used only by kids and small adults.
Old 04-23-15, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well, I'm not in the market for a minivan, but this would be a deal killer for me. I know that people advocate use of roadside assistance, but with all the potholes in the NE,

you can't seal a blown tire. And this is just a complete non-starter for me in a family vehicle. My whole family is not going to fit in the cab of the tow truck that comes when I call roadside assistance. I know there's a move toward eliminating the spare, but offer me one as an accessory--I'll take it.

Yes, the last two deep-freeze winters in Eastern North America have really done a number with pavement damage and potholes. Here, in the D.C. area, the roads are becoming similar to what, a few years ago, we only saw in the Snow Belt states around the Great Lakes.

Automakers make a number of different excuses today for not providing real spare tires, wheels, or in some cases, even temporary spares.......weight, bulk, simplicity, space-efficiency, Roadside Assistance, run-flat tires, etc.....The most obvious one, as far as I can see, is simple cost-cutting. Yet, in most cases, you will still find real spares in pickup trucks and some off-road-capable SUVs......if a tire or wheel fails in a far enough remote spot off-road, even Roadside Assistance, with GPS, might not be able to get to you. That's one reason why some insurance policies won't cover vehicles off-road.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Best back seat comfort I have seen is the Toyota Sequoia Platinum, too bad they don't offer cooling seats as well.
The Sequoia's rear seats may indeed be more comfortable for you. I won't dispute that....only you can determine that. But I'd also bet the monthly rent that you're shorter and lighter than I am. I'm a big boy.
Old 04-23-15, 10:08 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I'm not in the market for a minivan, but this would be a deal killer for me. I know that people advocate use of roadside assistance, but with all the potholes in the NE, you can't seal a blown tire. And this is just a complete non-starter for me in a family vehicle. My whole family is not going to fit in the cab of the tow truck that comes when I call roadside assistance. I know there's a move toward eliminating the spare, but offer me one as an accessory--I'll take it.
The problem is finding a place to store that spare tire. They used to be slung underneath the rear cargo area until the automakers started putting a well in the cargo area into which the 3rd-row seat is stored.

The 1gen Honda Odyssey (that thing that looked more like a wagon than a minivan, and the first with the tumble-back-into-a-well 3rd-row seat) stored its spare on the inside wall in the cargo area. I don't know why automakers no longer do that.

The 2gen Odyssey, in typical gimmicky Honda fashion, placed the spare in an inside well between and behind the driver and front passenger, meaning that if you had to change the tire, you would have to unload the kids, all their stuff and the floor mats from the 2nd row.

All current minivans that have a spare make them available from outside, slung up underneath the 2nd-row or even 1st-row (Chrysler minivans). With the driveshaft taking up room, the Sienna AWD cannot fit a spare tire.

I don't know why automakers moved the spare from the cargo area inside wall -- maybe because it eats up cargo area and 3rd-row seat width. How about a narrower temporary spare that would take up less space, and be lighter and easier to carry in and out of the minivan?
Old 04-23-15, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
With the driveshaft taking up room, the Sienna AWD cannot fit a spare tire.
AWD Siennas come with run-flat tires to address that problem. Toyota has stuck with run-flats on that model, even in spite of customer complaints about ride quality, premature wear, and the expense of replacing them. Perhaps (?) though, that is one of the few examples where the automaker really DOES have little choice in the matter....with a valid excuse. A full-size temporary spare might work on AWD vehicles, but not a small undersized donut spare.....because of the stress and heat that two unequal-sized tires place on the AWD center-differential.

I don't know why automakers moved the spare from the cargo area inside wall -- maybe because it eats up cargo area and 3rd-row seat width. How about a narrower temporary spare that would take up less space, and be lighter and easier to carry in and out of the minivan?
In some cases, having the spare inside the wall might (?) have interfered with the gas tank's filler-pipe.....particularly if there are reasons why the pipe couldn't be located on the opposite side.
Old 04-23-15, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

While I do agree a spare tire could be a deal breaker, unless you are going to get a full size spare, a small spare only gets you to the tire shop to fix the original tire. You simply cannot go very far or very fast safety on a small spare. So you might as well just get run flat tires. But I don't think you can go very far on a run flat anyway.

For Toyota, they still have some full size spares on the 4Runner limited, Sequioa, Tundra, Taco 4WD and some of the higher priced Lexus models.

Anyone know of the cheapest car with a full size spare?
Old 04-23-15, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Anyone know of the cheapest car with a full size spare?
Smallest, cheapest one I know of is the Ford Fiesta ST...starts just under 21K.
Old 04-23-15, 07:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Good review! Overall, we're liking the Sedona very much. Unfortunately a kid hit it in a parking lot today and its going to need a new bumper cover...shame with only 700 miles. I was hoping your bottle of Scratch Out would to it Mike (thanks by the way!) but the cover is creased.

I'll reply with my comments!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
EXTERIOR COLOR: Black Berry (dark burgundy)

INTERIOR: Two-Tone Gray Leather with rear Captain's Chairs.

(Oddly, this color combination is not listed on Kia's current web-site for the new Sedona. It shows, instead, for the SX and Limited trims, a Venetian Red exterior and Burgundy Leather interior)
Same combo as mine. The grey interior is the "burgundy" interior. If you look at the darker contrasted color, its a dark burgundy. Pretty unique.

Well-done paint job.
It does have REALLY nice paint.

MINUSES:

Awkward-operating mechanisms for 3rd row seat folding.
Yep, the third row isn't as smooth to stow as Honda or Toyota.

Fake-looking/feeling "wood" steering wheel.
Thats actually something I like about the interior. If you look at the pattern in that trim, its not trying to look like wood. It has a matrix-y tech grid pattern to it. I hate fake wood, so to me I give them props for not trying to make fake wood look real.

Compressed-air bottle instead of a spare tire.
Who told you that? My Sedona has a real spare, the spare is just on the passenger side under the second row seat.
Old 04-23-15, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Good review!
Thanks. Hadn't planned on it, but once I saw it and checked it out, I figured might as well not waste the experience...at least write up a condensed review, though, obviously, not as thorough as you, as an owner, could.

Overall, we're liking the Sedona very much. Unfortunately a kid hit it in a parking lot today and its going to need a new bumper cover...shame with only 700 miles. I was hoping your bottle of Scratch Out would to it Mike (thanks by the way!) but the cover is creased.
Sorry to hear that. Doesn't sound like a major job at the body shop, though....relatively simple by their standards. And, don't worry.....with twins growing up, and parking-lot experiences, you may need that Scratch Out sooner or later.

Same combo as mine. The grey interior is the "burgundy" interior. If you look at the darker contrasted color, its a dark burgundy. Pretty unique.
Yep....you got a point. On a closer look at the web-site color-images, it does show the Burgundy leather two-tone as a sort of dark reddish-gray. It is unique.

It does have REALLY nice paint.
Almost everything has a nice careful paintwork nowadays.....although some BMW paint jobs, IMO, aren't quite what they should be for the price.

Yep, the third row isn't as smooth to stow as Honda or Toyota.
I had to go get the salespeople to help me on my first couple of tries at it.

Who told you that? My Sedona has a real spare, the spare is just on the passenger side under the second row seat.
An interesting point. I couldn't find a spare at all on mine, temporary/donut or real. The salespeople said it came with a Fix-a-Flat bottle (which, interestingly, I couldn't actually find, either). It DID have a jacking-tool, though, inside the compartment on the left trunk-wall in back. I double-checked Kia's website, and, again, very interesting....the site lists a temporary spare tire on some Kia vehicles, nothing at all on others......and nothing for the Sedona. Go figure.

I'll modify the review, though, to place a question mark on the Fix-a-Flat comment.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-15 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Mini-Review: 2015 Kia Sedona Limited