Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to Explain Your Love and Passion for Cars to a nonenthusiast

Old 04-22-15, 11:36 AM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Explain Your Love and Passion for Cars to a nonenthusiast

Well CL, Im coming to you in some need of advise and help.. This whole post is in my personal opinion and will try not to offend anyone here. Anyway, all of us here are car enthusiasts. To me there are varying degrees of enthusiasts and of course different types. Which ever your bias may be, which ever group or club you may belong to, we're all part of one big family ; motor enthusiasts. Now Id like to think im a pretty involved enthusiast, more so than the average "car guy" who knows how to read the Car and Driver magazine and regurgitate numbers and facts. I enjoy almost all cars; trucks, suvs, Classic, Exotic, European, American, Japanese, Korean, whatever's out there. I myself have all Japanese cars (so you know my bias ) I have ONE American car, a 1966 Chevelle (who doesnt love muscle cars right?). Yes I wrench on my own cars and have done a few motor swaps in my short lifespan . But enough about me, my question is how to explain this "Love and Passion" for cars to someone who just simply isnt the same?

Here's my situation: I have a friend who considers himself a car enthusiast as well. He's the "Car and Driver magazine" type enthusiast; doesn't understand half the stuff hes reading and repeating to me. He's the type of person who likes to spew out a lot of information in hopes of sounding like he knows what hes talking about when he really has no idea what it is hes actually talking about. I honestly have no problem with this as i do enjoy an opportunity to converse and voice opinions about the automotive world. BUT here's the part that just gets me down right infuriated; He constantly tells me that cars are not that important and are just metallic materialistic objects that really hold no value. Understand that i put TONS of time and money into my cars as I'm sure a number of you here as well, do too. Always telling me that cars aren't worth the time and money i spend on them, that there will always be time to play with them LATER, that i should be doing other things than sitting in the garage wrenching away. He likes to tell me that traveling the world is more important, and while I don't disagree that traveling the world is full of its own enrichment and life changing experiences, i don't believe it is more important that the enjoyment and satisfaction i get from being around cars. This is something I've struggled to explain to him on multiple accounts. So have you guys ever had this problem? Most of the time when somebody who just won't understand asks me why i spend so much time and money on cars, i just tilt my head back, smile and laugh softly as I cant explain it to them. But this guy here is a good friend of mine, that I'd at least like to spend the time and effort trying to explain to him as he has asked and tried to understand where I'm coming from on multiple occasions. So noo... telling him off and unfriending him is not an option here haha.

Just let me hear what you guys think, and if you've experienced the same difficultly with someone you know; Id like to hear your story as well!
Old 04-22-15, 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Honeslty, to most people, cars are a money pit. Most people have no interest spending any money on a car after they pay it off. This is probably 95% of the public.

Cars are in fact a materialistic item. Nothing more.

To me, modifying a car is a total waste of money. However I believe in long term ownership and maintenance.

I do know one thing, people like weird stuff and everyone is different.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-22-15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-22-15, 12:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

How to Explain Your Love and Passion for Cars to a nonenthusiast
Key word, nuff said. If the explainer and explainee can't convey or understand it, then you're doing it wrong

I don't disagree that traveling the world is full of its own enrichment and life changing experiences, i don't believe it is more important that the enjoyment and satisfaction i get from being around cars
That's YOUR subjective opinion just like the former is YOUR FRIEND's opinion.

If there's a fire, myself and those I love are more important bar none. Possessions can be replaced, even all those wrenched hours. Of course if there is time I'll save the (future) Aston
Old 04-22-15, 12:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamGS4
Well CL, Im coming to you in some need of advise and help.. This whole post is in my personal opinion and will try not to offend anyone here. Anyway, all of us here are car enthusiasts. To me there are varying degrees of enthusiasts and of course different types. Which ever your bias may be, which ever group or club you may belong to, we're all part of one big family ; motor enthusiasts. Now Id like to think im a pretty involved enthusiast, more so than the average "car guy" who knows how to read the Car and Driver magazine and regurgitate numbers and facts. I enjoy almost all cars; trucks, suvs, Classic, Exotic, European, American, Japanese, Korean, whatever's out there. I myself have all Japanese cars (so you know my bias ) I have ONE American car, a 1966 Chevelle (who doesnt love muscle cars right?). Yes I wrench on my own cars and have done a few motor swaps in my short lifespan . But enough about me, my question is how to explain this "Love and Passion" for cars to someone who just simply isnt the same?

Here's my situation: I have a friend who considers himself a car enthusiast as well. He's the "Car and Driver magazine" type enthusiast; doesn't understand half the stuff hes reading and repeating to me. He's the type of person who likes to spew out a lot of information in hopes of sounding like he knows what hes talking about when he really has no idea what it is hes actually talking about. I honestly have no problem with this as i do enjoy an opportunity to converse and voice opinions about the automotive world. BUT here's the part that just gets me down right infuriated; He constantly tells me that cars are not that important and are just metallic materialistic objects that really hold no value. Understand that i put TONS of time and money into my cars as I'm sure a number of you here as well, do too. Always telling me that cars aren't worth the time and money i spend on them, that there will always be time to play with them LATER, that i should be doing other things than sitting in the garage wrenching away. He likes to tell me that traveling the world is more important, and while I don't disagree that traveling the world is full of its own enrichment and life changing experiences, i don't believe it is more important that the enjoyment and satisfaction i get from being around cars. This is something I've struggled to explain to him on multiple accounts. So have you guys ever had this problem? Most of the time when somebody who just won't understand asks me why i spend so much time and money on cars, i just tilt my head back, smile and laugh softly as I cant explain it to them. But this guy here is a good friend of mine, that I'd at least like to spend the time and effort trying to explain to him as he has asked and tried to understand where I'm coming from on multiple occasions. So noo... telling him off and unfriending him is not an option here haha.

Just let me hear what you guys think, and if you've experienced the same difficultly with someone you know; Id like to hear your story as well!
Honestly, I think this is one of those "Agree to Disagree" moments. He can't get it; he won't get it. It's like someone trying to explain why you REALLY should watch Here Comes Honey Boo Boo--there are clearly people out there that love it (and I'm sorry if anyone here is one of those people), but there is nothing anyone could say or do to me that would get me to watch that garbage. You have a passion--you can't explain it--that's what makes it a passion. Either a person feels it, or they don't. It can't be explained.
Old 04-22-15, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamGS4
I have ONE American car, a 1966 Chevelle (who doesnt love muscle cars right?).
Congratulations on your '66 Chevelle......I assume an SS396? That was the true muscle-version that year, though the smaller 327 had a surprising amount of spunk.

(I grew up with 60's vintage muscle-cars in high-school, BTW. I had one of the earlier Plymouth Barracudas with the huge glass rear window)

Here's my situation: I have a friend who considers himself a car enthusiast as well. He's the "Car and Driver magazine" type enthusiast; doesn't understand half the stuff he's reading and repeating to me. He's the type of person who likes to spew out a lot of information in hopes of sounding like he knows what he's talking about when he really has no idea what it is he's actually talking about.
Actually, the basic manner in which automobiles drive and operate is not that complex at all. Much of it can be explained and understood with basic Middle/High School (and sometimes even lower-grade) science and physics. Engines, transmissions, brakes, steering gear, hoods, doors, trunk, seats, basic controls, etc......do pretty much the same thing today that they did on a Model T. The main difference, though, is that those simple basic systems, while remaining simple underneath, are now controlled and programmed by layer upon layer of computers, electronic programming, memory-functions, mechanical and electronic back-up systems...the list is endless, and becoming more endless each year. This increasing automation has been done for a number of reasons....safety, government regulations, consumer demand for more comfort/convienience items, litigation, reliability, etc.....

So, in one sense, your friend may know very well what he is talking about...on another level, perhaps not.....I couldn't say without meeting him and/or talking to him.

I honestly have no problem with this as I do enjoy an opportunity to converse and voice opinions about the automotive world.
Well, you've come to the right place.....Car Chat

BUT here's the part that just gets me down right infuriated; He constantly tells me that cars are not that important and are just metallic materialistic objects that really hold no value. Understand that i put TONS of time and money into my cars as I'm sure a number of you here as well, do too. Always telling me that cars aren't worth the time and money i spend on them, that there will always be time to play with them LATER, that i should be doing other things than sitting in the garage wrenching away. He likes to tell me that traveling the world is more important, and while I don't disagree that traveling the world is full of its own enrichment and life changing experiences, i don't believe it is more important that the enjoyment and satisfaction i get from being around cars. This is something I've struggled to explain to him on multiple accounts. So have you guys ever had this problem? Most of the time when somebody who just won't understand asks me why i spend so much time and money on cars, i just tilt my head back, smile and laugh softly as I cant explain it to them. But this guy here is a good friend of mine, that I'd at least like to spend the time and effort trying to explain to him as he has asked and tried to understand where I'm coming from on multiple occasions. So noo... telling him off and unfriending him is not an option here haha.

No two people think exactly alike, of course, so it's not surprising that you and him may not see everything eye to eye.....Heck, here on Car Chat, we all have plenty of disagreements ourselves. I see some truth here on both sides. It is true that cars, in an absolute 100% sense, are just electromechanical powered devices to take us from Point A to Point B. Even the ones we love the most (as you apparently do with the 60's vintage muscle-cars) ultimately are transportation devices, though we can psychologically develop a very strong attachment to them...they can become like our kids or pets. So, no matter how much we love our cars, they are not living things that can love us back....and, like us and our frail human bodies, they will eventually wear out and be scrapped or recycled, unless restored and put in a museum.

And it is also true that a person can, in some cases, allow one's love for cars to overrule common sense, family responsibilities, and other needs, such as the need to invest and save for one's old age and retirement. Just because one has enough money in the bank right now to pay cash for that nice new vehicle that has him or her drooling means that he or she should run right out and spend it......each person's needs are different. I'm not necessarily saying DON'T do it, either....,.. (no old vehicle lasts forever, and will eventually have to be replaced).........just be sure that having that nice new vehicle in that garage or parking space doesn't impact on other needs.

Good Luck.....and a good thread.
Old 04-22-15, 10:18 PM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on your '66 Chevelle......I assume an SS396? That was the true muscle-version that year, though the smaller 327 had a surprising amount of spunk.

I wish it were an original 396! It was a 327, had some pep but c'mon now its a muscle car! Its still a work in progress but its got a mildly aggressive built 427BBC mated with a tremec TKO600. ~600hp ~620ft-lb tq

(I grew up with 60's vintage muscle-cars in high-school, BTW. I had one of the earlier Plymouth Barracudas with the huge glass rear window)

Late 60s Cuda ey? A '68 cuda is a hard find these days and definitely on the list of future cars to build!

Actually, the basic manner in which automobiles drive and operate is not that complex at all. Much of it can be explained and understood with basic Middle/High School (and sometimes even lower-grade) science and physics. Engines, transmissions, brakes, steering gear, hoods, doors, trunk, seats, basic controls, etc......do pretty much the same thing today that they did on a Model T. The main difference, though, is that those simple basic systems, while remaining simple underneath, are now controlled and programmed by layer upon layer of computers, electronic programming, memory-functions, mechanical and electronic back-up systems...the list is endless, and becoming more endless each year. This increasing automation has been done for a number of reasons....safety, government regulations, consumer demand for more comfort/convienience items, litigation, reliability, etc.....

So, in one sense, your friend may know very well what he is talking about...on another level, perhaps not.....I couldn't say without meeting him and/or talking to him.

Well i suppose he may know basics, but if you know your way around a car, you'll know instantly when he goes off on a topic he knows nothing about, throwing in technical terms like: viscous limited slip differential, or fuel pressure regulator, vvti solenoid. Quite simple terminology for anyone who knows their way around the engine bay or mechanical systems of a vehicle, but its obvious that he has no clue what those parts are or even do for the car haha. Just kind of cracks me up sometime

Well, you've come to the right place.....Car Chat

In that case ill definitely be around more frequently

No two people think exactly alike, of course, so it's not surprising that you and him may not see everything eye to eye.....Heck, here on Car Chat, we all have plenty of disagreements ourselves. I see some truth here on both sides. It is true that cars, in an absolute 100% sense, are just electromechanical powered devices to take us from Point A to Point B. Even the ones we love the most (as you apparently do with the 60's vintage muscle-cars) ultimately are transportation devices, though we can psychologically develop a very strong attachment to them...they can become like our kids or pets. So, no matter how much we love our cars, they are not living things that can love us back....and, like us and our frail human bodies, they will eventually wear out and be scrapped or recycled, unless restored and put in a museum.

And it is also true that a person can, in some cases, allow one's love for cars to overrule common sense, family responsibilities, and other needs, such as the need to invest and save for one's old age and retirement. Just because one has enough money in the bank right now to pay cash for that nice new vehicle that has him or her drooling means that he or she should run right out and spend it......each person's needs are different. I'm not necessarily saying DON'T do it, either....,.. (no old vehicle lasts forever, and will eventually have to be replaced).........just be sure that having that nice new vehicle in that garage or parking space doesn't impact on other needs.

Well there are the obvious right and wrong choices when it comes down to it, and im confident i know between right and ridiculous haha when it comes to extremities such as these. Im just saying i spend a good portion of my free time around cars whether it be at meets, shows, or in the garage . I just dont take too kindly to people telling me my passion is not as important as theirs or that mine doesnt matter at all

Good Luck.....and a good thread.
A very valuable and appreciated response mmarshall
Old 04-22-15, 10:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

simple answer? i don't. just like me not understanding people spending 50k on a watch or 10k on a bag. i just tell people it's an expensive hobby
Old 04-23-15, 12:45 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

DreamGS4, I'm glad you posted this cause you and I pretty much share the same passion with just about anything with wheels and a motor in it. I too, I have a hard time explaining to others my passion for cars. I too, much rather be surrounded by cars than travel the world although I like traveling myself especially when it's a road trip.

There are many that tells me the same thing like your friend. It's a waste of money, it's just a car, I'm stupid for having so many cars, etc. To me, it's a passion and even self therapy, is what I tell them. Whenever I drive my cars, it takes my mind off stress and puts a smile on my face. Whenever I drive, only then can I feel free of all my worries and enjoy my freedom. Cars are an investment I don't mind spending my money on cause to me, I feel that I get a lot back in return.
Old 04-23-15, 09:03 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

You can't.

It's also like someone telling me why they spent $100 on an overpriced t-shirt.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 04-23-15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
You can't.

It's also like someone telling me why they spent $100 on an overpriced t-shirt.
Go to Wal-Mart next time, and one probably won't have that problem.

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
Whenever I drive my cars, it takes my mind off stress and puts a smile on my face. Whenever I drive, only then can I feel free of all my worries and enjoy my freedom. Cars are an investment I don't mind spending my money on cause to me, I feel that I get a lot back in return.
A good point.....I generally agree. But, at the same time (and I'm not saying that you are guilty of this, because you probably are not).......one must also use financial common sense. It does someone no good, driving emotions or not, if they are trying to own and drive a six-figure vehicle with an income only half of that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-24-15, 08:53 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, as others have stated, you can't really explain/justify a hobby to someone who doesn't share that same enthusiasm. Ever try explaining sports to someone who just doesn't care? Same thing. You feel you invest something in it other than just the cash needed to acquire it.

Most cars in and of themselves, are a depreciating asset. I buy my cars and keep them long term so I definitely feel I get fair value out of them. My mother and my fiance both look at cars as an appliance. They expect them to just work and get them from A to B. For me, driving, cleaning, wrenching on my car is almost meditative. I admire, have pride, and enjoy using the vehicles.

Like everything in life, our passions change. When I was a young gun, I drooled over the supercars of the time (Countach, Testarossa) but now I find myself really interested in the cars I can see myself buying (MB S Coupe, future SC, etc) not so much supercars or concepts. Now with a fiance and planning on a family, I'm still looking at cars, but much more interested in safety and crash test results. Doesn't make me less of an enthusiast (still looking forward to that S Coupe or SC, c'mon Lexus!)
Old 04-24-15, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Well, as others have stated, you can't really explain/justify a hobby to someone who doesn't share that same enthusiasm. Ever try explaining sports to someone who just doesn't care? Same thing. You feel you invest something in it other than just the cash needed to acquire it.

Most cars in and of themselves, are a depreciating asset. I buy my cars and keep them long term so I definitely feel I get fair value out of them. My mother and my fiance both look at cars as an appliance. They expect them to just work and get them from A to B. For me, driving, cleaning, wrenching on my car is almost meditative. I admire, have pride, and enjoy using the vehicles.

Like everything in life, our passions change. When I was a young gun, I drooled over the supercars of the time (Countach, Testarossa) but now I find myself really interested in the cars I can see myself buying (MB S Coupe, future SC, etc) not so much supercars or concepts. Now with a fiance and planning on a family, I'm still looking at cars, but much more interested in safety and crash test results. Doesn't make me less of an enthusiast (still looking forward to that S Coupe or SC, c'mon Lexus!)
interesting you said that. years ago when i was all about mods and changing things here and there. but now with kids and other higher priorities? i start to focus on more out of the package deal like m5, e63, etc... don't think i am less enthusiastic in cars, just different directions
Old 04-24-15, 10:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One other factor that people can, and do, sometimes overlook is that one can be a car enthusiast without being a speed, power, or aggressive-driving enthusiast (note my own avatar and signature). I learned that lesson many years ago, even back when I was a teen-ager, though, of course, growing up in the era of classic American muscle-cars, I was no stranger to punching it once in a while. Of course, roads were a whole lot more empty and less-congested then, and the chances of having an accident were less. But the cars themselves were less-safe if you DID have an accident, and did not have many of today's features to protect you. But, acquiring relatively good driving habits at an early age from the start, and keeping my nose clean most of the time, served me well over the years.
Old 04-24-15, 10:36 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

In the beginning, when automobiles were 1st invented, cars were toys of the rich & adventure seekers. People got around by horse power, real horses. Eventually thru mass production cars became more affordable & practical, & people needed one. Extensive road building transformed cars into the "Great American Freedom Machine". Now every adult "needs" one, why not get one that is more enjoyable than the basic econobox? People choose different ways to spend their discretionary income. Many people choose to drink their's. Usually housing is a persons biggest expense, followed by their vehicles. I find it somewhat ignorant to not educate oneself about your biggest expenses in order to minimize the expense.

I think for many people, lack of enthusiasm for cars, stems from their introduction to cars & budget costs. I have seen many people transform during their 1st drive in a sporty car. Some people don't like riding a rollercoaster, I think it's a good idea to own your personal rollercoaster, you never know when you will need a good ride!
Old 04-24-15, 01:35 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

"you just don't get it. and that's ok."

"I have things I like to do, you have things you like to do."

no need to explain more

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Explain Your Love and Passion for Cars to a nonenthusiast