Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to Explain Your Love and Passion for Cars to a nonenthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-15, 07:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

@DreamGS4 - as some have stated, it comes down to "to each their own".

For some, spending thousands of dollars travelling makes them happy - i.e, your good friend. Great and I respect that. For me, that would make me miserable and instead, spending money on cars, washing them up, taking pics, working on them etc, makes me happy.

Explain this to your friend and find a middle ground on interests both of you can share in, otherwise is he really your good friend?
Old 04-26-15, 09:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

If he thinks cars are just materialistic money pits, then he's not a car enthusiast whether he says he is or not.

I know lots of people who don't get it, my wife doesn't get it. I had a conversation a while back with a friend of mine who doesn't understand why I pay so much for cars. I explained it to him. Some people have boats, some people belong to country clubs and play golf (he does), some people spend $10k on a bag or $50k on a watch like rominl said, some people have huge homes...I drive nice cars that I enjoy. Driving them, washing them, taking care of them, admiring them and talking about them gives me a great deal of enjoyment. In today's world where we all work hard and life moves so fast...what value does someone put on their enjoyment of something? I spend more time in my car than I do my office, and sometimes even my house. Its well worth it to me to spend serious money on a car I really love...because it makes every day a better day.

I have another friend who doesn't have kids (she IS a car enthusiast), and now that we have our twins she keeps reacting in horror when I discuss my next car, etc. She's like "You're going to keep spending all this money on a car when you have newborn babies?!?" or "How can you pay for unlimited carwashes monthly now that you have babies?". Its just absurd. $90 a month for carwashes? My kids are going to starve if I spend $90 on carwashes in a month?

People are weird lol

The issue I have with it is, I don't make a comment to him about when he leaves the office to go play golf...yet as the car guy I get comments from him all the time. It would be a waste for him to spend the kind of money I do on a car because he would derive no enjoyment out of it. It would be a waste for me to spend the money he does on his country club membership because I suck at golf. But...doesn't mean its a waste of money for him. He just doesn't understand that its the same thing which is fine.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-26-15 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I spend more time in my car than I do my office, and sometimes even my house. Its well worth it to me to spend serious money on a car I really love...because it makes every day a better day.
Yep...in D.C.-area traffic, it's nice to have a car with a pleasant interior. One is going to be spending a fair amount of time in it.

"How can you pay for unlimited carwashes monthly now that you have babies?". Its just absurd. $90 a month for carwashes? My kids are going to starve if I spend $90 on carwashes in a month?
The alternative, of course, is spending a couple of hours doing it yourself, thoroughly, inside and out (like I do), but many people don't have the time, facilities, patience, or energy for that.

People are weird lol
Not so much weird, as just sometimes so used to a certain life-style, with no patience, that it is very difficult or impossible for them to imagine anything else.
Old 04-27-15, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The alternative, of course, is spending a couple of hours doing it yourself, thoroughly, inside and out (like I do), but many people don't have the time, facilities, patience, or energy for that.
I will spend hours polishing, touching up, cleaning the interior, waxing...but I dislike washing cars. Especially with the van being so big, its a big job to wash it.
Old 05-04-15, 11:35 AM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@sw13gs

Well that was very well said, i had never really thought to explain it that way.. I've tried time and time again to explain and even if i explain it to him that way i dont think he'll understand, nor will my family members.. At least my old man knows where im coming from and for that i am thankful . Like others have said here, sometimes its just pointless to try and make people understand, because they wont until they wear the same shoes or they actually want to try and understand. But again, very well said

I get much enjoyment from just driving an old clunker like my 66 chevy. Shes old yes, gets horrible gas millage yes, has no AC, manual windows, smells like fuel, handles like a boat, but hey... they just dont make cars like that anymore, and well there just isnt anything quite like some classic american muscle

My lex, is a little old yeah, people always ask why i drive a 98 instead of buying a new one (while that would be fine and dandy) i do still enjoy the comforts of the older styled interiors, all plush and squishy you know? And well very simply, theres no new car that looks like my 2GS! People dont understand us and thats fine, but just don't tell us our passion for cars is a waste of time

Last edited by DreamGS4; 05-04-15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-04-15, 03:26 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to differentiate is an enthusiast and someone who's passionate. I consider myself an enthusiast. I love cars, all types, and read up on other makes, models, etc. Much like most of us who visit CL regularly.

My sister has a corolla. Hardly an enthusiast's car. And she knows nothing about it. Engine, maintenance, etc. Nothing. But she loves her car. She brings it to the car wash regularly, checks it for dings, buys little trinkets for it, and when a light pops up on the dash, she lets me or our father know right away.

When a she bought it, I spoke to her about the AE86 Corolla and she looked at me like a 3rd eye had suddenly sprouted on my forehead.

Every now and then I think with just a little push she could cross the line to becoming an enthusiast, but no go. LOL
Old 05-07-15, 05:25 PM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T0ked
One thing to differentiate is an enthusiast and someone who's passionate. I consider myself an enthusiast. I love cars, all types, and read up on other makes, models, etc. Much like most of us who visit CL regularly.

My sister has a corolla. Hardly an enthusiast's car. And she knows nothing about it. Engine, maintenance, etc. Nothing. But she loves her car. She brings it to the car wash regularly, checks it for dings, buys little trinkets for it, and when a light pops up on the dash, she lets me or our father know right away.

When a she bought it, I spoke to her about the AE86 Corolla and she looked at me like a 3rd eye had suddenly sprouted on my forehead.

Every now and then I think with just a little push she could cross the line to becoming an enthusiast, but no go. LOL
Its always exciting to bring someone into our world and show them the world of automobiles through our eyes. My younger brother used to always give me an ear full about how i spend so much time and money on my cars and all they are good for is getting you from point A to B. But it all changed when he was old enough to drive and buy his own car. I convinced him to buy a car he could at least have fun driving even if he wasnt a car guy. So he bought a 91 MR2 Turbo, that and from that point on, he was hooked for good . Im thankful i can share my enthusiasm with him, sometimes all they need a little push, and theyre hooked!

Maybe your sister should have gotten that 86 even if it wasnt her cup of tea! orrr the AE92 GTS is a car id certainly love to drive, especially with silver top 20v swap . Keep trying and maybe one day she'll cross the bridge!
Old 05-07-15, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Exactly. And, not only that, but one can easily be a car enthusiast without being a speed or aggressive-driving enthusiast.

Well, then, if she has some spare time, and you have some spare time, perhaps it's time for you to give her some simple lessons in basic auto design. Sounds like she'd be eager to learn.
Old 05-08-15, 11:52 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly. And, not only that, but one can easily be a car enthusiast without being a speed or aggressive-driving enthusiast.

Well, then, if she has some spare time, and you have some spare time, perhaps it's time for you to give her some simple lessons in basic auto design. Sounds like she'd be eager to learn.
I wish that was the case. If tried numerous times. Even just explaining why motor oil needs to be changed, she'll look at me like i turned into an alien. Never mind getting her fingernails dirty. At this point I'm just happy that she treats her Corolla so well and keeps it clean and (I keep it) waxed. When that maintenance light comes on, it's the end of the world!