Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 11:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup

Joe Hinrichs: "Another way Lincoln could distinguish itself is to leverage its heritage. So I'll leave it at that."

DETROIT -- Does the Lincoln Continental mark the beginning of the end of the brand’s confusing “MK” naming scheme?

Joe Hinrichs, Ford Motor Co.’s president of the Americas, today gave the strongest hint yet that the company is ready to bring back real words, possibly by reviving iconic names such as the Town Car.

“Without divulging the future,” Hinrichs said, “we’re very excited about the Continental name and the attention it’s gotten.”

Lincoln’s announcement last month that the Continental will replace the MKS next year signaled that the automaker might be rethinking its decision to drop actual names nearly a decade ago. Asked about that at an auto industry breakfast hosted by the Dawda Mann law firm, Hinrichs acknowledged that the MK monikers can be hard for anyone who’s not a Ford executive to keep straight.

“I get it,” Hinrichs said. “I know MKX and C and Z and T. I’ve studied them very well. I know them well, but we also understand the issue. It’s, frankly, where the auto industry -- the premium industry -- has gone, if you look at all the nameplates. But another way Lincoln could distinguish itself is to leverage its heritage. So I’ll leave it at that.”

The alphabetic approach was originally conceived as a nod to Lincoln’s past, with the MK pronounced “Mark,” a reference to the Continental Mark series. (For example, the Lincoln Zephyr, on the market for only one model year, would henceforth be the “Mark Z,” executives proclaimed in 2006, earning a spot on Automotive News’ list of the year’s 10 biggest blunders.)

Alan Mulally, who became CEO shortly after that happened, candidly told reporters he didn’t like the change, but eventually said he came to terms with the new scheme.

Now his successor, MK Fields, is pouring money into Lincoln’s revitalization effort and trying to zig while other luxury brands zag. Fields and then-marketing chief Jim Farley announced internally about 18 months ago that Lincoln’s next full-size sedan would be called the Continental.

That name is a big reason for the buzz surrounding the Continental Concept since its unveiling at the New York auto show. Motor Trend put it on the front of its June issue, with the headline “Continental is back.” Hinrichs proudly said that’s the first time in 15 years that a Lincoln made the magazine’s cover.

Ford also has been thrilled with the recent performance of the one Lincoln that still has a pronounceable name: the Navigator, whose sales are up 84 percent this year. Meanwhile, all of Lincoln’s MK-named vehicles are down 7.2 percent.

In 2006, Lincoln justified the name changes as a way to get people to focus on the brand as a whole rather than individual models. Instead, most people just ignored the brand entirely.

Now that Lincoln might finally be on the comeback trail, executives sound like they’ve realized there’s one thing still missing: vowels.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...-alphabet-soup
Old 04-22-15, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Hinrichs acknowledged that the MK monikers can be hard for anyone who’s not a Ford executive to keep straight.
Most of us here on Car Chat, who discuss vehicles every day, probably don't have any problem with the alphabet soup from Lincoln, Cadillac, Acura, etc..... as we're used to it. But, yes, those who aren't familiar with it, or don't regularly use it, might have some problems remembering which vehicle is which.
Old 04-22-15, 11:26 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Anyone else find it ironic that MK Fields is the CEO to drop the MK- nomenclature?
Old 04-22-15, 11:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What an absolute mess Lincoln is in.

They are right to have an alphabet nomenclature but the MK? System sucks.

They need to go to the Lexus or MB system of having M$$$

The Town Car name is irrelevant if they want to compete with the Tier 1 luxury manufacturers.
Old 04-22-15, 11:40 AM
Hoovey689

MK pronounced “Mark”
I've known this since they added it but like most others I just say 'M, K, (C,Z,K,T,S)'

At least they won't have to change Navigator! Gosh I hope they bring back the Aviator name. Loved that short lived 300hp Explorer!
Old 04-22-15, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Anyone else find it ironic that MK Fields is the CEO to drop the MK- nomenclature?
That was obviously a typo. His correct name is Mark Fields. But, yes, it is ironic that the whole reason Lincoln used the MK term in its alphabet soup comes from the classic and historic Lincoln Mark series.
Old 04-22-15, 12:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I've known this since they added it but like most others I just say 'M, K, (C,Z,K,T,S)'

At least they won't have to change Navigator! Gosh I hope they bring back the Aviator name. Loved that short lived 300hp Explorer!
The best Lincoln name was the Lincoln LS
Old 04-22-15, 12:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Originally Posted by mmarshall
That was obviously a typo. His correct name is Mark Fields. But, yes, it is ironic that the whole reason Lincoln used the MK term in its alphabet soup comes from the classic and historic Lincoln Mark series.

Freudian slip.
Old 04-22-15, 12:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At least with the Cadillac renaming nonsense, there is going to be some logical progression: the CT2 will be on the entry level, then will step up with CT4, CT6, or whatever the names will be.

The same sorta can be said for the Infiniti naming.

The Lincoln names are random and have no logic to them.
Old 04-22-15, 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The best Lincoln name was the Lincoln LS
Not sure about the name, but the Lincoln LS was an excellent RWD sedan especially with the 2003-2006 3.9L V8 (derived from Jaguar 4.0) and it had 50/50 weight distribution
Old 04-22-15, 12:49 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Good for Lincoln. Their current name system sucks, I'm an enthusiast and can't keep it straight in my head. Might also be that their cars are the ugly way to pay too much for a top trim level Ford, so I never bothered learning the names.
Old 04-22-15, 12:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Good for Lincoln. Their current name system sucks, I'm an enthusiast and can't keep it straight in my head.
From what I've seen, you're easily bright enough to remember them. It just takes a little time. I didn't learn them overnight myself.

Might also be that their cars are the ugly way to pay too much for a top trim level Ford, so I never bothered learning the names.
Those simple-rebadged-Ford days, while true in the recent past, are now quickly fading. The new MKC, for example, is vastly different from the Escape, on whose platform it was derived. I haven't reviewed the new MKX yet, but, from my limited exposure to it, it seems to be following in the MKC's footsteps.
Old 04-22-15, 01:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Good for Lincoln. Their current name system sucks, I'm an enthusiast and can't keep it straight in my head. Might also be that their cars are the ugly way to pay too much for a top trim level Ford, so I never bothered learning the names.
I think this sums it up pretty good.
Old 04-22-15, 01:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

If Lincoln thinks their sales are down because of the naming and not because of the cars, thats pretty sad.
Old 04-22-15, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
If Lincoln thinks their sales are down because of the naming and not because of the cars, thats pretty sad.
The naming certainly didn't help. Can't blame it all on the vehicles.

Quick Reply: Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup