Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Downsizing 2.0t

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 06:00 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downsizing 2.0t

Moderators: not sure if this is the correct forum or if the issue has been discussed elsewhere( please provide the link).

Birds in the sky say that the 2.0t turbo currently powering NX will eventually will trickle down to all models. I guess lexus has to deal with the CAFE average too ha! While this is a great news for those considering IS 250 (that weak motor should have been put to death a long time ago. Shame on you Lexus!). I am wondering what are your opinions/reactions about this? For an example, it could be a good news for those who want a cheaper Lexus with a smaller engine (imagine a GS200t and RC200t in addition to NX200t. Also imagine a more efficient ES200t and RX200t, too). Let's start a discussion !
Old 04-18-15, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by fly2low
While this is a great news for those considering IS 250 (that weak motor should have been put to death a long time ago. Shame on you Lexus!).
The IS250AWD is very popular in my area (D.C. suburbs) where the AWD seems to handily outsell the RWD. I can't speak for them all, but the IS250 AWD owners I've known have been very satisfied with their cars (they apparently aren't speed freaks), even though that engine is even weaker with the added weight and drag of AWD. I don't think they care if the IS switches to a 2.0T or not.
Old 04-18-15, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

How do you know this is true?

Lexus could make a 2.5 t.
Old 04-18-15, 07:13 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is really good news. Previously owning a 3IS250, I can tell you it was weak.
This news has been discussed in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ly-coming.html
Old 04-18-15, 07:14 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

while the 2.5 V6 is slow, i'd still prefer that over a turbo 4, just for quietness, smoothness alone.
Old 04-18-15, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tea
while the 2.5 V6 is slow, I'd still prefer that over a turbo 4, just for quietness, smoothness alone.
Normally-aspirated engines also have other advantages as well, including less complexity, less heat-generation, less stress on a number of the internal moving parts, and the ability, in some cases, to use lower-octane gas and less-expensive semi-synthetic oil instead of full-synthetic. Some newer turbos, though, also have the ability to run on regular gas.
Old 04-18-15, 07:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by fly2low
Moderators: not sure if this is the correct forum or if the issue has been discussed elsewhere( please provide the link).

Birds in the sky say that the 2.0t turbo currently powering NX will eventually will trickle down to all models. I guess lexus has to deal with the CAFE average too ha! While this is a great news for those considering IS 250 (that weak motor should have been put to death a long time ago. Shame on you Lexus!). I am wondering what are your opinions/reactions about this? For an example, it could be a good news for those who want a cheaper Lexus with a smaller engine (imagine a GS200t and RC200t in addition to NX200t. Also imagine a more efficient ES200t and RX200t, too). Let's start a discussion !
is it actually going to be cheaper than 2.5l V6 to produce? A lot more tech inside... 2.5l never got D4S for instance to keep it cheaper.

Of course, no doubt,it will be a better overall engine.
Old 04-19-15, 08:18 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
while the 2.5 V6 is slow, i'd still prefer that over a turbo 4, just for quietness, smoothness alone.
all else being equal, a turbo engine is more quiet than a NA engine, and not inherently any less smooth depending upon size and tune. if those were your only two reasons for being contrarian, i suppose you are now free to make the switch
Old 04-19-15, 02:04 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not only about cheaper. For IS it is likely a better mpg with more power. For other models, it gives an option to buyers with cheaper entry point while getting a better Mpg for Lexus as a make, facing the unavoidable CAFE regulations
Old 04-19-15, 08:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by elusive
It is really good news. Previously owning a 3IS250, I can tell you it was weak.
This news has been discussed in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ly-coming.html
Yep had a 3is250 as well....the auto 6 spd downshifting to go over an overpass was annoying.
Old 04-19-15, 08:37 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Normally-aspirated engines also have other advantages as well, including less complexity, less heat-generation, less stress on a number of the internal moving parts, and the ability, in some cases, to use lower-octane gas and less-expensive semi-synthetic oil instead of full-synthetic. Some newer turbos, though, also have the ability to run on regular gas.
I say go back to the Ford Model T motor...way simpler than the v6
Old 04-19-15, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I say go back to the Ford Model T motor...way simpler than the v6
If NVH, 20 HP and 83 ft-lbs of torque is your thing, be my guest. Thanks, but I'll take a normally-aspirated V6.
Old 04-20-15, 12:33 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
all else being equal, a turbo engine is more quiet than a NA engine, and not inherently any less smooth depending upon size and tune. if those were your only two reasons for being contrarian, i suppose you are now free to make the switch
i'm sorry, but i'm gonna have to disagree. I've tried some of these new turbo 4s companies are coming out with, and the only one i'd consider is the BMW's
Old 04-20-15, 05:40 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Unfortunately, in a lot of Asian markets with heavy taxes on imported cars, Toyota uses weedy 4 cylinder engines like on the ES200/250 and NX200.150 hp and not much torque might be tolerable in a lighter ES but it's mad trying to drag a 2000 kg NX with that lump.

The turbo NX200t is much better mainly for the torque.
Old 04-20-15, 06:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Unfortunately, in a lot of Asian markets with heavy taxes on imported cars, Toyota uses weedy 4 cylinder engines like on the ES200/250 and NX200.150 hp and not much torque might be tolerable in a lighter ES but it's mad trying to drag a 2000 kg NX with that lump.

The turbo NX200t is much better mainly for the torque.
new 4cly should be fine... 10% more torque at any point will help to make it decent in ES.

Now NX really does need that engine as well. It is not 2 ton vehicle, but sure is around 1700kg in base form.

Quick Reply: Downsizing 2.0t