Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New here. Benz owner. Why should I get a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 01:08 PM
Rissatx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. Benz owner. Why should I get a Lexus?

So have always been a Benz owner. Tell me why I should switch to your world? I have been told nothing tops a Lexus and looking into a new one. Was active on Benz sites for questions so thought I woyld peek here
Old 04-16-15, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Though a former IS300 owner, I don't currently own a Lexus myself (or, for that matter, neither do even some of the moderators and staff). So, it's not like we're currently just one big group of Lexus fan-boys that drink Lexus Kool-Aid day and night. In fact, in the CAR CHAT forum, we talk about not only just Lexus products, but anything on four wheels (and sometimes two or three wheels), 24/7, round-the-clock.

So, if you want to keep your M-B, and join up here, fine......you don't have to switch to a Lexus. But, to answer your original question, IMO, there are some advantages to switching to Lexus from an M-B product. In general, a Lexus product will be more reliable in the long haul, require less service/repairs, and probably cost substantially less to service or repair when it does. M-B service shops are known for wallet-draining prices, when the work is not free or warranty-covered. In fact, when I had my IS300, a lot of routine things and small repairs, things, as long as it was non-warranty-related, could be done at one of the local Toyota shops for even less money, using many of the same Toyota-sourced parts and filters that a Lexus shop uses. Warranty work on a Lexus, though, usually requires an actual Lexus dealer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-15 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 04:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome. There are probably countless reasons as to why you should switch from MB to Lexus, and just as much to convince you to stay at MB. It is possible to be fans of both brands, as I am. The two are not mutually exclusive. You have to ask yourself what priorities you have, since the brands have different brand messages, styles, and choices from an engineering standpoint.

In the past, Lexus stood for luxury for less money, for just about the same prestige, and much better reliability and service. A lot of those thing are pretty eroded now, and the gap between what I just mentioned has substantially shrank in my opinion. MB reliability has really stepped up and also they often give good discounts so they have good prices too. Now you basically have to look at design and content. In my eye, Lexus has been in a somewhat downward slump these past few years, with less than spectacular products between 2010-current in some models, be it from their powertrains and interior materials. They have somewhat corrected this recently with new models.

Ask yourself if you like the Lexus design language and their features.

Last edited by RXSF; 04-16-15 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 05:42 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I owned three Acuras before buying my Lexus GX 460. I don't really care for the look of the Lexus that I own, but I was focused on the reliability. I considered a MB GL 550, 2010 model (luxurious and better performance).
My instinct was to stick with reliability so here I am with a Lexus...No regrets

I am a long- term owner, I drive my cars over 200,000 miles, if you can lease or keep a MB under warranty I would go for it.
Old 04-16-15, 06:33 PM
Rissatx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the info. I drove in my friends Lexus last week and couldn't believe the difference. Will be looking this week!
Old 04-17-15, 04:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Rissatx
Thanks for all of the info. I drove in my friends Lexus last week and couldn't believe the difference. Will be looking this week!
welcome. couldn't believe the difference between your benz and the lexus? what year/model do you have and what year/model lexus were you driving?

lexus drivetrains are generally very smooth, refined, and quiet. controls are straightforward and tastefully done.

mercedes has stepped up their game hugely in the past several years though.
Old 04-17-15, 05:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what year model did you ride in?
Old 04-17-15, 07:24 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All depends on which models you're comparing. In certain classes, they are quite evenly matched depending on what kind of performance you're looking for. In other areas, one has a distinct advantage over the other.
Old 04-17-15, 09:46 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The thing about Lexus is that their cars hold up over the long haul. There are plenty of people on this forum that can personally attest to owning a Lexus 10-20 years and 200k miles and doing nothing but routine maintenance on it.
Old 04-17-15, 10:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

What kind of Mercedes do you drive and what kind of Lexus are you looking for? Lexus is a fantastic brand but it's hard to make a recommendation with such general statements.
Old 04-17-15, 11:01 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

A brand to brand comparison is not fair, its better to compare models. MB does somethings better than lexus and vice versa. What are you looking at?
Old 04-17-15, 08:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not enough information for anyone on this forum to comment. If you are driving a new S-Class Coupe there is no reason for you to look at Lexus at all (aside from maintenance costs.)
Old 04-17-15, 09:46 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Going to say the same thing, I am sort of considering the 2014 E class Mercedes but what is pushing me back is what happens after 100K miles. That thing is going to be expensive to fix. Keep it 100K or less then keep it if want to put more on it I would go with Lexus or Acura. even maybe Infinity.
Old 04-18-15, 01:14 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

If u are buying used get a Lexus.
If u are buying new, then on entry level to mid level luxury, MB and Lexus are competitive.
If u want high performance or high level luxury, MB is your better choice.
Old 04-19-15, 02:08 PM
fly2low
Driver

Go to a lexus dealer and see if there is amything you like. Then test drive
It. Work the numbers see if that make sense. Why would you ask people on what car you should buy. You buy what you like.

Quick Reply: New here. Benz owner. Why should I get a Lexus?