Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ward's Auto 10 Best Interiors for 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 09:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

List is on crack. It appears they rated what looked "different", rather than what is actual quality, luxury, or sporting.
Old 04-18-15, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
List is on crack. It appears they rated what looked "different", rather than what is actual quality, luxury, or sporting.
You have to understand the criteria they use to determine what is a "best" interior.

They look at cars within their segments, cars that are new or substantially changed that year. They don't compare say a Fit to an S550 that would be unfair...they compare a Fit to the other cars it competes against, and they look at how improved that new interior is from the previous interior, etc.

Using the Sedona because I just bought one and compared it to every other Minivan. True, the interior doesn't stand out overall when compared to cars in general, it is a HUGE improvement over the previous Sedona, and it is the best interior of all the minivans by a mile. I can understand the choice.

If you compare a Fit to a Yaris, etc its probably similar. Jeep Renegade compared to a Kia Soul...etc
Old 04-18-15, 08:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You have to understand the criteria they use to determine what is a "best" interior.

They look at cars within their segments, cars that are new or substantially changed that year. They don't compare say a Fit to an S550 that would be unfair...they compare a Fit to the other cars it competes against, and they look at how improved that new interior is from the previous interior, etc.

Using the Sedona because I just bought one and compared it to every other Minivan. True, the interior doesn't stand out overall when compared to cars in general, it is a HUGE improvement over the previous Sedona, and it is the best interior of all the minivans by a mile. I can understand the choice.

If you compare a Fit to a Yaris, etc its probably similar. Jeep Renegade compared to a Kia Soul...etc
I can understand what you are trying to say. And that's probably how the article is rating things. But I think in the end, it's an injustice. Just because a model is improved over it's predecessor, doesn't necessarily mean it's good or the best. Nor does comparing it to a crappy competitor. That competitor may be so down in the dumps, that ANYTHING is better. All of this just throws in results that really aren't justified or qualified. It's the same principal as when people review the new GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado. Their predecessors were as low as ratings could have ever gone, but the majority of reviews of the new ones are glowing due to comparison of the past (Yes, these could actually be good vehicles, just using an example). Again, this is not what makes something rank on top. It's simply pointing out something is improved. Two different things, and end results that mislead the public.
Old 04-19-15, 05:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I can understand what you are trying to say. And that's probably how the article is rating things. But I think in the end, it's an injustice. Just because a model is improved over it's predecessor, doesn't necessarily mean it's good or the best. Nor does comparing it to a crappy competitor. That competitor may be so down in the dumps, that ANYTHING is better. All of this just throws in results that really aren't justified or qualified. It's the same principal as when people review the new GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado. Their predecessors were as low as ratings could have ever gone, but the majority of reviews of the new ones are glowing due to comparison of the past (Yes, these could actually be good vehicles, just using an example). Again, this is not what makes something rank on top. It's simply pointing out something is improved. Two different things, and end results that mislead the public.
Its not probably how Ward's rates things...it is how they rate things. If they rated things the way you want to see them rated, every "10 Best" interior would be some out of reach luxury car and what use would that list be to an ordinary carbuyer? If one doesn't compare the interior of a car against its competitors and judge it compared with other vehicles a buyer is going to be looking at...what value is the review/comparison to anybody?

Its not just that its improved, its how much its improved coupled with how it compares to other vehicles in its class. If an interior is much improved and is still not best in class, it doesn't win. If its best in class but has been forever...it doesn't win. The idea is that the interior has somehow set the bar for that vehicle and that segment.

The criteria they use to judge interiors depends on the category too. For instance, the Fit and the GS were not judged on equal playing fields. Different things are important to different segments.

For the Colorado & Canyon, yes they are much improved from the past...but they are also heads and shoulders the best interiors in their class. Hence...why they won.