Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Caliper paint opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 10:31 AM
gr8bryt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Caliper paint opinions

Greetings fellow CL members! I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate forum to for this post, so please forgive me if it needs to be moved. I figured I'd start here though since it's not a technical question.

I'm upgrading my front brakes on my '03 GS to a LS 4-piston setup. My car is black and I'm getting the black EBC slotted rotors. I've decided that I'm going to paint my calipers, but I can't decide to match them to my wheels, or to go with Speedway Blue for contrast. I considered Ultrasonic Blue, but I think it's too dark; and I don't want black calipers for sure! I somewhat have a Carolina Panthers theme going on with my car, but that only extends to a front vanity plate and a lanyard hanging from my rearview mirror. Thank you in advance for your opinions.
Caliper paint opinions-img_2087.jpg
Old 04-16-15, 01:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

please God, not red like 50 billion other people have.
Old 04-16-15, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
please God, not red like 50 billion other people have.
Hey....the OP just might like red. And, of course, Brembo uses it.....one of the most respected names in brake-technology.

(of course, he DID ask for opinions......................)

gr8bryt, if you're a Panthers fan, though, and you want a team-color theme for your car and rotors, I don't see anything wrong with the classic light-to-medium blue used on the team's uniform.
Old 04-16-15, 05:18 PM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

powder coating your calipers? or the economic caliper paint bought from your local autozone? If powder coating then speedway blue has my vote! Red always stands out and is pretty much associated with Brembo, probably why so many people choose it, i mean heck i would too! What about yellow? not sure how it would look on the 2gs, but yellow definitely stands out, just my two cents
Old 04-17-15, 08:30 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't paint it a light color unless you really enjoy looking at dirty calipers and wanting to clean them all the time.Brake dust does a number on caliper spray paint. If you're planning on doing the bargain basement thing and masking up your rotor and just going it with a rattle can, I'd just do a nice black or silver color. If you're going to powdercoat or take off the caliper, clean it correctly and properly spray paint it, the blue would look nice. I'm not partial to painted red or yellow calipers as they look very "poseur-ish" as it'll be very easy to see they are not high performance Brembo or Wilwood calipers.
Old 04-17-15, 08:36 AM
gr8bryt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the inputs. I haven't installed the calipers yet. If I go w/ Speedway Blue, I'll have a paint shop do it for me. If I decide silver, I'll just get it from the closest parts store.