Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chris Harris:What The F Is A Lexus Performance Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup. that's why as much as i love the LFA i think it was a big mistake to launch such a high end and very limited availability product WITHOUT having much of a game plan in any reasonable time frame to bring more excitement to the rest of the product line. the roll-out of 'f' has been woefully slow but we've been here before with l-tuned, trd, f-sport. BUT, sloowly, lexus is getting there.
what i have been criticizing lexus too. they just haven't done what's necessary after the big statements / success with lfa. rcf, and then the gsf. i personally feel the lfa was "wasted"
Old 04-14-15, 12:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LOL

So now the M4 that has a huge backseat and is the SAME exact size as the RCF is a SPORTS car.
GT cars are designed to be comfortable first. M is harsher riding and harder to control but better performing - that is a sportscar. RCF fits the definition of a GT car more than an M does and vice versa for sportscar. Yes a 911 is considered a GT car. R8 is a GT car, Lamborghini is a sportscar.

You look at size way too one dimensionally. For example, you know an AMG GT is only 2" shorter than an M/RCF, yet only a 2 seater? Wheelbase determines interior space, not overall car length. AMG GT has 7" less wheelbase, yet only 2" shorter? Its because its hood is massive. Many other coupes are like this. This is what classic FR coupe proportions are suppose to be: long hood, short wheelbase, short rear overhang. Every true FR coupe out there is like this: Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Viper, etc.

M4 has the same wheelbase as the 3, because its based off a sedan. Of course a coupe that is based off a sedan is going to have more backseat room than one originally designed as a coupe. So it has more room, but what it doesnt have is coupe proportions. Which is why the M3 looks FAR better and not to mention cheaper.
Old 04-14-15, 12:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

porsche 911 and audi r8 are more GT cars than the bmw m4. i have really seen it all now
Old 04-14-15, 12:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so you conveniently pointed out that the m4 are rcf are two different cars, but then the rcf and porsche should be put together in the same talk?

i personally put porsche in a even more sports car category than the m4. side by side against a porsche 911s or gt3, the m4 and rcf are like cruisers to me.

so yeah, let's not put them together
and you didnt even understand what I was pointing out. CH obviously loves turbo cars, so its natural he calls a 5.0 NA V8 engine outdated. Yet later on he writes an article complaining that NA 911 cars are all going turbo and possibly losing its NA driveability. Wait how come its not outdated when Porsche does it? Guy cant even make up his mind on what he wants. If he liked turbo cars why complain about all 911s going turbo? Lexus stuck with NA for the same reason Porsche kept NA on its 911s up till now and especially its top 911. If CH was consistent there wouldnt be complaints but he is blatantly inconsistent. Its because of this NA driveability that a car with a 400# weight disadvantage can somehow stay competitive with a much lighter car. On paper, M should be beating the RCF on a track decisively, but hardly. You know what else matched the M4 and RCF in the Head 2 Head Motor Trend tests? Camaro 1LE and the new Mustang GT, they are also using "outdated" engines.
Old 04-14-15, 12:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

^
Ok im confused.
M4 is a sports car because it rides harsh????? Lol

Any 911 even the base one rides a lot harsher and is much less comfortable on the freeway.

In the M4 and RCF the car is based on sedan chassis therefore doesnt have the low center of gravity of MB GT or 911 which were designed without compromises.

From your comments it appears you never driven a 911 or current M4.
Please drive them - they are worlds apart.
Old 04-14-15, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i personally feel the lfa was "wasted"
succinctly put, from a branding / momentum standpoint. of course lexus no doubt learned a bunch from building it and that tech has and will spill into other vehicles bit by bit.

i will say again to all that i was blown away completely by the LFA. it is SPECTACULAR in looks, sounds, and execution. i don't believe it has stupid sound generators like other cars, and it has PERFECT stance/fitment. it is a rightful heir to japan's first great supercar, the nsx. not necessarily the best at any one thing, but as an overall package, simply sublime, and daily drivable.

but yes, apart from appearances in hit and miss commercials, some trade shows, and enthusiast events that buyers of other brands won't really notice, they didn't get much mileage out of it.

the BIGGEST compliment it got was probably from that crazy brit clarkson.
Old 04-14-15, 01:16 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jalopnik attacks Lexus for not making more high powered cars like the LFA. But then they attack the LFA for "being the worst halo car of all time". You can't win. Lol...The LFA was criticized for being too expensive, too exclusive. But if that's what it takes to make a halo car with Lexus caliber, then the Jalponik critics should pay up. Lexus has no obligation to Jalopnik writers to make the LFA affordable to them.

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-l...l-t-1651833560
Old 04-14-15, 01:29 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Jalopnik attacks Lexus for not making more high powered cars like the LFA. But then they attack the LFA for "being the worst halo car of all time". You can't win. Lol...The LFA was criticized for being too expensive, too exclusive. But if that's what it takes to make a halo car with Lexus caliber, then the Jalponik critics should pay up. Lexus has no obligation to Jalopnik writers to make the LFA affordable to them.

http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-l...l-t-1651833560
Jalopnik is just a medium for free lance writers to post their opinion, Jalopnik is an organization. Why are they expected to have a unified opinion? Now this review was written by Chris Harris, Chris has always liked the LFA.

I hope this helps...
Old 04-14-15, 01:33 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and you didnt even understand what I was pointing out. CH obviously loves turbo cars, so its natural he calls a 5.0 NA V8 engine outdated. Yet later on he writes an article complaining that NA 911 cars are all going turbo and possibly losing its NA driveability. Wait how come its not outdated when Porsche does it? Guy cant even make up his mind on what he wants. If he liked turbo cars why complain about all 911s going turbo? Lexus stuck with NA for the same reason Porsche kept NA on its 911s up till now and especially its top 911. If CH was consistent there wouldnt be complaints but he is blatantly inconsistent. Its because of this NA driveability that a car with a 400# weight disadvantage can somehow stay competitive with a much lighter car. On paper, M should be beating the RCF on a track decisively, but hardly. You know what else matched the M4 and RCF in the Head 2 Head Motor Trend tests? Camaro 1LE and the new Mustang GT, they are also using "outdated" engines.
Its outdated because its OLD!! AMG has produced 3 engines in the lexus has created one.

The RC-F is made out of old recycled parts, it brings nothing new to the table. Todays F cars would have been great, even class leading about 8 years ago... Why are you comparing a 911 to the rc-f, two very different cars.
Old 04-14-15, 02:02 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

People can't handle the fact that F brand has been diluted with such decision to put out incompetent products.
M4 rides firmer than RC-F, not harsher. It's a great daily driver, not a harsher sporstcar people made it out to be. It doesn't have ride quality of a "fat" 4000lb RC-F because it doesn't weight like one.
Old 04-14-15, 05:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i think the problem is more about you not making any sense when you try to generalize things one way and then separating things the other way. when you call 911 a gt car and the m4 a sportscar, i think that just pretty much killed all your credibility in any claims or observations.

regarding turbo and such, maybe chris is a fan of turbo but that only shows me that he's not a "fanboy" of turbo thinking all turbos are good (the fact that he disses on 911 turbo). i also remember he said the f40 turbo was hard to get used to and hard to drive too. and on more "street" gt cars, i can see debate that turbo is a better choice. i still remember when i had the e93 m3, how many people tried to argue saying that the car "had no tq"

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
succinctly put, from a branding / momentum standpoint. of course lexus no doubt learned a bunch from building it and that tech has and will spill into other vehicles bit by bit.

i will say again to all that i was blown away completely by the LFA. it is SPECTACULAR in looks, sounds, and execution. i don't believe it has stupid sound generators like other cars, and it has PERFECT stance/fitment. it is a rightful heir to japan's first great supercar, the nsx. not necessarily the best at any one thing, but as an overall package, simply sublime, and daily drivable.

but yes, apart from appearances in hit and miss commercials, some trade shows, and enthusiast events that buyers of other brands won't really notice, they didn't get much mileage out of it.

the BIGGEST compliment it got was probably from that crazy brit clarkson.
yes, i am not taking away the lfa as a car at all. i am sure you have read my review how much i love the car

and technology wise i am glad that lexus did it and help develop for future too.

it's just from branding and momentum point of view, that's a pretty bad slip imho
Old 04-14-15, 07:38 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I used to enjoy Harris' writing and videos from his Evo days, especially on anything Porsche and Ferrari. Now he comes across as a whinging freelancer who randomly pops up everywhere.

Why should every sedan be an M5 or E63? What's wrong with Lexus making sensible cars that aren't great at 10/10ths but are perfect for cruising? I wonder how many M5's are sold compared to basement-spec 520i's with manual shifters and cloth seats.

I think these reviewers get stuck in their own little worlds where all cars need to have razor sharp handling, at least 600 hp and weigh 1500 kg. In the real world of bad roads and bad traffic, sometimes people want something softer and less frantic.
Old 04-14-15, 07:48 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I used to enjoy Harris' writing and videos from his Evo days, especially on anything Porsche and Ferrari. Now he comes across as a whinging freelancer who randomly pops up everywhere.

Why should every sedan be an M5 or E63? What's wrong with Lexus making sensible cars that aren't great at 10/10ths but are perfect for cruising? I wonder how many M5's are sold compared to basement-spec 520i's with manual shifters and cloth seats.

I think these reviewers get stuck in their own little worlds where all cars need to have razor sharp handling, at least 600 hp and weigh 1500 kg. In the real world of bad roads and bad traffic, sometimes people want something softer and less frantic.
Good grief, how many times do we have to sit through the same attack the reviewer when I don't like what the review argument over and over again. How many brand new M5's E63's and F cars have YOU driven? Please tell us about YOUR great insights. What exactly did he say that was so outrageous for all of you to attack him personally?
Old 04-14-15, 07:57 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

What, did I just run over Chris Harris' dog or something?

Anyway, I don't care for his current writing style and videos, although I thought his work in Evo was pretty good. On the other hand, as an example of a good all-round reviewer who gets better and better, there's Steve Sutcliffe previously at Autocar and now at Auto Express.
Old 04-14-15, 08:01 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Lexus may not be a major player there, but guess what? Jaguar is not a major player over here! Take that!

Quick Reply: Chris Harris:What The F Is A Lexus Performance Car?