Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chris Harris:What The F Is A Lexus Performance Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 10:23 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hes a flip flopper. Dude love/hates Ferrari regularly. F is an alternative to AMG, M, RS etc. They dont have to do things like the Germans. Lexus sales are going up in Europe, thats all that should matter. Increased sales means new Lexus buyers. A 23% increase in sales, hows that work if Lexus just wanted to sell to Lexus customers? If true their sales would be stagnant. This article is nothing but a tired repeated opinion piece that Lexus is bad.
Old 04-14-15, 05:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Hes trying too hard to compare a M4 (sportscar) with an RCF (GT car) and keeps complaining about the numbers. If I wanted numbers why would you even be looking at BMW or Lexus, can get better performance numbers for less price numbers elsewhere.

Originally Posted by dojoman
Jalopnik is on a roll with Lexus bashing. Sorry, I lost a little respect for Chris Harris as a journalist.
lost mine a while back with laughable comments about various cars. Like the infamous power dip in the FRS/BRZ is a feature. Really losing power for 1300 rpm in an underpowered car is a feature? Complains about RCF "outdated" engine but doesnt like 911s going all turbo. Says M4s torque is fine but many reviews have complained about its lack of rear grip. Make up your mind. All he does is power slide around on a track and says its great! As if thats any real performance metric. But all the 12 year olds like it I'm sure.
Old 04-14-15, 07:18 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

lost mine a while back with laughable comments about various cars. Like the infamous power dip in the FRS/BRZ is a feature. Really losing power for 1300 rpm in an underpowered car is a feature? Complains about RCF "outdated" engine but doesnt like 911s going all turbo. Says M4s torque is fine but many reviews have complained about its lack of rear grip. Make up your mind. All he does is power slide around on a track and says its great! As if thats any real performance metric. But all the 12 year olds like it I'm sure.
First of all, Porsches NA engines are made for the purpose of track driving, the whole car is meant to be driven under full throttle at max rpm:s. This is not the case with RC-F that is far, far away from beeing a track car . To lose that option in Porsche would be sad as well as the manual gearboxes.

Look at his review of the C63 S where he is talking about people complaining about his power slides, and therefore drives normal laps. Steve Sutcliffe from Autocar has talked about this to.
Old 04-14-15, 07:57 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by dojoman
Jalopnik is on a roll with Lexus bashing. Sorry, I lost a little respect for Chris Harris as a journalist.
The man is right, the people here will get angry because there favorite brand has been criticized (and rightly so). What is F? People are quick to justify Lexus's decisions because of their blind allegiance to brand. If MB were to release a half assed amg people would mock their performance credentials.
Old 04-14-15, 07:58 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gyrase321
What is the ratio of performance cars sold by the German brands (BMW,Audi, Merc) relative to their mainstream luxury cars? The performance cars comprise a minority of cars sold. The performance cars may get most of the hype in blogs such as Jalopnik, but the bread and better that keep the car companies alive are still the mainstream variants.

Why the obsession with performance cars? Not everyone who buys a luxury car wants a speed demon. They just want a luxurious reliable daily driver. This article writer wants Lexus to engage in a juvenile horsepower arms race with the Germans, and since Lexus doesn't do that, he proclaims Lexus a failure? Lexus is highly regarded even in the UK in terms of metrics that matter to most people. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ty-survey.html

Last time I checked, Lexus/Toyota is the largest car company in the world in terms of sales volume.
The number of cars is only one parameter in the function of operating margin per car. Performance cars make much more money per car sold than mainstream cars, so not as many need to be sold. Performance cars also sell more mainstream cars by improving the value of the brand.

Honestly, you have a bean counter's argument here. The kind that leads to terrible cars and dying brands. I don't think we want Lexus to become just like Acura, which is where that path leads.
Old 04-14-15, 08:22 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Infra
The number of cars is only one parameter in the function of operating margin per car. Performance cars make much more money per car sold than mainstream cars, so not as many need to be sold. Performance cars also sell more mainstream cars by improving the value of the brand.

Honestly, you have a bean counter's argument here. The kind that leads to terrible cars and dying brands. I don't think we want Lexus to become just like Acura, which is where that path leads.
The LFA is reported to have lost money on every single unit sold. Its purpose was to serve as an advertising tool to create excitement for the brand, so in the greater scheme of things, the LFA was a success. But per unit sold, the LFA was not profitable. The LFA also created a backlash by raising expectations so high that now we have a Chris Harris whining about why not every Lexus car is like an LFA.
Old 04-14-15, 09:27 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree that the GSF is a disappointment already because it needs more power. It's still crazy that the RCF was so close to beating the M4 (10K more with a brake upgrade) and is still being scoffed at. I am not a fan of the RCF looks but I think it is good for the F brand to have a coupe. My 08 ISF was an amazing car and I miss it now even though I am in a GTR. I hope to get another ISF down the road.
Old 04-14-15, 09:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The only Lexus F car remotely interesting to me was the IS-F. When it came out, it reminded me of the 2nd gen GS debut. Lexus made a statement with those cars. RC-F? It's an improvement over the IS-F, but nothing that makes me want to go out and buy one. Perhaps I'm just not a target for the Lexus F brand.
Old 04-14-15, 10:21 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What did he say that was so infuriating? His analysis seems a lot more reasonable than the reactions on this thread.
Old 04-14-15, 11:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
First of all, Porsches NA engines are made for the purpose of track driving, the whole car is meant to be driven under full throttle at max rpm:s. This is not the case with RC-F that is far, far away from beeing a track car . To lose that option in Porsche would be sad as well as the manual gearboxes.
CH called the RCF engine outdated when compared to M but then later on wrote an article complaining about 911s move to all turbos and losing NA driveability. This guy is so inconsistent. RCF is easier to control because it is NA, hence why most 911s especially the top 911 (GT3) is NA. Surely the GT3 isnt oudated. Outdated when Lexus does it, but dont take it away from Porsche!
Old 04-14-15, 11:12 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

CH called the RCF engine outdated when compared to M but then later on wrote an article complaining about 911s move to all turbos and losing NA driveability. This guy is so inconsistent. RCF is easier to control because it is NA, hence why most 911s especially the top 911 (GT3) is NA. Surely the GT3 isnt oudated. Outdated when Lexus does it, but dont take it away from Porsche!
Its outdated because its been around for a decade...
Old 04-14-15, 11:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Hes trying too hard to compare a M4 (sportscar) with an RCF (GT car) and keeps complaining about the numbers. If I wanted numbers why would you even be looking at BMW or Lexus, can get better performance numbers for less price number.
LOL

So now the M4 that has a huge backseat and is the SAME exact size as the RCF is a SPORTS car.

911 is a sportscar
R8 is a sportscar

M4 and RCf are both GT cars that can be daily driven with all luxury you can ever need.

Lets stop making excuses and admit that the F brand is a disaster at this point compared to Audi RS, cadillac V.
Dont even bring up M and AMG.
Old 04-14-15, 12:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
The LFA also created a backlash by raising expectations so high that now we have a Chris Harris whining about why not every Lexus car is like an LFA.
yup. that's why as much as i love the LFA i think it was a big mistake to launch such a high end and very limited availability product WITHOUT having much of a game plan in any reasonable time frame to bring more excitement to the rest of the product line. the roll-out of 'f' has been woefully slow but we've been here before with l-tuned, trd, f-sport. BUT, sloowly, lexus is getting there.
Old 04-14-15, 12:07 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup. that's why as much as i love the LFA i think it was a big mistake to launch such a high end and very limited availability product WITHOUT having much of a game plan in any reasonable time frame to bring more excitement to the rest of the product line. the roll-out of 'f' has been woefully slow but we've been here before with l-tuned, trd, f-sport. BUT, sloowly, lexus is getting there.
After the LFA was the wonderfully reviewed BRZ/FRS/GT86 cars. I know they are different brand and market, but the drivers and enthusiast DNA and spirit of what the LFA was there. So when Lexus announces a V8 coupe with inspiration from the LFA and you get the RC-F that does not deliver on those expectations, that is Lexus fault for building the wrong car.
Old 04-14-15, 12:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Hes trying too hard to compare a M4 (sportscar) with an RCF (GT car) and keeps complaining about the numbers. If I wanted numbers why would you even be looking at BMW or Lexus, can get better performance numbers for less price numbers elsewhere.

so you conveniently pointed out that the m4 are rcf are two different cars, but then the rcf and porsche should be put together in the same talk?

i personally put porsche in a even more sports car category than the m4. side by side against a porsche 911s or gt3, the m4 and rcf are like cruisers to me.

so yeah, let's not put them together

Quick Reply: Chris Harris:What The F Is A Lexus Performance Car?