Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chris Harris:What The F Is A Lexus Performance Car?

Old 04-13-15, 10:26 AM
zema
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chris Harris:What The F Is A Lexus Performance Car?

What The F Is A Lexus Performance Car?

I am baffled by Lexus because I’m English. We Brits don’t understand what Lexus is; never have done really. It’s the same throughout Europe. In the ‘90s when the brand arrived and kabooomed the entire US prestige car industry, we all just walked past the smattering of Lexus dealers over here and wondered what they sold inside them. Maybe expensive printers ?

The process of selling the Lexus dream of quality, residual value and refinement to us luddites is undergoing another push right now. I gather the NX is selling well and the little IS doesn’t do too badly, but compared to the vast volumes being shifted by the Germans, Lexus is a small-time player over here. It isn’t a failure, but it certainly isn’t the success the prestige arm of a company like Toyota should be. I genuinely believe that’s in part down to the fact that there were never any halo models – there was no eye-candy to draw the eyes from BMW’s M3 and Audi’s RS4. It would seem that around the middle of the last decade someone at Lexus thought the same, and it gave us the IS F.

It wasn’t quite as good as the Germans, but hey, it was a first attempt and that meant the next hot Lexus would be better and it was beautifully engineered anyway, so we could wait. Only we couldn’t because the banks ingested themselves and the world lost all of its money and fast cars were apparently dead. So there was no GS(space)F.

However, there was the secret Lexus Supercar that became the worst kept secret since time began. It became the LFA (was there a space, or a dash between the F and the A? I can’t recall.) This had all the makings of the most expensive piece of supercar folly as it arrived with a vast price tag and less outright performance than the much cheaper Ferrari 458, but those of us lucky enough to drive it were completely smitten. It was and is pure genius. Furthermore it was the perfect launch-pad for the creation of a line of fast Lexi to finally teach the Germans a thing-or-ten and, by inference, persuade a whole load of people on this side of the water that Lexus was the real deal in the mainstream market.

Only nothing came. And the LFA was placed on global promotional duty at every motor show. It would lurk on Lexus stands; a growling metaphor for what the company should be doing, but wasn’t. No new products followed the LFA for five years. The window for trading on the legacy of such brilliance was probably two, at best.

It looked like Lexus had missed a trick, but then we saw the Lexus RC F and immediately memories of the LFA cascaded back like it had never been away, which in fairness it hadn’t because it was still being rolled-out at every Auto show like some retired sportsman, and we had ourselves the first in a new generation of fast Lexi. Rejoice! A chance not to take obvious M and AMG route! Quasi-LFA styling! Loads of power! A normally aspirated V8! - which, hang on a minute, doesn’t look much different to the old ISF’s motor.

And then we saw the weight figure and then we drove it and I’m now a bit stuck in the third-person so will switch back to the first to say that I thought it was one of the most depressing drives of 2014. It’s not that the car was bad, it’s just that given the narrative and expectation built by what I’ve just described it was a complete anti-climax. On no grounds other than xenophobia, atmospheric fetishism and simply wanting to not see another one on the road could you advise someone to buy an RC F over an M3 or a C63. I hated that result.

A further kick in the spuds arrived a few days after driving the RC F when we were told that the GS F, the M5 rival, would have the same motor, which would make it around 100hp shy of the RS7/E63/M5 crew, which would be fine if it could weigh 3,8000 pounds, but it will weigh north of 4,000 pounds. Which isn’t much lighter than an E63.

It’s at this point purists will crow about power not being everything, but that’s hog-**** in fast-sedan town. You need brute power-to-weight, you need to ***** slap the M5 in that Motor Trend drag race video and I’m afraid the GS has already had its under-crackers removed and its cheeks reddened. I can’t remember a fast car in recent history that has been revealed with such a paucity of trouser sausage. It’s a bit embarrassing.

So what’s the strategy at Lexus F? I’m not sure I know. Is it to sell a series of cars that are just ten percent less exciting, capable and slower than the main opposition? Is there actually a strategy, and if so, surely someone has called an EGM to question the stacked vertical exhaust tips?

I often wonder if you can’t identify the entire psyche of a car company by looking at the finer details of its cars – those exhaust tips on the IS F and RC F bug the **** out of me. I think they look properly rubbish, but that is personal taste and I dress like a man who cannot see very well. But exhaust tips are like gypsies tea-leaves, much mystic information can be gleaned from their shape and distribution.

Perhaps this is actually a very clever and subtle positioning game by Lexus? It doesn’t think it can beat the big boys, it can just slip beneath them and trade on quality and intake noise and throttle response aaaaaand, nope, I’m not buying that either. This is the place for *****-waving, for swagger, for numbers. It needs to compete, slug it out toe-to-toe.

I sincerely hope Lexus F finds a direction, an image and a good foothold in the marketplace. I want them to succeed, but I find the brand launch confusing at the moment.
Source: http://jalopnik.com/what-the-f-is-a-...car-1688464178
Old 04-13-15, 10:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He should stick writing about Porsche cause he knows thing or two about them.

He is seriously wondering why Lexus is not selling as much as BMW 115 3-cylinder or 316i/318d?

Yes badge is a premium but luxury is something few BMW buyers select to buy in EU. Just look how many Audis and BMWs don't even have xenon lights in 2015 or how about that Audi A7 with manual transmission and manual cloth seats. That is far away from luxury.
Old 04-13-15, 11:08 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Jalopnik is on a roll with Lexus bashing. Sorry, I lost a little respect for Chris Harris as a journalist.
Old 04-13-15, 03:37 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
He should stick writing about Porsche cause he knows thing or two about them.

He is seriously wondering why Lexus is not selling as much as BMW 115 3-cylinder or 316i/318d?

Yes badge is a premium but luxury is something few BMW buyers select to buy in EU. Just look how many Audis and BMWs don't even have xenon lights in 2015 or how about that Audi A7 with manual transmission and manual cloth seats. That is far away from luxury.
No, he's wondering what is Lexus' goal with its F cars. I ask the same question - the RC F is a compromise of a platform, and the GS F is just kind of... what? They should have just called it a GS500 and they would likely sell more. And now there will be no IS F, while the IS350 doesn't offer competition in engine power to the 335 or S4 or C400/450.

I'm also not sure what the plan is. I want to spend $55k on a higher performance IS, not even an IS F, but it doesn't exist. People want to spend $95k on a GS F rivaling the Germans, but it doesn't exist. I'm only going to drive a car for 4 years or so before I get rid of it, so I really don't care about the need for one to last two decades. BMW, Audi, & Mercedes understand this and make a lot of money for it. Lexus only seems to want to sell cars to the people who currently own a Lexus.
Old 04-13-15, 03:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

excellent article. dead on. truth hurts.

isf - good skunkworks effort turned production car, improved each year nicely
lfa - brilliant gob smacker but very rare except auto shows
rcf - not that special
gsf - well it looks good
?
f-sport has been ruined with cars like ct f-sport and rx f-sport which are pretty much just trim bits only.

lexus will get it together, but it's taken far too long.
Old 04-13-15, 03:55 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
No, he's wondering what is Lexus' goal with its F cars. I ask the same question - the RC F is a compromise of a platform, and the GS F is just kind of... what? They should have just called it a GS500 and they would likely sell more. And now there will be no IS F, while the IS350 doesn't offer competition in engine power to the 335 or S4 or C400/450.

I'm also not sure what the plan is. I want to spend $55k on a higher performance IS, not even an IS F, but it doesn't exist. People want to spend $95k on a GS F rivaling the Germans, but it doesn't exist. I'm only going to drive a car for 4 years or so before I get rid of it, so I really don't care about the need for one to last two decades. BMW, Audi, & Mercedes understand this and make a lot of money for it. Lexus only seems to want to sell cars to the people who currently own a Lexus.
I agree. His quote here kind of sums it up: "So what’s the strategy at Lexus F? I’m not sure I know. Is it to sell a series of cars that are just ten percent less exciting, capable and slower than the main opposition? Is there actually a strategy, and if so, surely someone has called an EGM to question the stacked vertical exhaust tips?"
Old 04-13-15, 04:18 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Infra
Lexus only seems to want to sell cars to the people who currently own a Lexus.
Apparently, and almost every car maker will offer a more modern hybrid ( stronger ,faster and plug-in) than Lexus has in a year or two, and that may actually end Lexus history here in Europe and probably other places around the world as well. Sad but true, thats the only time limited advantage they have left .You can still buy Toyota for reliability.

I know that Harris is speaking of the F brand, but its the same situation there. Honestly, I did not expect Porsche and Ferrari beeing the ones with hybrid drivetrains in a supercar 2015

This can change, but something must happen really fast now. The time is running out.
Old 04-13-15, 04:35 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

What is the ratio of performance cars sold by the German brands (BMW,Audi, Merc) relative to their mainstream luxury cars? The performance cars comprise a minority of cars sold. The performance cars may get most of the hype in blogs such as Jalopnik, but the bread and better that keep the car companies alive are still the mainstream variants.

Why the obsession with performance cars? Not everyone who buys a luxury car wants a speed demon. They just want a luxurious reliable daily driver. This article writer wants Lexus to engage in a juvenile horsepower arms race with the Germans, and since Lexus doesn't do that, he proclaims Lexus a failure? Lexus is highly regarded even in the UK in terms of metrics that matter to most people. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ty-survey.html

Last time I checked, Lexus/Toyota is the largest car company in the world in terms of sales volume.
Old 04-13-15, 05:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

good read and it is pretty much on point.
Old 04-13-15, 05:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't fault Lexus, they've only been around for 26 years. Something tells me MY17 is going to be big.
Old 04-13-15, 08:19 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Chris Harris is a Lexus hater. This article proves it. BUT I think Lexus wants to play and beat the big boys . The CHIEF ENGINEER UNDER DELIVERED. I THINK THEY SHOULD SACK THE PERSON IN CHARGE OF THE RC-F AND GS-F. He is out of touch with reality by stubbornly walking his own path to the detriment of the brand.
Old 04-13-15, 08:42 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't fault Lexus, they've only been around for 26 years. Something tells me MY17 is going to be big.
Lexus may be young at 26 years, but Toyota is not. They have been selling cars long enough to know how to market and build cars to what people want.
Old 04-13-15, 08:57 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

You can hate him or his article, but he has his point. I don't think that t Lexus don't know what they are doing with their F brand. I was excited when IS-F was launch, now? I'd rather go checking out Mustang GT350 rather than RC-F even though I don't want a track car.
Old 04-13-15, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

every article has a take-away.

everyone is biased, but i am pretty sure no one is paying chris to bash lexus
Old 04-13-15, 09:44 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with him mostly.

It's easy to call someone a hater when they speak the truth.

It sounds like he liked the LFA, correct me if I'm wrong. That alone disqualifies him from being a lexus hater.

the LFA raised everyone's expectations. spoiled everyone.
Thereafter, everyone expected lexus to bring LFA level performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chris Harris:What The F Is A Lexus Performance Car?