Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Patience: The Longest you ever have waited to switch cars like the (GSF wait).

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 11:56 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patience: The Longest you ever have waited to switch cars like the (GSF wait).

I have been posting like crazy in all kinds of forums, this one, Acura and a few others. (I was going to post on BMW page. But right on BMW page it says themselves that the BMW doesn't have the reliability of the Japanese cars). My question is what is the longest you have ever waited from the time you know that you were serious about wanting another car, until the time you actually got another car. I am trying to decide between a RLX and the new 2016 GSF when it comes out. To me the GS is basically the same as the RLX (if you look at the big picture). But the GSF is a complete different animal. It has the look, the speed and it is basically sort of like driving a large sports car. When that thing comes out I won't be able (well lets say that I don't want to be able to afford it) and prefer to wait until that thing is at least in the upper 40K range (which in my estimation should take 3 years from the time it is released). By the time it is released, a lot of things could happen gas could be $6 a gallon 3 years from now and that wouldn't be a practical daily car to drive 200-300K on it for the next 10 years. I have no idea of the gas mileage in that thing but I am estimating 15 city maybe 22 highway. I could go out and buy a bmw 550 or Mercedes e550 or (genesis 5.0 but that is too large). But none of those would last as long as the GSF will. I like the car I have already and can even drive my beater one until the transmission completely goes out in it. I just don't like driving a car that I know it destined to die on me because of some design flaw from lexus themselves that is no longer under their warranty. (design flaw is carbon buildup in 06's).
Old 04-12-15, 12:09 PM
krava
Lead Lap

The longest I ever waited was ?? I got into trouble in May 2005 had to sell all kinds of things to afford a used 1999 VW Passat for $6K (which I put alteast another $6K in so far). Then in 2009 Bought the 06 GS cash. By 2007 I was ready to get out of that VW so I would say I had to wait 2 years.. When I say "wait" I am not saying wait until you have the money. I could get the GSF right now if it came out (just not pay entire part cash). I am referring to the urge "I really want it, but I don't need it" until it goes to "Ok I can't wait I have to have it now".
Old 04-12-15, 02:22 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also waiting on a 3-4 year old GSF.

Having said that, I might end up with a 2013-2014 GS350 or 2011 GS460 if I come across the right car at the right price. I've had the new car itch for 3 years now and my budget has grown from 25k to 35k during that time and could be up to 50k in a few years. To me, anything less than a GSF would be a compromise but I know my 99 GS will not last forever either.
Old 04-12-15, 07:57 PM
krava
Lead Lap

I am there with you, My comfortable price range is $38K right now. MY Extended price range is $50K right now. Its moving up $10K a year. IF I don't succumb to the 2014 RLX I will be right there with you unless my car goes out. If I pass up the RLX then I will probably get a GS of some sort, if my car last then GS F if it doesn't then normal GS depending on the time it happens. I will be wearing this and my beater out. I have a 1999 Volkswagon Passat. The transmission slips a lot, the thing likes to jump. It has been hit on all 4 sides. The passenger seat don't work, no glove box, it has been ripped out. None of the windows work, You can't open the doors without the key or the alarm. The thing that you push down has been taking out. Sometimes the doors don't want to lock, The ABS break computer has been out since I got the car day 1. I also have 200,000 miles on it. The car doesn't get radio reception but I do have an after market stero in it. It will be good to go from this VW pasat to a GS F I like to see one of you people have to drive that thing around awhile.
Old 04-13-15, 03:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
I'm also waiting on a 3-4 year old GSF.
so 2020?

To me, anything less than a GSF would be a compromise but I know my 99 GS will not last forever either.
yeah it could be 21+ yrs old.

you are indeed very patient.
Old 04-13-15, 11:50 PM
krava
Lead Lap

What kind of black cat is in that pic? your cat or some cat on the internet?
Old 04-14-15, 10:05 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Thats impressive, I put money down on a C63 back in January. Well its may now I still have no allocation/ p.o and Im going nuts. Kudo's for waitimg so long.
Old 04-14-15, 07:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Waited 3 years for the NX when more concrete rumors started surfacing about its eventual release. In the interim got into an RX F Sport. Then back in April 2014, put a deposit 9 months prior to actually getting it end of December!
Old 04-15-15, 02:43 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

back in 2009 i had made up my mind on an 04-06 LS430 UL and i shopped (browsed the interwebs and then drove to various places to check em out) for 6.5 months before finding the exact one i wanted at which point i bought it

i would settle on something in the meantime if it were me since i don't think i could wait more than a year. but i also save a little on the side for mods immediately after if not just prior to buying any new(er) car so i couldn't go 100% of my car funds just on the car, would have to be able to afford it and then some so yeah i would not be able to wait until the GSF is in the 35k-40k range cuz that would take a while...
Old 04-15-15, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
What kind of black cat is in that pic? your cat or some cat on the internet?
some cat on the internet.

Originally Posted by doge
Well its may now ...
actually april.
Old 04-15-15, 10:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so 2020?

yeah it could be 21+ yrs old.

you are indeed very patient.
My guess is he didn't bought it new ......
Old 04-15-15, 10:55 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
some cat on the internet.

actually april.
I had a long day
Old 04-15-15, 11:18 AM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krava
The longest I ever waited was ?? I could get the GSF right now if it came out (just not pay entire part cash). I am referring to the urge "I really want it, but I don't need it" until it goes to "Ok I can't wait I have to have it now".
Well for starters, I too wish i could afford the GS-F but may have to do the wait for a 3-4yr old one, not happy about that as thats close to 2020, but its that or be really really really poor but have a nice car for the next 6years as i make payments haha. Anyway currently im rolling in my '98 GS400 Shes old, but man shes still a beaut; she has her flaws and needs her maintenance; it would be nice to get a new car. Your VW sounds terrible! im sorry, that would really bother me. I had a '74 Celica i was using as a daily (had it for about 6 months before i got rid of it, waaaaaay too many problems). It was a project car that i figured "eh i can deal with the issues, ill fix em eventually".....nope... could not do it. Enough of me, back to your situation; the RLX is nice, about 45-50k i take it? havent kept up in the Honda market for sometime... It really depends on your preference as to what you want out of a car or what you are willing to sacrifice if needed (lifestyle to be able to afford the nicer car or keep the lifestyle but sacrifice the performance and have a similar car). There are other options, and there will be other options coming out within the next 3years, although that is a really long time in that VW of yours. What did you think about the Q50? IMHO the Q50S offers performance over the GS350 and RLX, is comparable in cost , but lacks the luxuries; not by much though. Its no GS-F, but all in all, definitely a refined performance sedan i would love to own. Im sure youve already heard, but the rumors of the Q50 Eau Rouge are definitely enough to make me want to wait for it .

The RLX is a completely different car than the GS350, i feel the RLX is comparable to the older generation GS430/460 in the sense that its more aimed at a luxurious cruiser than the more sporty 4GS and Q50. If your dead set on the GS-F and have to wait, then by all means stick it out and save for that dream car , but if you've got some flexibility, then you know you've got some comparable options, whether it be now or later.

Back to waiting though, I have yet to own a new car in my short driving career of about 10years, First car was a used 2000 acura integra, after the car became more of a garage queen, i needed a car to drive but could not afford a new one, hence my '98 GS400 Old but reliable, 200k and still running like a champ. I just keep up on regular maintenance and i know she'll take care of me; long enough till i can afford my first brand new car

Last edited by DreamGS4; 04-15-15 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 02:44 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't, if I want it I want it now.
Old 04-15-15, 06:18 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
My guess is he didn't bought it new ......
Yep, that's correct. I bought it in 2009 for 7.7k and planned to only keep it for a few years. I have not been able to find a satisfactory replacement that's worth the money.

I would like to own one more Japanese V8 RWD sedan before they go extinct and the ISF has too many compromises for me.

Quick Reply: Patience: The Longest you ever have waited to switch cars like the (GSF wait).