Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The New Lexus ES to Make Its Global Debut at Auto Shanghai 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 11:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
Agree. My Camry has the same powertrain and I really like it.

I was just discussing since the RX is getting an updated version of the same engine with 300 hp which until now has shared its powertrain with the Camry / ES. So you are right, there may be no practical need, but a Camry with 300 hp will be the ultimate sleeper 😉
The Camry 3.5 is the same engine, but not the EXACT same engine. You have to dig into the parts numbers, some things like the starter and alternator are different part numbers. I'm sure there are other things that are different. I believe the ES has mount that work to reduce vibration or something like that.

The current 3.5 is nice but it is time for an update. DI should be enough.
Old 04-18-15, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

As for the powertrain, it needs to be updated because time marches ever forward. Engines need to become more powerful and more efficient, and buyers want to see evolution. One of the major issues Lexus has right now is old engines.
Old 04-18-15, 06:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RC350f
The 3.5L is one of the smoothest motors ever, literally glass smooth. I'd choose it over any alternate 2.0t
Nobody is talking about replacing the 3.5 with the 2.0t. You may see a 2.0t option but the updated 3.5 from the 4RX is what we're talking about.

Have you driven the NX with the 2.0t? I haven't, but I've driven other luxury cars with a 2.0t most notably the Cadillac CTS and found it a surprisingly smooth and enjoyable motor. I went into the test drive thinking I would never but a 4cyl luxury car and walked away feeling differently.

The 3.5L in the ES is pretty smooth, I don't think its exceptionally smooth though. I thought the 2.0T in that Cadillac was just as smooth or smoother.
Old 04-18-15, 07:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RC350f
Wow the new one has managed to make the outgoing model look good.
Agreed.....the mid-bar on the current model tones down the spindle-effect some, and improves its looks. Remove it, like the new hybrid version does, and the big black spindle just gets out of hand.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-18-15 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 08:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Nobody is talking about replacing the 3.5 with the 2.0t. You may see a 2.0t option but the updated 3.5 from the 4RX is what we're talking about.

Have you driven the NX with the 2.0t? I haven't, but I've driven other luxury cars with a 2.0t most notably the Cadillac CTS and found it a surprisingly smooth and enjoyable motor. I went into the test drive thinking I would never but a 4cyl luxury car and walked away feeling differently.

The 3.5L in the ES is pretty smooth, I don't think its exceptionally smooth though. I thought the 2.0T in that Cadillac was just as smooth or smoother.
But nobody is buying the Cadillac. Maybe those who actually BUY the cars are noticing that the Lexus has the smoother engine.
Old 04-18-15, 09:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Camry 3.5 is the same engine, but not the EXACT same engine. You have to dig into the parts numbers, some things like the starter and alternator are different part numbers. I'm sure there are other things that are different. I believe the ES has mount that work to reduce vibration or something like that.

The current 3.5 is nice but it is time for an update. DI should be enough.
indeed, it is never exactly the same anyway... even same engine in different cars might feel different due to better insulation for instance. Toyota diesels for instance in Europe, to me they feel like complete different engines in Rav4 and Avensis... in Rav4 it is rough and peaky, in Avensis it is smooth, quiet and fast... it ends up complete different feeling due to the weight and much better insulation in Avensis.
Old 04-18-15, 09:56 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, looks great.
Getting more aggressive but not in-your-face.

Now for the rear.
Old 04-18-15, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Audi (and VW) have been doing a silky-smooth and responsive 2.0T in-line four for years. It's competent enough that they even use it as a base engine for the American-market A6.

Although there are some things about Audis that I don't care for (such as the MMI), this engine has been on my list of favorite powerplants for years...as has its brother 2.0L TDI diesel.
Old 04-18-15, 10:59 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Sister has a C300 which is a 2.0t and it is not smooth at all. Sounds loud and harsh and vibration while generally well controlled when sitting inside the cabin, is not well controlled elsewhere. I had a rear door open and had my arm on the door frame and it was vibrating almost violently. Not a cold start after a night's rest, just after a 2 hour dinner. And dont get me started on the start/stop system which is almost unusable.

OTOH, I had a CT200h and was surprised at how well vibration was controlled even at cold start. It seemed to hide the engine/battery switchover even better than my RX. So it can be done and with lexus standards, I am sure they will keep NVH at a minimum in their future 2.0 4 cyl products
Old 04-18-15, 11:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But nobody is buying the Cadillac. Maybe those who actually BUY the cars are noticing that the Lexus has the smoother engine.
But they're not choosing not to buy the Cadillac because of the motor. My point was not to compare the CTS and the ES, it was to say that a 2.0t can work in a luxury car and be smooth and refined.
Old 04-18-15, 11:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
indeed, it is never exactly the same anyway... even same engine in different cars might feel different due to better insulation for instance. Toyota diesels for instance in Europe, to me they feel like complete different engines in Rav4 and Avensis... in Rav4 it is rough and peaky, in Avensis it is smooth, quiet and fast... it ends up complete different feeling due to the weight and much better insulation in Avensis.
I am glad someone on here understands that they are not exactly the same. The Lexus ES power train is made in Japan while Camry/Rav/Avalon and HL are from the USA.
Old 04-18-15, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But they're not choosing not to buy the Cadillac because of the motor. My point was not to compare the CTS and the ES, it was to say that a 2.0t can work in a luxury car and be smooth and refined.
Well, poor reliability is a major factor as to why folks are staying away from the Caddy. That and the fact its less prestigious.
Old 04-18-15, 12:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Sister has a C300 which is a 2.0t and it is not smooth at all. Sounds loud and harsh and vibration while generally well controlled when sitting inside the cabin, is not well controlled elsewhere. I had a rear door open and had my arm on the door frame and it was vibrating almost violently. Not a cold start after a night's rest, just after a 2 hour dinner. And dont get me started on the start/stop system which is almost unusable.

OTOH, I had a CT200h and was surprised at how well vibration was controlled even at cold start. It seemed to hide the engine/battery switchover even better than my RX. So it can be done and with lexus standards, I am sure they will keep NVH at a minimum in their future 2.0 4 cyl products
how old was C300?
We just had other member tell us how new C300 is quietest of them all, much better than bad lexus hybrids :-)

I also remember when new Auris was introduced, many Lexus UK CT owners mentioned how it is even quieter than CT200h... performance and NVH are always evolving.
Old 04-18-15, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, poor reliability is a major factor as to why folks are staying away from the Caddy. That and the fact its less prestigious.
I'm not discussing the merits of the Cadillac, just as an example of a smooth and refined 2.0T motor
Old 04-18-15, 08:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would have agreed with you until I drovethat 2.0T Cadillac. Remember I've driven Lexus vehicles with that 6 in some iteration for 12 years. Try one.

Quick Reply: The New Lexus ES to Make Its Global Debut at Auto Shanghai 2015