Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The New Lexus ES to Make Its Global Debut at Auto Shanghai 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 10:26 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I dont think anybody needs 300 hp in a FWD camry. I understand new engines are bringing higher hp numbers while increasing mpg at the same time, but they should really focus on keeping the same hp while increasing mpg even more
Old 04-11-15, 10:48 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
why would you prefer 2.0t to new 3.5l V6? I wouldnt. Hopefully they leave V6 inside, at least this generation.

As to Tacoma, if Tacoma is getting new generation engine, Camry will get it too, they are not going to leave Camry behind, it is in most competitive class.
The new 2.0 T seems to perform well in the NX which is a at least few hundred pounds heavier than the current ES or Camry. I haven't driven the NX yet but i would imagine it should perform even better in these sedans.

Would I prefer it over the V6, i doubt. Even the current V6 in the Camry (which is my current DD) provides class leading performance, good real world fuel economy and has solid reliability record. If Toyota were to update that engine in terms of power and efficiency that would be my preference.
Old 04-11-15, 10:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
They could also use the new 2.0 T engine in the Camry (or for that matter the ES as well), however since the Camry went through significant changes recently I doubt if the engine updates are coming this year.

Toyota has said that new engine in the Tacoma is a truck series engine which is not the same as the 3.5 V6 in the Camry - not sure what that means. Either way it will be nice to finally see some engine updates in the Lexus / Toyota line up.
The 2.0 T requires premium fuel which would be a turn off for Camry buyers.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-11-15 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 12:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

The new 2.0 T seems to perform well in the NX which is a at least few hundred pounds heavier than the current ES or Camry. I haven't driven the NX yet but i would imagine it should perform even better in these sedans.

Would I prefer it over the V6, i doubt. Even the current V6 in the Camry (which is my current DD) provides class leading performance, good real world fuel economy and has solid reliability record. If Toyota were to update that engine in terms of power and efficiency that would be my preference.
i have no doubt that 2.0t would perform well in Camry, but i am sure that new V6 will perform even better.
Old 04-11-15, 01:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont think anybody needs 300 hp in a FWD camry. I understand new engines are bringing higher hp numbers while increasing mpg at the same time, but they should really focus on keeping the same hp while increasing mpg even more
it does not work that way... luckily we have technology these days.

If this new V6 has all the features that new Tacoma engine has, it will have Atkinson cycle mode at cruising - so basically 15% better mpg when cruising, but at the same time it will be able to rev up until 6500 rpm with full power like normal otto engine. So we basically get best of both worlds.

Hybrids have full time atkinson cycle, which wouldn't be viable here since it loses up to 30% of torque at some points in powerband, and without electric motors "turbo" effect (in hybrids), it would be actually too peaky.

This way, 2GR-FSE has really nice powerband with D4S. I hope it has D4S anyway, since in new RX, they really just mentioned DI nothing else.
Old 04-11-15, 09:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

why would you prefer 2.0t to new 3.5l V6? I wouldnt. Hopefully they leave V6 inside, at least this generation.

As to Tacoma, if Tacoma is getting new generation engine, Camry will get it too, they are not going to leave Camry behind, it is in most competitive class.

There would be loud screaming if either the 2AR 2.5-litre or the 2GR 3.5-litre engines were upgraded but did not find their way into the Camry. Fans of the Camry would rightly be loudly complaining that the Camry -- the best-selling car in the USA -- was being left behind (again), behind the Accord, Altima, Fusion, Sonata, new Malibu, etc., etc., etc.
Old 04-11-15, 09:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They could also use the new 2.0 T engine in the Camry (or for that matter the ES as well), however since the Camry went through significant changes recently I doubt if the engine updates are coming this year.
It'll probably arrive with the complete redesign of the Camry.

Originally Posted by pman6
the grille is taller and wider and in your face
Now that you posted the two side-by-side, it looks like the updated ES will have LED headlights. Those twin projectors look similar to the IS' LED headlights.
Old 04-12-15, 01:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
It'll probably arrive with the complete redesign of the Camry.

Now that you posted the two side-by-side, it looks like the updated ES will have LED headlights. Those twin projectors look similar to the IS' LED headlights.
I think in near future all Toyota/Lexus will move to LEDs completely vs Xenon... even new Auris now has twin projector led setup as their premium option, vs xenons before. So from low end to high end, it will be LED... it makes much sense, since LED also lasts so much longer.
Old 04-13-15, 05:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I think in near future all Toyota/Lexus will move to LEDs completely vs Xenon... even new Auris now has twin projector led setup as their premium option, vs xenons before. So from low end to high end, it will be LED... it makes much sense, since LED also lasts so much longer.
agreed. lower power consumption. much longer life. no heat. lower cost in volume. no brainer.

do led headlights require the up/down movement motors like hid's?
Old 04-13-15, 06:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed. lower power consumption. much longer life. no heat. lower cost in volume. no brainer.

hmm, good question... they have to have automatic lowering by law in EU.

When we saw that new adaptive LED system from Lexus week ago, it had a projector lens in front that moved, so I guess thats how it works.
Old 04-13-15, 03:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The newer LED headlights are indeed more efficient and effective. But thus far, they have been very pricey on new cars. At least that's the message manufacturers have been sending to consumers.
Old 04-13-15, 04:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The newer LED headlights are indeed more efficient and effective. But thus far, they have been very pricey on new cars. At least that's the message manufacturers have been sending to consumers.
As we can see with Corolla having LEDs in base vehicle, and in general with LED lighting coming down in pricing significantly in every industry, it seems that they have all been able to drastically reduce the price while improving the output, something that wasnt possible with xenons anymore.
Old 04-13-15, 05:15 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As we can see with Corolla having LEDs in base vehicle, and in general with LED lighting coming down in pricing significantly in every industry, it seems that they have all been able to drastically reduce the price while improving the output, something that wasnt possible with xenons anymore.
True but you can tell that the quality of the Corolla's LEDs is different (possibly of lower quality?) than the rest of the Toyota lineup (particularly the Prius and RAV4 EV with LED headlights). The Corolla's lens or light output appears quite blue to oncoming traffic. At certain angles, they look like ebay knockoffs (you know, like those LED bulbs you can buy from ebay to replace the interior lights in your car, for example. I bought a set once, they were bluer than they were white lol).

They're used as DRLs in Canada so all Corollas here will have their LED low beams running every time the car is on - that definitely puts faith in the longevity of the LED low beams in the Corolla.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

The Bi-LED headlamps in the 2015 Prius c and 2015 Prius v use a shade so the light output is essentially as bright as high beams but with a shade to create the low beam requirements.

The Camry and Mirai have separate LED high beams.

LED headlights do produce heat so they need a heat sink. Smaller bulbs don't produce much heat so they're ok in enclosed interior-type functions.
Old 04-13-15, 08:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
True but you can tell that the quality of the Corolla's LEDs is different (possibly of lower quality?) than the rest of the Toyota lineup (particularly the Prius and RAV4 EV with LED headlights). The Corolla's lens or light output appears quite blue to oncoming traffic. At certain angles, they look like ebay knockoffs (you know, like those LED bulbs you can buy from ebay to replace the interior lights in your car, for example. I bought a set once, they were bluer than they were white lol).

They're used as DRLs in Canada so all Corollas here will have their LED low beams running every time the car is on - that definitely puts faith in the longevity of the LED low beams in the Corolla.

The Bi-LED headlamps in the 2015 Prius c and 2015 Prius v use a shade so the light output is essentially as bright as high beams but with a shade to create the low beam requirements.

The Camry and Mirai have separate LED high beams.

LED headlights do produce heat so they need a heat sink. Smaller bulbs don't produce much heat so they're ok in enclosed interior-type functions.
I'd have to go along with that. The Corolla's standard LED's don't look like much more than xenons from a distance. But at least it's a step in the right direction and better than what others showcase in that class. When more car makers start offering them as standard equipment instead of making them a $900 option, I'll believe they are cheaper to make. As it stands now, according to window stickers across the country, they are coming to the consumer as more expensive than traditional lights.
Old 04-14-15, 03:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd have to go along with that. The Corolla's standard LED's don't look like much more than xenons from a distance. But at least it's a step in the right direction and better than what others showcase in that class. When more car makers start offering them as standard equipment instead of making them a $900 option, I'll believe they are cheaper to make. As it stands now, according to window stickers across the country, they are coming to the consumer as more expensive than traditional lights.
well hopefully they are like Xenons, since up until 1-2 years ago, Xenons had superior output to LEDs in real applications in $100k cars :-).

I remember that in home lighting, 2-3 years ago, LEDs were outrageously expensive but these days you can find LED bulbs for similar price as energy saving ones.

Quick Reply: The New Lexus ES to Make Its Global Debut at Auto Shanghai 2015