Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 09:09 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Lexus would be shooting itself in the foot if it did that. The 2015 RXs and GXs are selling very well. Telling people that a 2016 RX will have a 3rd row will cause the sales of those 2015 models (especially the GXs) to drop to zero, as potential buyers will just wait for the 2016 RX to arrive. Lexus is waiting to clear out the 2015 inventory before making a definitive announcement about 3rd row availability on the 2016 RX. If I was running Lexus, this is exactly what I would do.
I hear that logic but I respectfully disagree, Lexus released 16 RX 5 seat, right when NX was was in the throes of huge launch followed by great initial sales. Go in any blogs, forums etc., you'll see numerous people switched from previous RX to NX, and they now are already lamenting for having not waited for 16RX. If that is not cannibalizing, then what is? What do you think happens to the NX thunder after this at least in North America?

Going by that same logic, what do you think happens to 15 RX 5 seat when 16 RX 5 seat is announced? Now that we are in the what if zone, let me go one step further by saying, the sales of 15 RX 5 seat would really not fall off the cliff if 16 RX 7 seat was announced, compared to what is happening now.

And GX? They are truck based mid sized for one, which will be replaced some day, because of its inefficiencies both space usage wise and gas consumption wise. And GX doesn't sell well for what its worth.
Old 04-11-15, 09:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
I hear that logic but I respectfully disagree, Lexus released 16 RX 5 seat, right when NX was was in the throes of huge launch followed by great initial sales. Go in any blogs, forums etc., you'll see numerous people switched from previous RX to NX, and they now are already lamenting for having not waited for 16RX. If that is not cannibalizing, then what is? What do you think happens to the NX thunder after this at least in North America?

Going by that same logic, what do you think happens to 15 RX 5 seat when 16 RX 5 seat is announced? Now that we are in the what if zone, let me go one step further by saying, the sales of 15 RX 5 seat would really not fall off the cliff if 16 RX 7 seat was announced, compared to what is happening now.

And GX? They are truck based mid sized for one, which will be replaced some day, because of its inefficiencies both space usage wise and gas consumption wise. And GX doesn't sell well for what its worth.
you probably dont realize that manufacturers issue sales reports each month? Because you are wrong on all counts there.
Old 04-11-15, 09:46 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GX replacement needs a 3rd row. The RX does not, just like the Q5 & GLE do not.

Not sure why Jalopnik thinks the RX competes against an Acura and a Honda.
Old 04-11-15, 10:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
The GX replacement needs a 3rd row. The RX does not, just like the Q5 & GLE do not.

Not sure why Jalopnik thinks the RX competes against an Acura and a Honda.

The new RX is 11" longer than the Q5 and over 14" longer than the GLK.
No way a 3rd row would work in both.
Old 04-11-15, 02:07 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default It's coming

Lexus dealers in Australia are saying it's coming 2016 .
Old 04-11-15, 10:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT

The NX is a compact crossover and the RX is a mid-sized crossover, and if you have sat in both, back-to-back (I have), you would appreciate the difference. Despite any similarity in width, the NX is significantly narrower inside (especially in the back seat) than the RX; the RX is the true 5-seater but the NX is more of a 4+1 seater (that middle rear passenger better be small and not sitting in a child seat).

They may be cross-shopped but not by people who are looking for true 5-seater comfort. It is like the difference between the compact Corolla and the mid-sized Camry or ES: fitting 5 in a Corolla is a very tight squeeze but fitting 5 in the Camry or ES is much more comfortable. I know, I have tried it.
Old 04-12-15, 01:12 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The NX is a compact crossover and the RX is a mid-sized crossover, and if you have sat in both, back-to-back (I have), you would appreciate the difference. Despite any similarity in width, the NX is significantly narrower inside (especially in the back seat) than the RX; the RX is the true 5-seater but the NX is more of a 4+1 seater (that middle rear passenger better be small and not sitting in a child seat).

They may be cross-shopped but not by people who are looking for true 5-seater comfort. It is like the difference between the compact Corolla and the mid-sized Camry or ES: fitting 5 in a Corolla is a very tight squeeze but fitting 5 in the Camry or ES is much more comfortable. I know, I have tried it.
Not only NX is smaller but quality inside is one step below compared to the rest of Lexus offering sans CT. It has that Rav4 smell inside and everything feels feather light.
Old 04-12-15, 01:28 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Not only NX is smaller but quality inside is one step below compared to the rest of Lexus offering sans CT. It has that Rav4 smell inside and everything feels feather light.
Actually, imo the NX interior is a step up in quality from the 3IS and the current ES.
Old 04-12-15, 07:27 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow it seems that the majority of people here wants an RX with three rows. I am currently in the market now for a Luxury SUV Crossover. I been waiting a long time for the new RX to come out before I go to the dealer to buy an RX. So naturally I hold off until the new RX is out. So far just looking at the pictures I am very impressed especially the improved interior would be the best reason to buy one. I am not so sure about that full predator grill but i am sure it will grow on me.

Now if this new RX was only configured with a third row....I would NOT even consider buying it why? Because every three row crossover i have seen has less room in the secoond rows because they had to make enough room to accomodate the third row and make it at least usable....ACURA! I am looking at you. Every mid size suv crossover that had a third row, that i sat in the second row i find very tight for me. The whole point of a Luxury car/suv is comfort and quality NOT ultility. If I only wanted ultility and value I would just get a Highlander. So I am one of the few people that actually want a two row RX. THANK YOU LEXUS FOR MAKING THE NEW RX A TWO ROW!
I will put a special order in when the New RX becomes available.
Old 04-12-15, 01:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nights
Actually, imo the NX interior is a step up in quality from the 3IS and the current ES.
indeed... easily better than 3IS and ES, let alone CTh.
Old 04-12-15, 02:39 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

So now that the RX is for a fact coming with a third row option, that Jalopnik hit piece is completely pointless now??

See the press release below for the full rundown, or just trust us when we say you can get the RX with almost every driving aid out there. The rear seats now feature a power-fold feature, and when the seats are up second row passengers are treated to more leg- and knee-room.

That extra interior space comes from an overall stretching of the RX. Wheelbase grows 1.9 inches, while length is up almost five inches. What the new RX doesn't yet have, but we're told is on the way, is a third row of seats. The added versatility of a seven-passenger version should broaden the appeal of the RX to a wider audience. Expect to see the RX 350 and RX 450h in showrooms by the end of the year, with the three-row version coming sometime in 2016.http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/01/2...new-york-2015/

Last edited by G Star; 04-12-15 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 02:54 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G Star
So now that the RX is for a fact coming with a third row option
Says who??
Old 04-12-15, 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So now that the RX is for a fact coming with a third row option, that Jalopnik hit piece is completely pointless now??

Perhaps not entirely. Although it may not be completely on-topic, one of the issues in this thread is what will (or might) happen to the GX if and when a 3-row RX does debut......but that could (?) also be a subject for another thread itself. (In fact, we do have a thread going on GX/LX and which one will ultimately be more relevant)
Old 04-12-15, 03:15 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps not entirely. Although it may not be completely on-topic, one of the issues in this thread is what will (or might) happen to the GX if and when a 3-row RX does debut......but that could (?) also be a subject for another thread itself. (In fact, we do have a thread going on GX/LX and which one will ultimately be more relevant)
That Jalopnik hit piece was entirely focused on the fact that the RX will not have a third row, which somehow makes it a failure even though its sales are industry leading.

So if in fact the RX will come with an optional 3 row, that article will have been pointless. I'm not saying Lexus doesn't need a third row crossover, I actually think they do but I'm purely referencing the article right now.
Old 04-12-15, 05:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

RX is certainly not coming with 3rd row.

Quick Reply: Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York