Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York

Old 04-09-15, 05:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

and when and if the the RX gets a 3rd row option,the anti 3rd row people here will praise Lexus.
Old 04-09-15, 05:49 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Speaking of fetishes, even the base model NX with fabric seats is drop dead gorgeous. I don't know any other small premium SUV that gives the same feeling. Just wish I had enough money for one... If the new RX has the same interior design and quality, it'll be a big seller, with or without a third row.
Old 04-09-15, 06:53 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I don't know any other small premium SUV that gives the same feeling.
The Macan and the Evoque; though, both are more expensive than the NX.

Although I'm not the target buyer for the RX, I think it will sell well even w the massive grill and no 3rd row.
Old 04-09-15, 09:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Jalopnik is an echo chamber composed of mostly post-pubescent males who can't really afford to buy any of the cars they fetishize about (mostly German).
Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I don't even regard Jalopnik as an auto journalist site
well the site does have chris harris as a contributor.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...the fact that the NX is going to take away a number of the buyers who would otherwise be looking at a two-row RX.
i don't think so - the nx is a good bit smaller, and the new rx even bigger than the current rx.
Old 04-09-15, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i don't think so - the nx is a good bit smaller, and the new rx even bigger than the current rx.
Just look at the demand for the NX, though. Nobody can keep them in stock. I only (just barely) found one I could even review.
Old 04-09-15, 02:55 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 395 Likes on 240 Posts

Oh how I wish Lexus made a RX F. Let me close my eyes and continue dreaming
Old 04-09-15, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
Oh how I wish Lexus made a RX F. Let me close my eyes and continue dreaming
Perhaps?! There is more room in the engine bay now with the longer front. If the X5 M and ML63 AMG exist, no reason why an RX F couldn't either, though one would have to wonder what engine they would go with considering the 5.0L V8 is for RWD applications. We can dream can't we!
Old 04-09-15, 03:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i am not sure if rx a fwd car is ready for that kind of "fun". even the q5 isn't at that level yet?
Old 04-09-15, 03:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Jalopnik loves attacking Lexus and Acura while heaping praise on BMW's and other German cars.

The MDX is in a higher class(larger 3 row class) then RX with a higher price. RX sells better then the MDX and other 3 row SUV so I don't know where the writer is coming from. It may be nice to have a 3rd row for the RX but it is not needed, it is plenty successful configured the way it is.

The criticism should have mainly focused on the over aggressive exterior styling
Old 04-09-15, 03:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
A strategy the even Nissan has stuck to with the new Murano purposely sticking to 2 rows and focusing on comfort.

The best choice for 3 rows is the Highlander. Get a limited platinum and you essentially have a $50K Lexus.
1. Nissan stuck to two rows for the Murano...because they have the Pathfinder.

2. I don't want to pay $50,000 for a Toyota Highlander, I want to pay $60,000 for a three row Lexus crossover. A Highlander is not "essentially a Lexus". Its a Toyota.

I just bought a minivan, mainly because none of the 3 row crossovers excited me enough to ignore the benefits a minivan has over them. Had there been a 3 row RX, or some other Lexus 3 row crossover I might have bought that.

Lexus is leaving a ton of sales on the table by not having a 3 row crossover.
Old 04-09-15, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by kwr
The Macan and the Evoque; though, both are more expensive than the NX.

Although I'm not the target buyer for the RX, I think it will sell well even w the massive grill and no 3rd row.
It'll be stiff competition for say top trim levels of the JGC, MKX and Touareg which also have seating for 5.
Old 04-09-15, 03:23 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He made a huge deal out of the RX not having a 3rd row seat. The RX out sells all other luxury SUVs. Apparently A LOT of people like it without a 3rd row seat. His entire article is a moot point.
Old 04-09-15, 03:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not sure if rx a fwd car is ready for that kind of "fun". even the q5 isn't at that level yet?
Audi SQ5

Even if the RX got 350-400hp option that would be acceptable. Just something to push the envelope a little more. It's great that the new V6 puts out 300hp, it'll be plenty for day to day, however compared to the competition its already falling behind. 330-360hp is the new 300hp these days. It'd be nice if F or F-Sport could give it more bite in the future.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
2. I don't want to pay $50,000 for a Toyota Highlander, I want to pay $60,000 for a three row Lexus crossover. A Highlander is not "essentially a Lexus". Its a Toyota.
Thank you
Old 04-09-15, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
He made a huge deal out of the RX not having a 3rd row seat. The RX out sells all other luxury SUVs. Apparently A LOT of people like it without 3rd row seat. His entire article is a moot point.
But the question is would more people like it if it had a third row seat. My $60,000 they would have had. Would the people who buy it with two rows buy it with three rows? Probably. Remember...it got bigger anyways, so the argument that a third row would make it bigger is moot.

I don't really care if its the RX, an RX-L, or a TX, or whatever. Lexus needs a 3 row crossover, and they need one now because brand loyal customers like me are leaving the brand because they don't have a vehicle there that fills our needs. I didn't buy the old RX because it was boring, however I would buy this new RX...except that my life situation now makes it not practical for my needs.

The segment is full of boring, poorly made, half thought out vehicles that are selling well...Lexus could dominate this market with a well executed vehicle. I drove everything...and there was nothing in the segment that talked me out of buying a minivan.
Old 04-09-15, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just look at the demand for the NX, though. Nobody can keep them in stock. I only (just barely) found one I could even review.
we already know that NX is not taking RX sales, it is selling next to old RX right now and Lexus says it is actually raising RX sales, not other way around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York