Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 10:54 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York

http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-le...yor-1696229064

Old 04-08-15, 11:11 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buzzfeed style headline, I wont even bother with this crap... Sensationalist click bait headline = ad money.
Old 04-08-15, 11:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Jalopnik
Old 04-08-15, 12:54 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the RX needs a third row, then the Camry needs a third row.
Old 04-08-15, 01:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

For proof of just how important the third-row seat is, consider the RX’s chief rivals. You have the Acura MDX, based on the Honda Pilot, both of which have standard three-row seating. You have the Infiniti QX60, based on the Nissan Pathfinder, both of which have standard three-row seating. And then you have the RX, based on the Toyota Highlander. Now, the Highlander has standard three-row seating. But the RX? It’s still limited to just you and four of your closest friends, headed to a nice game of bridge at Sunrise Acres.
The author here, amid the rest of his complaints, overlooked one of the chief reasons why the new RX, if not standard, should have at least a third-row seat option....the fact that the NX is going to take away a number of the buyers who would otherwise be looking at a two-row RX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-15 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 01:38 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Typical Jalopnik article jabbing at another Lexus car, nothing new with that site. They're always trolling Lexus in general.
Old 04-08-15, 01:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A 3rd row wouldn't be important to me but the '16RX should really have a 3rd row option.
The writer is correct,IMO.
Old 04-08-15, 01:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why not just buy a highlander if you want the 3rd row? They are in similar price ranges. Pilot and MDX have 3rd rows but the MDX is in a higher grade

Besides isnt the TX that is rumored going to solve this 3rd row need?
Old 04-08-15, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A 3rd row wouldn't be important to me but the '16RX should really have a 3rd row option.
The writer is correct,IMO.
I agree on that (as I tried to make clear above)...but I think he missed a key reason WHY it needs at least a third-row option, if not standard....the ability of the NX to take away a number of two-row RX sales.
Old 04-08-15, 02:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The RX and NX have been selling side by side for a few months now and RX sales don't show any sign of decrease, either by presence of the NX or a need for change in RX DNA. Adding a third row to the RX completely changes the identity of the car, which since inception has placed importance on its car like personality in a crossover utility vehicle. If we have learned anything from BMW, you cannot have too many models. There is room for an NX, RX, and a third row crossover. IMO, they shouldn't create a TX but make the GX less truckish to fill the position. We don't need a GX and LX and the market has long moved away from such offroading vehicles.
Old 04-08-15, 03:02 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Buzzfeed style headline, I wont even bother with this crap... Sensationalist click bait headline = ad money.
Yup, and not enough people understand this concept.
Old 04-08-15, 03:07 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And that loser will still sell by the boat load.
Old 04-08-15, 03:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
The RX and NX have been selling side by side for a few months now and RX sales don't show any sign of decrease, either by presence of the NX or a need for change in RX DNA. Adding a third row to the RX completely changes the identity of the car, which since inception has placed importance on its car like personality in a crossover utility vehicle. If we have learned anything from BMW, you cannot have too many models. There is room for an NX, RX, and a third row crossover. IMO, they shouldn't create a TX but make the GX less truckish to fill the position. We don't need a GX and LX and the market has long moved away from such offroading vehicles.
Well, worldwide, Lexus could do with CX, NX, RX, TX, GX and LX.

I assume that TX would be mostly US proposition and LX would cater to Arabian countries, like today. GX is in between - more luxurious than TX for US market and less expensive than LX for rest of the world.

All that hoopla about new platforms last month was about Lexus finding ways to reduce costs to produce lower volume models, hence 40% lesser factory setup costs and 20% lesser build costs, with up to 9 models on same lines, to be re-configured in an hour or two.

So hopefully we dont actually lose models. World is very big, many different markets need very different things.
Old 04-08-15, 03:14 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Crap. If they say so, then it must be true. I won't be be getting the rx b/c I take these auto journalists very super seriously
Old 04-08-15, 04:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Crap. If they say so, then it must be true. I won't be be getting the rx b/c I take these auto journalists very super seriously
I don't even regard Jalopnik as an auto journalist site

Quick Reply: Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York