Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
we already know that NX is not taking RX sales, it is selling next to old RX right now and Lexus says it is actually raising RX sales, not other way around.
So what have we learned?! Add more CUVS Lexus!
Old 04-09-15, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

we already know that NX is not taking RX sales, it is selling next to old RX right now and Lexus says it is actually raising RX sales, not other way around.
Well, OK, we'll see. Maybe the market for crossover SUVs is so hot right now that the 2-row RX and NX are both in demand. We might also see a lot of 2015 RXs sold just from people looking for a better deal before the new '16 model debuts with a higher price.
Old 04-09-15, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Read the responses to the Jalopnik article. Some of my take-aways:

This is SO true. We are going to be in the mid-size SUV market soon, so when I saw the model premier I thought through it in this order (as a former Lexus owner):

Exterior Styling - Pretty good, and I like the rear-window C-D pillar thingy. Check.
Interior Styling - Much improved, the infotainment screen doesn’t stick out of the dash like a $59 Android Tablet. Check.
Safety - Cheap safety systems upgrade is cool. Check.
Ownership Experience - Check. (AMAZING service in my town)
Reliability - Check.
What else will my wife care about when we sell our Pilot? Oh, 3rd row seats we use 5x a year but is a big deal when we do....DOH!
So, that new MDX is looking pretty good!
as a current mdx owner, and 2x former lexus owner, this article is 100% correct.

i was looking for the same in the RX press release.
Couldn’t agree more. Had to leave our beloved Lexus to get the 3d row. Went with infiniti but will hapily switch back if they release an extended wheel/3d row or a new line “TX” with a 3d row.
I couldn’t agree more. With a second child on the way, we were shopping for a small SUV to replace our A4. It had to have all the bells and whistles but be a bit more reliable than what the Germans over-engineer. We would have settled on an MDX, but ended with an RX because of a bad experience with a car dealer, and we got a much better deal on the RX. However, months later I’m still wondering if we made the right decision, the car just feels empty without that tiny third row folded away in the back. The only thing I’ll say is that one more kid and good bye RX, hello MDX.

As to other Lexus SUV’s like the GX, they have less usable room (not just statistics and specs) in the back with the third row up than an MDX, and the MDX can be had for much less than the GX or the LX. One more note, even the RAV4 can be bought with a third row...
Lexus NEEDS a 3 row crossover.
Old 04-09-15, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
2. I don't want to pay $50,000 for a Toyota Highlander, I want to pay $60,000 for a three row Lexus crossover. A Highlander is not "essentially a Lexus". Its a Toyota.
We know your that money would not be involved, but, just for the record, a loaded Highlander Limited can get within a couple thousand of 50K, and the Hybrid can easily run over 50K...it starts at almost 48K.

Lexus is leaving a ton of sales on the table by not having a 3 row crossover.
I tend to agree with you, but others here are also making the argument that 2-row RXs are continuing to sell, even with the NX undercutting it from below.
Old 04-09-15, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We know your money would not be involved, but, just for the record, a loaded Highlander Limited can get within a couple thousand of 50K, and the Hybrid can easily run over 50K...it starts at almost 48K.
I'm not saying it doesn't, and I'm not saying that $50k is too much to pay for a loaded Highlander either. I'm just saying that Toyota offering a $50k loaded Highlander isn't a reason Lexus should not offer a $60k 3 row crossover, which is what JPL said. Lexus and Toyota are very different marques now, different feel, different quality, different experience. Just because I like Lexus does not mean I like Toyota. In fact...Toyota doesn't make anything with a "Toyota" badge I find appealing really. I remember standing there in the dealership when we were looking at the Sienna, looking around the showroom floor and saying "Wow...I don't find ANY car in this showroom appealing on any level". I did not feel that way at Honda, or at Kia.

I tend to agree with you, but others here are also making the argument that 2-row RXs are continuing to sell, even with the NX undercutting it from below.
I'm not saying the RX doesn't sell well, it does, I'm just saying they are leaving buyers on the table by not competing in the 3 row segment.
Old 04-09-15, 04:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Didn't autoblog quote a Lexus PR saying the third row option is coming early 2016?

What happened to the TX rumors?

Don't forget, MB R class died even though in my opinion it was a great car but wasn't a third row car, I don't think it had an optional third row either, anybody know?

I think Lexus can do much better in that segment, plus throw in hybrid savings for a pretty epic third row cross over that would sell well to the family unit.
Old 04-09-15, 05:11 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how you can add a 3rd row to the new RX with its sloping roof..
Old 04-09-15, 06:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying it doesn't, and I'm not saying that $50k is too much to pay for a loaded Highlander either. I'm just saying that Toyota offering a $50k loaded Highlander isn't a reason Lexus should not offer a $60k 3 row crossover, which is what JPL said. Lexus and Toyota are very different marques now, different feel, different quality, different experience. Just because I like Lexus does not mean I like Toyota. In fact...Toyota doesn't make anything with a "Toyota" badge I find appealing really. I remember standing there in the dealership when we were looking at the Sienna, looking around the showroom floor and saying "Wow...I don't find ANY car in this showroom appealing on any level". I did not feel that way at Honda, or at Kia.

I'm not saying the RX doesn't sell well, it does, I'm just saying they are leaving buyers on the table by not competing in the 3 row segment.
Didn't say Lexus couldn't use a 3-row crossover. In fact I'd like to see the RX just big enough to accommodate it. The new design (and past designs) haven't allowed for 3 rows. The RX is too short and the roof line is too chopped out back. You would lose the traditional RX look. Perhaps that's fine but maybe a turn off for many of its buyers looking for the less boxy RX shape. I just don't see Lexus building 2 different length RX's either.

As for the Highlander, I know it's not a Lexus but certainly not far off. Personally I think it's more appealing than any Lexus SUV. Certainly a better value than any one of them as you are not paying for the badge. The Highlander is more vehicle for the dollar than the RX is. It's the likely candidate for my next vehicle.

Remember a 3-row RX would have to be at least the size of the Highlander, even if it's just an option. That might be too big for many of the buyers who have made the RX the best selling luxury crossover ever.
Old 04-09-15, 06:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

i dont think anyone is saying that Lexus shouldnt have 3 row SUV :-)

Just that it shouldnt be RX, because it compromises everything. It should be and will be dedicated model - TX.
Old 04-09-15, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrickHead
I don't see how you can add a 3rd row to the new RX with its sloping roof..
There would have to be an RX-L or something with a different rear configuration, a'la the Hyundai Santa Fe 5 and 7 seaters. That would allow them to be similar in price being the same line, which I think they would need to be.

Originally Posted by J-P-L
As for the Highlander, I know it's not a Lexus but certainly not far off. Personally I think it's more appealing than any Lexus SUV. Certainly a better value than any one of them as you are not paying for the badge. The Highlander is more vehicle for the dollar than the RX is. It's the likely candidate for my next vehicle.
It either is a Lexus, or it isn't. However nice the Highlander may be, it is NOT a Lexus. It doesn't have the look of a Lexus, the detailing and quality inside, the trim and fit and finish outside, it doesn't have the material quality, it doesn't have the warranty, it doesn't have the dealer support and it doesn't have the prestige. Its not a Lexus. Luxury buyers want those things, we're not satisfied with a Highlander no matter how nice it may be or how good a value it may be.

No doubt its more vehicle for the $$, but a Lexus or other luxury car is a luxury purchase, not a value purchase.

Just that it shouldnt be RX, because it compromises everything. It should be and will be dedicated model - TX.p
Thats not what Lexus said, they said a 3 row version of the RX is coming in 2016.
Old 04-09-15, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
highlander is very nice, i almost bought one. it drives really nice and the front dash is great. i think it even drives quieter than a current rx. but it's no lexus. no hid or led headlights. no led tail lights. no front parking sensors. cargo area fit/finish/materials looks shoddy compared to an rx (or what i ended up getting, the jeep grand cherokee summit). my jeep is not 3 row of course (which i didn't need) but has many advanced features a highlander doesn't offer like adaptive (bi xenon) headlights, auto high beam, led tails, no gas cap, it's rwd (or various 4wd), optional air suspension, etc. to name a few.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-09-15 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 09:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1. Nissan stuck to two rows for the Murano...because they have the Pathfinder.

2. I don't want to pay $50,000 for a Toyota Highlander, I want to pay $60,000 for a three row Lexus crossover. A Highlander is not "essentially a Lexus". Its a Toyota.

I just bought a minivan, mainly because none of the 3 row crossovers excited me enough to ignore the benefits a minivan has over them. Had there been a 3 row RX, or some other Lexus 3 row crossover I might have bought that.

Lexus is leaving a ton of sales on the table by not having a 3 row crossover.
i don't have much to add to this one. new highlander is nice but it's far from lexus. still a lot of plastic and the feel is completely different. i am not saying highlander is cheap, i am just saying the recent lexus is that much bteter

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Audi SQ5

Even if the RX got 350-400hp option that would be acceptable. Just something to push the envelope a little more. It's great that the new V6 puts out 300hp, it'll be plenty for day to day, however compared to the competition its already falling behind. 330-360hp is the new 300hp these days. It'd be nice if F or F-Sport could give it more bite in the future.

Thank you
f sport would be nice with more power

sorry but just like gsf, a 350hp rx and call it rx f, not sure if that's good for f line. similary sq5 is nice but it's not x5m or m63

Read the responses to the Jalopnik article. Some of my take-aways:

Lexus NEEDS a 3 row crossover.
that's what i have been trying to say since my first post. the article is harsh and exaggerated, but it's not without a point. read my rx review couple months ago and i said the same thing. there is nx, lexus needs to expand the rx. 3rd row is not a must, but it gives a great option. there are plenty of people out there (you included) who wants a lexus cuv with 3rd row
Old 04-09-15, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
that's what i have been trying to say since my first post. the article is harsh and exaggerated, but it's not without a point. read my rx review couple months ago and i said the same thing. there is nx, lexus needs to expand the rx. 3rd row is not a must, but it gives a great option. there are plenty of people out there (you included) who wants a lexus cuv with 3rd row
And the best example is to look at the X5. The X5 has an optional third row, I know two people with new X5s, neither has the third row...but they didn't not buy the vehicle because a third row was optional.

Now, an X5 with the third row doesn't solve my issue, I need adults to be able to ride back there but its better than nothing.
Old 04-09-15, 11:02 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Are 3-row SUVs a mainly North American thing? On anything the size of an X5 or smaller, the third row is only for kids or really short adults, and cargo space is reduced to almost nothing. You would have to go up to Q7 size before you get a decent third row.
Old 04-10-15, 04:35 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand the nay sayers. Where's the problem with having a 3rd row option. If you don't want it you can get the standard 2 row RX and if you wan't the 3rd row you go for this option. Why limit the appeal of the RX. And I don't even think it would be a usable 3rd row but if people are asking for it why not give them.

That said I also expect a rise for the 2016 RX prices since there isn't much difference between base NX and RX prices? Or am I wrong?

Quick Reply: Why The Lexus RX Was The Biggest Loser In New York