Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Could BMW Supra Pave Way for BMW Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 08:08 AM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could BMW Supra Pave Way for BMW Lexus?

We pretty much already knew BMW would be partnering with Toyota a bit on the Supra comeback, we just didn't realize how much they'd be involved. Or that Lexus might get roped into the whole sordid affair.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 04-08-15, 08:42 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Would that make it a dependable BMW or an unreliable Lexus?

Lexus comfort with BMW power sounds very appealing though
Old 04-08-15, 10:34 AM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
Would that make it a dependable BMW or an unreliable Lexus?

Lexus comfort with BMW power sounds very appealing though
I too have the same concern.. BMW are leaders in performance and while I greatly respect the M5 and M3, when it comes to reliability, its just straight up sad. I always laugh at the new BMW commercials on how they advertise that "AFTER 3 YEARS ITS STILL THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" GASP?! after 4 years then what? the thing falls to pieces by the mile? Lexus is still the dream machine in my personal opinion after 5,6,7, 10, 15 years, and counting! Wish i could say the same for BMW there..

Anyway with the collaboration, its interesting and yet still painful (as a Toyota fan) to know that the car is not 100% genuine Toyota engineering. Although Toyota/Lexus has really stepped up their game in the aesthetics department in the past 5-7 years as well as their performance, BMW i think still holds an edge over them in that area, so i suppose its not all bad. I have been dreaming of the day that Toyota will bring back the Inline 6, they seem to be a thing of the past , but we will never forget the legendary 2JZ or RB26 of Japanese Inline 6 History. So even though its powered by a BMW powertrain, the supra will remain true to its name (however painful that may be).

What i still am unclear on though, is will the car be released under the BMW name or will it be released under both, similar to the FRS/BRZ project? Because hell if im driving that thing with BMW badges all over it
Old 04-08-15, 12:12 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Doesnt matter who makes it, as long as its made and its competitive.

BMW reliability is probably going to be no worse than the subaru reliability in the FR-S/GT86.
Old 04-08-15, 06:16 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know its super popular to blast Germans here, but please do some research first, http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study

BMW was actually above industry average, its not great, and certainly not as good as Toyota, but geez you guys love making it sound like they make the least reliable cars in the world.

I'm not a German car apologist either as I do have a japanese car in my garage, and wouldn't hesitate to pick up a IS350 in a heartbeat.
Old 04-08-15, 09:10 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I know its super popular to blast Germans here, but please do some research first, http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study

BMW was actually above industry average, its not great, and certainly not as good as Toyota, but geez you guys love making it sound like they make the least reliable cars in the world.

I'm not a German car apologist either as I do have a japanese car in my garage, and wouldn't hesitate to pick up a IS350 in a heartbeat.
I'm genuinely concerned about this BMW partnership too. Any repeats of the N62, N63, and N54 engine quality issues would put a major dent in Toyota's perfect reputation. The worst part about the issues with those engines was that their worst issues didn't show up until 3-4 years down the road.
Old 04-08-15, 10:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

The fact that Toyota is so cheap that it cant spend the R&D $$$$$ to develop its own proper RWD platform and inline 6 engine makes me sick. They should not call it a Supra........

How much profit is enough???
These Toyota guys are sitting on piles of cash reserves and cant spend some money to bring back one of the most respected cars in its history. Thats just sad.
Even Honda spent the money to bring back the NSX.
Old 04-09-15, 07:51 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a Toyota/Lexus enthusiast point of view it is disappointing to hear that not only the platform of this car will be made mostly by BMW but now also the HEART/Engine.
From a Business point of view I can see why Toyota is doing this. Obviously to SAVE money, but also to be able to price this car so most can afford it rather than pricing it at GTR money or above and giving more for less to enthusiast which is what the last Supra was about.

The 2JZ-GTE is what made the Supra legendary. This upcoming car will probably be more track focused and a more modern ‘drivers car’ with decent power 425+ HP. I am hoping Toyota tweeks and updates whatever they need to on this BMW I6 to make it more reliable and able to retain power with mods and not loose reliability. Maybe BMW can take advantage of learning what the Japenese can do to their engine to make it a GREAT engine. I doubt it will ever replace the status of the 2JZ which was over engineered from factory but they can at least make something close.

If in fact it is named Supra which it does look like it will now being an inline 6 turbo motor, it will be a different car from what was the last Supra. It will be 2 decades 1998-2018 since the last Supra came out and when the new one is to come. The MKIV will always be a great historic car from Toyota but we need something new for this Era and I’ll wait to see what really comes out to decide if this really deserves a Supra badge or not.
Old 04-10-15, 05:00 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm genuinely concerned about this BMW partnership too. Any repeats of the N62, N63, and N54 engine quality issues would put a major dent in Toyota's perfect reputation. The worst part about the issues with those engines was that their worst issues didn't show up until 3-4 years down the road.
Sorry what? Toyotas perfect reputation? Didnt they get fined millions by the US government and had to recall millions of cars???? Dont be blinded by your passion for ToyoLex vehicles.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The fact that Toyota is so cheap that it cant spend the R&D $$$$$ to develop its own proper RWD platform and inline 6 engine makes me sick. They should not call it a Supra........

These Toyota guys are sitting on piles of cash reserves and cant spend some money to bring back one of the most respected cars in its history. Thats just sad.
With this economy there is no way in hell Toyota is going to take a massive risk such as develop a platform & engine on their own, from scratch. I would much rather see BMW make this platform than toyota and end up with a bloated car with no feel (ala RC-F, though the engine is sensational).
Old 04-10-15, 07:44 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77

Great point. Lexus is the undisputed leader in reliability (hands down), but I've had zero issues with my last 3 Audi S5's. It's not like the Germans are falling apart as soon as you drive them out of the showroom.
Old 04-12-15, 06:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

as long as BMW stays out of the engine department we'll be fine.
Old 04-12-15, 12:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
as long as BMW stays out of the engine department we'll be fine.
They are using a BMW engine AND chassis.

Besides styling - this new Supra appears to be all BMW.
Old 04-12-15, 02:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Kind of sad that the world's #1 automaker doesn't sell a single damn sports car, and is completely unwilling to build one themselves despite the pent up demand.
Old 04-12-15, 11:53 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Kind of sad that the world's #1 automaker doesn't sell a single damn sports car, and is completely unwilling to build one themselves despite the pent up demand.
Is Toyota not in racing?
Old 04-13-15, 06:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Why is BMW partnering with Toyota to develop RWD platform? It goes both ways.

I wouldnt be so sure about who is going to do what.

But in any case, this is project between Toyota and BMW, and specifically not Lexus.

Quick Reply: Could BMW Supra Pave Way for BMW Lexus?