Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Could BMW Supra Pave Way for BMW Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 08:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Why is BMW partnering with Toyota to develop RWD platform? It goes both ways.

I wouldnt be so sure about who is going to do what.

But in any case, this is project between Toyota and BMW, and specifically not Lexus.
Umm all the reports say that BMW is providing the RWD platform.
Toyota RWD platforms dont exist except for the FRS/GT86 (too small) and IS/GS (too heavy).

Toyota is providing their expertise on hybrid powertrain, which will not be included in the Supra.

Not sure why you brought up Lexus, but anyway Toyota = Lexus.
They are NOT managed / run as 2 independent entities.
Old 04-13-15, 09:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Umm all the reports say that BMW is providing the RWD platform.
Toyota RWD platforms dont exist except for the FRS/GT86 (too small) and IS/GS (too heavy).

Toyota is providing their expertise on hybrid powertrain, which will not be included in the Supra.

Not sure why you brought up Lexus, but anyway Toyota = Lexus.
They are NOT managed / run as 2 independent entities.
I brought up Lexus because thread title talks about Lexus :-).

As to the Toyota RWD platforms, Toyota sells 10+ vehicles on RWD platforms, just not in western world. I am sure they will be doing new RWD platform anyway (they already said they will in their latest platform report).

How is Toyota providing "hybrid expertise" when it is not going to be using hybrid engine? I think journalists are making a lot of stuff up, as usual.

BMW is probably buying some hybrid stuff from Toyota, Toyota is buying some engines from BMW, and they are developing vehicle together because likely neither of them would do it alone due to low sales / high costs. Likely all 3 are separate deals.

As to "reports" they remind me of "reports" from same magazines on turbo BRZ coming... 3 years later, it is still not coming.
Old 04-13-15, 10:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

^
The RWD vehicles sold in Japan use the same RWD platform that underpins IS/GS.
Its not anything unique.
Therefore Toyota has little to add in terms of chassis development.

Toyota does have lots to add in hybrid expertise, specifically the batteries themselves i assume.

I personally dont care about hybrids, but BMW is basing their sports car from this venture on a hybrid powertrain.
Sort of like new NSX......maybe Lexus will get its own version.
The proposed Supra will not be hybrid as to keep it affordable.

Nothing against BMW, but i feel Toyota should spend the $$$$$ to get their own inline 6 engine and RWD platform. It would like BMW going to Audi and using their engine to put in a new M3.
Old 04-13-15, 11:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
The RWD vehicles sold in Japan use the same RWD platform that underpins IS/GS.
Its not anything unique.
Therefore Toyota has little to add in terms of chassis development.

Toyota does have lots to add in hybrid expertise, specifically the batteries themselves i assume.

I personally dont care about hybrids, but BMW is basing their sports car from this venture on a hybrid powertrain.
Sort of like new NSX......maybe Lexus will get its own version.
The proposed Supra will not be hybrid as to keep it affordable.

Nothing against BMW, but i feel Toyota should spend the $$$$$ to get their own inline 6 engine and RWD platform. It would like BMW going to Audi and using their engine to put in a new M3.
So Toyota has only 10+ RWD vehicles and hence they can not add anything to the development? Hard to follow the logic... this platform is going to be new - BMW itself is moving to FWD for their smaller vehicles, hence they need partner for something like this.

As to Lexus - NO. This is why I mentioned earlier that agreement is specifically for BMW and Toyota and NOT Lexus. It excludes Lexus.

Toyota said that it does not mean that they can not build Lexus based on Toyota model, but that would mean that this vehicle will have Toyota engine and be made in Toyota factory then.
Old 04-22-15, 03:36 AM
jeremylamb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how this merge of two powerhouse automotive companies coming together would be so bad. Bmw can help Toyota build a real drivers car and maybe a little out of their comfort zone. Toyota will keep a technologically-advanced and on the road, out of the shop..both can work on stepping out of the comfort zone..all this talk about Rwd, give it enough power and Awd
Old 04-22-15, 04:25 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota and BMW dont make AWD performance cars. **** AWD cause then all the fan boys will want a GTR killer. I dont think this will be a GTR killer