Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Purchased a 2015 Kia Sedona SX-Limited today

Old 04-07-15, 09:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts
Default Purchased a 2015 Kia Sedona SX-Limited today

Figured I'd start a thread, traded our Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in on a new Kia Sedona minivan today. Definitely a bittersweet day, we really enjoyed the Jeep...once our twins are older we'll be back into one I'm sure.

On to the Sedona, haven't had much time to play with it, but so far...for a minivan...I like it. Its definitely the "least ugly" and I like the layout of the front area with the normal console, makes it feel more like what we're used to. Space upgrade from the Jeep is huge.

Tech seems good, sifting through the huge manual now. A few omissions for those shopping:

1. The big one is the Sedona doesn't have a big rear seat entertainment option. They have a small screen dealer installed option, but no big factory widescreen like everybody else. Not an issue for us because our kids are so young, but I could see it would be a HUGE issue for someone with older kids.

2. Ours has every option, tech package with radar cruise, PCS, lane keep, surround view camera (awesome), auto high beams, etc etc. But...no automatic wipers? Also no TPMS with PSI readouts. Odd.

3. Remote start is a separate fob. Annoying.

Big plusses for us over the Odyssey and Sienna, the other vans we considered were the MUCH nicer interior of the Sedona, the much better exterior trim (gloss painted black trim vs grainy black). Didn't like the fixed second row of the Odyssey. Sienna was much more expensive similarly equipped.

Got a great deal on this van, $43,450 MSRP I paid $37,500. Great lease too, the lowest money factor I have ever seen, .00001. Thats 0.02% interest!

Will post pics once it stops raining! Will update this with my thoughts too.
Old 04-07-15, 10:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Will post pics once it stops raining!
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we're going to have crappy weather, with a stalled front, here in the VA/MD/DC region for the rest of the week, so it might not be until Saturday that you get a nice sunny dry background again for pictures.....unless the weather is a little better in NJ.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-15 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-07-15, 10:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah probably, we're taking it to NJ this weekend too, so it may even be next week...it needs to be polished too, its pretty dealer-swirled.

Also, there doesn't seem to be much Forum support for Kia at all. Kind of interesting seeing that they've had some popular models, the Optima, Soul, Sportage, etc. You'd think that there would be a decent forum.

Here are pictures of a similar van:

Old 04-07-15, 10:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks good! By the time you're ready for a new Jeep, that three row Grand Wagoneer may be available.
Old 04-07-15, 10:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah probably, we're taking it to NJ this weekend too, so it may even be next week...it needs to be polished too, its pretty dealer-swirled.
You've probably heard me talk about this a hundred times, but here's a good solution for swirl-marks. For light surface scratches (not for deep stuff), it works better than anything else I've ever used short of a full body-shop. You can probably get it at the Giant supermarkets, if there are any in your area....all the NoVA Giants in my area have it.

Old 04-07-15, 10:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I will also add that the process of leasing the Kia was the best I've probably ever had. I had no issue negotiating a fair price, and for the first time EVER they did not try and screw me around on the lease. I have never had a dealer quote me the stock MF on a lease the first time, ever...and thats including any of my Lexus cars...including when I've been a repeat Lexus leaser at the same dealer. When I asked for the MF on the lease...I was given what I already knew it was, .00001. When they calculated the lease figures, it was right the first time...that has never happened to me before, ever. Got quotes from two separate dealers...neither screwed me around at all.
Old 04-07-15, 10:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You've probably heard me talk about this a hundred times, but here's a good solution for swirl-marks. Works better than anything else I've ever used short of a full body-shop. You can probably get it at the Giant supermarkets, if there are any in your area....all the NoVA Giants here have it.

I'll tell ya what, you bring me a bottle of it you can do a mm review of my Sedona!
Old 04-07-15, 10:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'll tell ya what, you bring me a bottle of it you can do a mm review of my Sedona!
PM me with mailing address and I'll send you one. That's my standard car warming gift anyway.
Old 04-07-15, 10:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I shall take you up on that!
Old 04-08-15, 12:07 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats , I think it's a great van, I have a friend with the same vehicle , it's pretty sweet inside compared with the Sienna or Odyssey minivans.
Old 04-08-15, 02:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Very nice addition. This may sound odd, but I find the steering wheel the most attractive piece out there. It's not too far off from the BMW 3-series sport steering wheel.
Old 04-08-15, 05:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, there doesn't seem to be much Forum support for Kia at all. Kind of interesting seeing that they've had some popular models, the Optima, Soul, Sportage, etc. You'd think that there would be a decent forum.
It should be nice in Joisey this weekend.

As for Kia support, it's unfortunate. They have some pretty good models. It's disappointing to hear that they chintz out on rain sensing wipers and a sensible solution for remote start. But $37K for a top level loaded minivan, with more features than Honda or Toyota? It's hard to beat that. As much as I love my wife's CX-9, if I had to replace it today, I would probably end up with a Sorento. As much as I like the Highlander, and the '16 Pilot seems promising, it's hard to justify the $1,000s more you would have to spend on those cars.
Old 04-08-15, 06:03 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the new vehicle!

Btw, neither BMW or Audi shows tire pressures. And I hate rain sense wipers with a passion, and I've had lots of them.
Old 04-08-15, 06:32 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for their limited model, i'd expect options of a dark-colored interior...especially knowing kids are the likely reasoning behind the van purchase. other than that, looks really good and seems you got a really good deal

enjoy!
Old 04-08-15, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by baddis es
for their limited model, i'd expect options of a dark-colored interior...especially knowing kids are the likely reasoning behind the van purchase. other than that, looks really good and seems you got a really good deal

enjoy!
yeah I agree on that. Most of the interior is dark, it's the center of the seats and the top of the dash that are light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchased a 2015 Kia Sedona SX-Limited today