Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Renault/Nissan sees no problem with rusting cars if it's 10 years old.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 07:37 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Again, you can't blame the transmission on Renault. This was all JATCO and their poor design...which is why they got publicly called out. The issues with these has been fixed but it was still a stupid thing to have happen. Almost as bad as FCA's initial issues with the ZF 9-speed transmission.
Not true. Renault management came into the picture in 1999. JATCO was also reformed in 1999. Prior to 1999, JATCO did not have anywhere near the issues they are having since Renault management and influence came into the picture. Them getting publicly called out is nothing more than a PR move. If Renault wanted to "address" quality then they never should have accused Nissan of 'over-quality' nor would they have lowered Nissans reliability standards to begin with. They would also have shamed the laundry list of other components that have failed more frequently which they have kept quiet about:
$2500 timing chains
$2500 transfer cases on Murano's
$3000 oil consumption issues on the VQ
$1500 catalytic converters that destroy engines (add $4000)
$850 high pressure AC hoses
$9000 radiator/transmission catastrophes
$3000 head gasket issues with QR engines and VQ engines in 09+ Muranos and some Maxima's.
Carlos Ghosn's "I'm calling you out (post-Renault JATCO a.k.a TransTechnology Ltd.)" stunt is for show and is just a drop in the bucket. And even then, the emphasis is on quelling customer "suprises" and how to "provide more information to consumers about CVTs", (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ve-cvt-issues/)
rather than the issue of reliability ISSUES customers are headaching.

Last edited by Pamperme; 04-15-15 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 08:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If it was just a PR move they wouldn't have put their own talent in an influential position. They made some changes to avoid future quality issues, point blank.

Secondly, I never denied the rest of the issues that you have repeated incessantly. My sticking point is the transmission issues. JATCO conventional auto's have been largely very reliable (if not very well programmed in some instances), but these CVT's have required too much follow-up via extended warranties and programming updates. Also if anyone truly paid their dealer $9k for the radiatior/transmission replacement then they got hosed. The repair bills rarely exceed $5k, with most people coming in at least a grand under that.

Last edited by TangoRed; 04-14-15 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 08:38 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

If it was just a PR move they wouldn't have put their own talent in an influential position. They made some changes to avoid future quality issues, point blank.

Secondly, I never denied the rest of the issues that you have repeated incessantly. My sticking point is the transmission issues. JATCO conventional auto's have been largely very reliable (if not very well programmed in some instances), but these CVT's have required too much follow-up via extended warranties and programming updates. Also if anyone truly paid their dealer $9k for the radiatior/transmission replacement then they got hosed. The repair bills rarely exceed $5k, with most people coming in at least a grand under that.
What do you mean by "putting their own talent in an influential position"? And also, what and when were these "changes" that you say were made?
Also the transmission issues extend beyond the cvt. 04+ Maximas that had geared automatics were conking out as well. Overall this is a tangled web of reliability problems that has been spun since Renault's merge. And none of which is surprising given the history of Renaults reliability problems which has plagued that brand for decades.

Last edited by Pamperme; 04-14-15 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 04:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
What do you mean by "putting their own talent in an influential position"? And also, what and when were these "changes" that you say were made?
Also the transmission issues extend beyond the cvt. 04+ Maximas that had geared automatics were conking out as well. Overall this is a tangled web of reliability problems that has been spun since Renault's merge. And none of which is surprising given the history of Renaults reliability problems which has plagued that brand for decades.
"Nissan holds a 75% stake in Jatco and Ghosn is reassigning its most senior North American manufacturing and supply chain executive, Bill Krueger, to Jatco, where he will be executive vice president in charge o Jatco’s operations in the United States and Mexico. Tomoyoshi Sato, who held that position previously, will return to Japan for a new assignment."

And as I've said before, 5th gen Maximas had auto transmission issues as well. On the Infiniti side of things however, they transmissions have been robust from a reliability standpoint during a time when the same couldn't be said for their peers.
Old 04-15-15, 05:42 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

"Nissan holds a 75% stake in Jatco and Ghosn is reassigning its most senior North American manufacturing and supply chain executive, Bill Krueger, to Jatco, where he will be executive vice president in charge o Jatco’s operations in the United States and Mexico. Tomoyoshi Sato, who held that position previously, will return to Japan for a new assignment."

And as I've said before, 5th gen Maximas had auto transmission issues as well. On the Infiniti side of things however, they transmissions have been robust from a reliability standpoint during a time when the same couldn't be said for their peers.
All of this reaffirms what I've been saying. JATCO has been reformed since 1999. Problems have been occurring since then. Carlos has been shifting around management all throughout Nissan since Renault's inception and overall reliability's been downhill every since. And the fact that Renaults silence on the litany of other problems that plague Nissans, and Renault accusing Nissan of 'over-quality', and Renault's history of producing junk, all instill no confidence in an increased reliability trajectory even if new car CVT failures get addressed. Overall reliability problems, which have been increasing with each new model year, reached the limit of public tolerance when brand new cars were failing their CVTs, something that couldn't be dismissed as simply "wear and tear".

If I knew how to post pics on here from my personal collection I could show you the consumer Reports rating of a 10 year old 5th gen and a 10 year old 6th gen transmission. The 5th gen is BETTER than average and had been for all 10 years, the 6th gen was WORSE than average. It's possible to some degree that you are correct concerning 5th gen transmissions, considering the gradual influence of Renault began in 1999; because as time increased, so did Renault's influence and so the 5th gen may very well have been tainted too, especially in comparison to the stellar 4th gen. But according to Consumer Reports this wasnt so apparent by the 10th year, maybe problems occurred at the 11+ year off of CR's radar.

Infiniti's better performing reliability stats is something I've made mentioned of before. While Carlos was cost-cutting Nissans's left and right, Infiniti refused and it's better reliability bears that out.

Last edited by Pamperme; 04-15-15 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-15-15, 01:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

I am sure Nissan/Renault optimizes their workforce just like everyone else, promoting new/better managers.

However that does not change the fact that started this thread - Nissan does not have quality as priority. As simple as that - it doesnt matter what executive said, it can be seen on their cars on sale right now. Quality is not something Nissan executives are losing sleep over...
Old 04-21-15, 09:30 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am sure Nissan/Renault optimizes their workforce just like everyone else, promoting new/better managers.

However that does not change the fact that started this thread - Nissan does not have quality as priority. As simple as that - it doesnt matter what executive said, it can be seen on their cars on sale right now. Quality is not something Nissan executives are losing sleep over...
You're right and it just keeps getting worse and worse:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...able-cars.html

Four of the most unreliable cars for 2014 all come from Renault/ Nissan-Infiniti
Infiniti q50
Infiniti qx60
Nissan Altima
Nissan Pathfinder
(The new Sentra and Armada are duds too)

The new Quest, maxima, Frontier, xterra and Murano start off halfway decent, but begin falling apart after 3 to 5 years.
I'm also seeing owners of Altimas trading early and taking a big hit in depreciation. Here's one example: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/201...ed-altima.html
It really is a shame because these vehicles are all very attractive looking.

Last edited by Pamperme; 04-21-15 at 09:46 AM.