Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's new 1.2 liter turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 11:05 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
who knows? As I said, they are not introducing engines to all of the lineup at the same time.Some vehicles keep using old one, probably due to the price. For instance Corolla got brand new 1.5 NR last week but this week Auris kept old 1.5l NZ engine as base and got this new turbo as top option. Or Yaris in Japan got latest 1.33 NR engine while Yaris in Europe kept old one NR but got updated KR.

As to Tacomas, you are correct - it will be 280hp or so, we can see the lowered redline at 6100rpm.
This is actually good - as top hp in Tacoma matters little, by far the best thing is the addition of D4S system, so it should have 10% higher torque/hp throughout the range plus engine seems to be optimized for Tacoma. If they moved usable torque 400rpm below compared to RX, only good things can happen.
All makes sense! Thank you.
Old 04-07-15, 08:51 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it will be updated to all these latest technologies outlined above, just like those engines.
Thanks!

10 char
Old 04-08-15, 01:00 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
With peak torque dead flat from 1500-4100rpm, this is going to be very drivable for such a small, low-powered engine.
It drives like a diesel and its priced like one too compared to base NA engine.
Old 04-08-15, 05:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
It drives like a diesel and its priced like one too compared to base NA engine.
yep... also consumes like one too... lets hope pricing is around 1.6l in Europe, not too much more. Japanese top spec with 1.2t has leather interior vs 1.8l variant with cloth, so thats another thing offsetting the price.
Old 04-11-15, 01:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

More info from AutoNews article:

Eight of the 14 new engines have been released. At least one of the upcoming engines will achieve a thermal efficiency rate of 40 percent, said Tetsu Yamada, general manager of engine design at Toyota's Unit Center powertrain development division.
The 1.2-liter turbo delivers thermal efficiency of 36 percent, compared with traditional turbo rates of between 30 and 35 percent. The new 1.5-liter direct-injection engine gets 38 percent. The ultraefficient engine on the Toyota Prius hybrid, by contrast, achieves thermal efficiency of 37 percent.
By year end, the rollout will include 14 improved engines covering about 30 percent of Toyota's global nameplates

I assume 40% one is for Prius. This is of course maximum efficiency at some point of rev range.

Also 30% of vehicles sold covered by the end of the year.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...-2-liter-turbo
Old 04-11-15, 01:41 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This engine delivers virtually identical figures to Nissan's 1.2L turbo that we have in my wife's Qashqai. Very smooth, it pulls strongly from low revs like a diesel. I've been very impressed with it.
Old 04-11-15, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
This engine delivers virtually identical figures to Nissan's 1.2L turbo that we have in my wife's Qashqai. Very smooth, it pulls strongly from low revs like a diesel. I've been very impressed with it.
thats nice to hear... paper specs wise, it should be even better than 1.2t Nissan engine - 12% more torque and 10% better MPG than Nissan Pulsar 1.2t... CVT seems to be better than auto in Pulsar too, much faster and better mpg. At least on paper so far, lets hope it stays the same in real life.

Lets hope it does not cost more though as it has more tech to pull those better numbers.

Here is the chart from presentation, I think they are comparing it to 1.2t from Nissan/Renault, I dont know of any other new 1.2t.

Toyota's new 1.2 liter turbo-ahf1wiw.png