Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus luxury SUV

Old 04-06-15, 07:51 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Future of Lexus luxury SUV

In search for my GS replacement, I narrowed down to the GX. Dealer is offering me an unbelievable deal on this. It makes me wonder why since GX has been a hot SUV since the refresh came out. I did some reading and it seems as if they may cancel this model in 2016 and introduce the TX and may do something to the LX as well. As we know this rumor has been fluctuated for a while now but recently came up again. Along with the deal they are offering, I wonder if it is coming for real. Does anyone have any insight news? I know Lexus is known to keep their secrets well as... cats hide their p**p () but some of you may know more. Thank you.
Old 04-06-15, 08:09 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 4Runner has outsold the FJ, though, by a significant margin, even though the two are mechanically the same under the skin and interior. Toyota would have less reason to pull the plug on the 4Runner. In some ways, it actually has a cult-following......I know people who swear by them.
It's also one of the last body on frame suvs out there. FJ sales were miniscule, but 4runner sales are not huge. Due to CAFE, it's in danger at least for the US market. And if it goes, the GX will likely to too.
Old 04-06-15, 08:17 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LX is getting updated for 2016MY but as far as i know it will still be the same generation just new face and interior.
Old 04-06-15, 08:48 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2013 Lexus sold 27,645 LX 570's. No doubt this number increased in 2014 and will increase even further once the updated version is launched. More than the Sequoia (26,202) - LEXUS LS ( 25,602 ) - Escalade ( 25,492 ) - Lexus GX ( 19,445 ) - QX 80 ( 15,894 ) - G CLASS ( 8404 )

After the sales hike for the GX in 2014 i think it is higher than the LX, either way both models are doing well in general i would say especially considering the prices and the fact they are based on the Prado + LC200 which are money making machines for Toyota world wide....

I could not find separate figures for LC 200 but combined with LC 70 the number is 172,072..... Prado 150 =154,336.....
To be honest though i am not sure how accurate these figures are...

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 04-06-15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 09:37 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the same situation. Im holding up on the MDX. Hopefully suv cross over with 7 seats will be out next year.
Old 04-06-15, 10:48 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

It's an interesting debate (to me). In the world market, the Prado (GX) and 200 series Land Cruiser (LX) are two of the most popular vehicles sold. Middle east, Australia, Africa are full of them and they are some of the most sought after vehicles. Toyota will keep these models going to serve those markets.

Here in the US - these vehicles are sold as premium Lexus models that many on this forum complain about because they aren't "crossover" enough. People seem to prefer a SUV based on a minivan chassis full of electronic gizmos that make them feel better about their product compared to their neighbor's.

I dunno - I guess maybe I'm the minority that sees way more value in a well-built, solid construction, high reliability vehicle that still rides nice and has creature comforts, but won't crumble on a dirt road or spend half it's life in a service bay getting its bugs worked out. This is why I stick with Toyota and Lexus - they seem to be holding tight to the origins of the SUV - utility. There are options (RX, Highlander) in the Toyota family, but I for one am happy that we still have ladder frame GX's and LX's to pick. If I wanted a minivan wagon I'd probably drive an MDX.

I wonder why the US market is so different than the rest of the world.
Old 04-06-15, 10:48 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
In 2013 Lexus sold 27,645 LX 570's. No doubt this number increased in 2014 and will increase even further once the updated version is launched. More than the Sequoia (26,202) - LEXUS LS ( 25,602 ) - Escalade ( 25,492 ) - Lexus GX ( 19,445 ) - QX 80 ( 15,894 ) - G CLASS ( 8404 )

After the sales hike for the GX in 2014 i think it is higher than the LX, either way both models are doing well in general i would say especially considering the prices and the fact they are based on the Prado + LC200 which are money making machines for Toyota world wide....

I could not find separate figures for LC 200 but combined with LC 70 the number is 172,072..... Prado 150 =154,336.....
To be honest though i am not sure how accurate these figures are...
Toyota body-on-frame SUV lineup is doing very well and is extremely healthy because platform sales are not tied up in any single market so when this market going to tank they don't tank with it.

Anybody who thinks US market sales must reflect the entire world obviously never looked at the world map ;-)
Old 04-06-15, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Great deals are out there on the GX, they sell well really because of those deals...kind of like the GS.
Old 04-06-15, 11:22 AM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you dont mind what type of % off MSRP are you getting on a 2015 GX. I am in the exact same boat, cross shopping a fully loaded Highlander also.
Old 04-06-15, 11:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't consider the gx a cuv or crossover. it's a (very) off road capable and luxurious traditional (body on frame) suv. the 3rd row in the gx is not very useful, but it sells as a refined and comfortable (first two rows ) TANK LIKE utility vehicle. it's obviously very thirsty and heavy and as the article says, govts around the world are clamping down more and more on anything they deem 'excessive' especially when it comes to fuel economy. hey i'm not knocking the gx, i almost bought one not long ago but the options and ordering rigmarole and dealer runaround drove me nuts.

the lx is an even bigger 'tank' and obviously both are AWESOME in off road situations. i've done lexus event off road courses in both - so much fun!

i could see the lc/lx and prado/gx continuing to be sold worldwide for a long while, especially where the govt car rules and taxes aren't so brutal (e.g., asia, middle east, south america, africa), although the lexus variants could die because they sell in such tiny numbers.
i never said gx is either now, did i? a 3rd row rx/tx (whatever it is) will basically be like the current es vs gx. a lot of people now get the gx for its larger size, not many people really use the true off road part. once lexus has a larger cuv or crossover with good 3rd row the gx is becoming much less attractive.

i don't see lx dying at all
Old 04-06-15, 11:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Great deals are out there on the GX, they sell well really because of those deals...kind of like the GS.
and you get people saying it's the predator grille that made the great sales numbers
Old 04-06-15, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
and you get people saying it's the predator grille that made the great sales numbers
They always had the great deals, I do think the new styling helped (it was really homely before IMHO), but without the deals it wouldn't sell as well either way.
Old 04-06-15, 11:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 1101GS
In search for my GS replacement, I narrowed down to the GX. Dealer is offering me an unbelievable deal on this. It makes me wonder why since GX has been a hot SUV since the refresh came out. I did some reading and it seems as if they may cancel this model in 2016 and introduce the TX and may do something to the LX as well. As we know this rumor has been fluctuated for a while now but recently came up again. Along with the deal they are offering, I wonder if it is coming for real. Does anyone have any insight news? I know Lexus is known to keep their secrets well as... cats hide their p**p () but some of you may know more. Thank you.
because GX was introduced in late 2009, this year it will be 6 year old vehicle...
Old 04-06-15, 11:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
are we still denying that spindle grille sells cars? Hows that even possible, with all the stats we have.

It is a fact.
Old 04-06-15, 11:59 AM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should see how much the GX sales numbers jumped up by in 2014 when they did a front end refresh. Literally the only things that changed were the front bumper and spindle grill, and LED tail lights in the rear and they boosted sales significantly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future of Lexus luxury SUV