Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports top 10 cars for making it to 200k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 03:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Based on what I've seen, I'd probably put the Toyota 4Runner and Tacoma before any of these others. It's almost routine to see them go 300K. In fact, the body and frame often deteriorates and corrodes before the drivetrain wears out.
I'm guessing with new corrosion protection that has changed (except for Nissan)

Originally Posted by T0ked
Not surprising. I buy to keep. I plan on running my FJ until the wheels fall off. Did this list surprise anyone? I think most cars can last this long now a days but I trust CR that the ones on this list will do it with the least amount of repairs and cost.
curious, how has the maintenance been on this >>>> 2007 Mercedes Benz S550, PPackage II, AMG Sport Package, 19" staggered

Last edited by bagwell; 04-07-15 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 08:37 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
.....most people don't want to drive 9 times around the equator in the same vehicle.....

This isn't necessarily so, and even if it was,, it's nice to know that u could if u wanted to without the insecurity, inconvenience and expense of breakdowns.

Last edited by Pamperme; 04-07-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-07-15, 09:51 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most people don't want to drive 9 times around the equator in the same vehicle so these ratings are pretty pointless. there's TONS of cars on the road that aren't toyotas and hondas with 200k on them. for CR to leave the ford f-150 off the list for example is beyond stupid. but to be expected.

ok CR, how about coming out with...

top 10 cars for driving across antarctica

top 10 cars with A/C cold enough to free the ***** off a brass monkey

top 10 cars for transporting 100 ferrets across country

Nothing wrong with this article except that it's missing other Toyota's and Honda's. For example, the Toyota Yaris will run to 200K with less repairs and expense than any of those. Mine has 170,000, no repairs. Pretty sure a Ford F-150 can't go to 170K with 0 repairs. F-150 shouldn't even be on a top 25 list.

The idea that people don't care about such studies is ludicrous. Many people buy cars for the long haul. Toyota doesn't sell the most cars because they are the most exciting. A majority of people are not in the position of many Club Lexus members where a new Lexus is routine. I see tons of 25+ year old Civics, Corollas, Camry's, & Accords running around. Real people need these to keep going.
Old 04-07-15, 03:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Nothing wrong with this article except that it's missing other Toyota's and Honda's. For example, the Toyota Yaris will run to 200K with less repairs and expense than any of those. Mine has 170,000, no repairs.
a yaris has nothing on it to go wrong.

Pretty sure a Ford F-150 can't go to 170K with 0 repairs. F-150 shouldn't even be on a top 25 list.
again, i don't know of anyone except maybe you that EXPECTS a car to run 7 times around the equator of the earth with 0 repairs. i assume you mean unplanned costs too because all vehicles have maintenance costs.

my explorer (i just sold with 110K mi.) has 0 unplanned repair costs. it had a couple of items under warranty (cd player wouldn't eject, not a crisis), and 1 recall in the first few months, and that was it. i did no major service except oil changes until 100k. sure that's just one data point, but again, i know tons of people with old cars other than honda/toyota that are similar in reliability.

and the f-150 is after all the highest selling vehicle in the u.s. for the past couple of decades or more so it must be pretty reliable or reliable 'enough'.

I see tons of 25+ year old Civics, Corollas, Camry's, & Accords running around. Real people need these to keep going.
25+ years, you mean from 1990 or earlier? those are pretty darned old! i also see cars even from the 90s that may still be running but they look like crap. i see lots of ls400's and acura legends around - great cars, but they look so old, fading paint, cracked trim, obviously completely lacking in today's conveniences, but yeah, they'll keep running, and running, and running...

anyway, no doubt people with no interest in vehicles or little money still need cheap transportation and there's plenty of it out there. if not, there's uber.
Old 04-08-15, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think the ratings are quite useful. Most of my friends and family are not new-car buyers. My parents own 3 vehicles that have 200,000 or more miles on them. They didn't put all the miles on them, they buy them in the 100-150,000 range. It's nice to know which ones will keep going.
while vehicles on the list may be less likely to break down, it certainly doesn't mean they won't. friend with a well taken care of '07 civic with just some 70k mi. on it just had the a/c system fail. not picking on the civic but of course it's on CR's list and generally considered extremely reliable.
Old 04-08-15, 09:34 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

My 2006 ML500 has 170K on the clock, the goal is to until it dies. I bought the car with 30k on the clock and aside from some air suspension issue the car has been pretty good to me.
Old 04-08-15, 10:21 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

my 07 accord, while mechanically great, is rusting along the wheel wells and clear coat painting on all of the bumpers. never been in any accident before, but never garaged. no doubt the car itself will make it to 300K+, but how much of it is going to be a rust bucket
Old 04-08-15, 10:57 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

while vehicles on the list may be less likely to break down, it certainly doesn't mean they won't. friend with a well taken care of '07 civic with just some 70k mi. on it just had the a/c system fail. not picking on the civic but of course it's on CR's list and generally considered extremely reliable.
Oh, I'm not too inclined to purchase any on the list. I just can't get it up for Toyota or Honda.
And when Toyotas do have a problem, my experience has been that they are a real bear to work on, and parts are pricey.

Would like to backup what you said earlier about Fords being more reliable than most people think. Our F-350 is a tank. Nothing can stop it. I've seen TONS of F-150's with 300k+ miles on them. Ford knows what they're doing.

I look forward to many more trouble free miles with my Fusion(only have 30k right now).
Old 04-10-15, 07:11 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by T0ked
Not surprising. I buy to keep. I plan on running my FJ until the wheels fall off. Did this list surprise anyone? I think most cars can last this long now a days but I trust CR that the ones on this list will do it with the least amount of repairs and cost.
I thought the FJ Cruiser was unreliable
Old 04-10-15, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I thought the FJ Cruiser was unreliable
Unreliable is one thing it was not. Under the skin, it was mechanically the same vehicle as the 4Runner.
Old 04-10-15, 07:26 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a yaris has nothing on it to go wrong.

again, i don't know of anyone except maybe you that EXPECTS a car to run 7 times around the equator of the earth with 0 repairs. i assume you mean unplanned costs too because all vehicles have maintenance costs.

my explorer (i just sold with 110K mi.) has 0 unplanned repair costs. it had a couple of items under warranty (cd player wouldn't eject, not a crisis), and 1 recall in the first few months, and that was it. i did no major service except oil changes until 100k. sure that's just one data point, but again, i know tons of people with old cars other than honda/toyota that are similar in reliability.

and the f-150 is after all the highest selling vehicle in the u.s. for the past couple of decades or more so it must be pretty reliable or reliable 'enough'.

25+ years, you mean from 1990 or earlier? those are pretty darned old! i also see cars even from the 90s that may still be running but they look like crap. i see lots of ls400's and acura legends around - great cars, but they look so old, fading paint, cracked trim, obviously completely lacking in today's conveniences, but yeah, they'll keep running, and running, and running...

anyway, no doubt people with no interest in vehicles or little money still need cheap transportation and there's plenty of it out there. if not, there's uber.
In reference to the bolded words:
Unlike ls400's, those Acura legends usually leave a trail of blue smoke behind them.
Old 04-11-15, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pamperme
In reference to the bolded words:
Unlike ls400's, those Acura legends usually leave a trail of blue smoke behind them.
but they're still running.

but that's why i think this whole CR article is just another PR stunt. they are masters of the obvious but irrelevant.
Old 04-12-15, 11:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

^^^ have you seen with the same frequency(or at all) cars like VW's or Audi's, etc. from that same era still running ? I seldom, if at all ......
Old 04-12-15, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Blue smoke usually means severely worn piston rings, valves/valve-seals, or bearings, allowing oil to get past them and be burned in the cylinders with the gasoline....meaning high oil consumption and emissions. If the smoke gets bad enough to be easily visible, it is often ruining the catalytic converter and oxygen-sensor as well.
Old 04-13-15, 05:23 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
^^^ have you seen with the same frequency(or at all) cars like VW's or Audi's, etc. from that same era still running ? I seldom, if at all ......
Nope. In fact, I saw my first 2002 Audi A6 in a very, very long time.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports top 10 cars for making it to 200k miles