Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports top 10 cars for making it to 200k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 08:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Consumer Reports top 10 cars for making it to 200k miles

All Toyota and Honda.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...haul/index.htm

Best cars for making it to 200,000 miles
10 models most likely to run for the long haul

Published: March 30, 2015 09:40 AM

Almost any car can make it to 200,000 miles if you’re willing to throw enough money at it. But that doesn’t mean that keeping it is a good idea. A less expensive and more hassle-free way to go is to simply buy a safe and reliable model in the first place, and properly maintain it for the long haul. Just follow the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual, take care of minor problems as they arise, keep it clean, and you should be good to go.

The models listed below are all safe bets. Of the 1.1 million vehicles represented in our annual subscriber survey, these are the ten cars, SUVs, and minivans respondents most often reported as having more than 200,000 miles. As a bonus, all happen to be models that were Consumer Reports recommended when new. That means they’re not just reliable, but they scored well in our road tests.

—Jim Travers

Toyota Prius
Base MSRP price range: $24,200 - $34,905

With seating for five, hatchback versatility, rock-solid reliability, and an amazing 44-mpg overall in our tests, there’s a lot to like about the Prius. That’s why it’s a top-scorer in our Ratings, and a perennial favorite in our owner satisfaction surveys. And those owners like to drive them, with more examples on the far side of 200K than any other model in our survey.

Toyota Camry
Base MSRP price range: $22,970 - $31,370

Spacious, quiet, and comfortable, the Camry is one of the most reliable sedans you can buy. It may not pack a lot of excitement, but it makes a nice place to be while the miles roll up. All powertrain choices are pretty bullet proof, but the four-cylinder Camry is the one most often past 200K, combining reliability with being the biggest selling car in America.

Photo: Honda
Honda Odyssey
Base MSRP price range: $28,975 - $44,600

If you’ve got a crowd with places to go, there’s no better bet than the Odyssey. The cavernous and versatile interior has room for up to eight passengers and a whole lot of gear, several storage cubbies, and is very child seat friendly. Comfortable on the highway, the Odyssey gets bonus points for more responsive handling than you’d expect from a minivan.

Honda Pilot
Base MSRP price range: $29,870 - $41,620

Another family favorite, the Pilot offers a spacious interior with room for eight, and the security of all-wheel drive. Second- and third-row seats fold into the floor for more cargo room, and the powertrain is as smooth as it is reliable. A redesigned Pilot arrives soon. If its track record is any indication, the new one should be up for going the distance.

Toyota Corolla
Base MSRP price range: $16,950 - $22,955

One of the longest-running nameplates in the business, the Corolla also makes an excellent choice for the long run. Its compact dimensions and good fuel economy make it an excellent choice for commuting, running errands, or road trips, and ironclad reliability means you won’t be seeing much of your mechanic.

Photo: Honda
Honda Accord sedan (4-cyl.)
Base MSRP price range: $22,105 - $35,055

A smooth, reliable powertrain and good fuel economy are good qualities in a car you’re going to keep for a while, and the Accord checks in with both. Add to that a relatively spacious, quiet interior and responsive handling, and it adds up to a winning formula for going the distance.

Honda CR-V
Base MSRP price range: $23,445 - $32,895

Combining compact exterior dimensions with a spacious interior, all-wheel-drive, decent fuel economy and an aversion to spending time in the shop or by the side of the road, the CR-V comes close to universal appeal. Lots of our readers like them enough to really rack up the miles.

Toyota Sienna
Base MSRP price range: $28,600 - $46,150

A traveling companion you can really rely on, the Sienna has plenty of room for families and cargo, and the ride is comfortable and composed. The engine is strong and smooth, and fuel economy is decent for its size. The Sienna is also the only minivan available with all-wheel-drive.

Toyota Highlander (V6)
Base MSRP price range: $29,665 - $50,240

Another popular choice with families, the Highlander offers a comfortable ride, quiet, roomy, and well-finished cabin, and a smooth powertrain that’s good for many miles of hassle-free driving. With virtues like that, it’s no wonder the Highlander has long been one of our top-Rated midsized SUVs. The Hybrid version gets you even further on a tank of gas.

Honda Civic (non-hybrid)
Base MSRP price range: $18,290 - $29,390

Like a good citizen, the compact Civic sedan goes about its business without complaint, rolling up the miles and staying out of trouble. A reliability champ, the Civic is also easy on gas and more fun to drive than some competitors. Stick with the basic gas four-cylinder for better reliability than the hybrid which had high incidence of hybrid battery problems with some model years.
Old 04-05-15, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Based on what I've seen, I'd probably put the Toyota 4Runner and Tacoma before any of these others. It's almost routine to see them go 300K. In fact, the body and frame often deteriorates and corrodes before the drivetrain wears out.
Old 04-05-15, 11:53 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Based on what I've seen, I'd probably put the Toyota 4Runner and Tacoma before any of these others. It's almost routine to see them go 300K. In fact, the body and frame often deteriorates and corrodes before the drivetrain wears out.
I agree when I look at consumer reports reliability charts over the years all u see is nothing but full red circles for almost every category. Same is true for the ls400/430 too.
Old 04-05-15, 12:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Where are all the GM cars?
Old 04-05-15, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It will also be interesting to see what this list looks like in a couple of years. A vehicle obviously cannot earn a spot in it overnight. There are a number of fairly new or all-vehicles on the road now that, quality-wise, are head-and-shoulders above their poorly-done predecessors, but simply don't have enough miles on them yet to officially qualify for the list. One doesn't usually put 200,000 miles on a car in just a couple of years....but as time and miles accumulate, we'll see if any others join this list (or change it) in a few more years. I wouldn't be surprised, for example, to see some newer Ford F-150 models on the list soon (if they include full-size pickups, which is unclear)....many of their owners tend to load the miles on them, and the truck has an excellent reputation.
Old 04-05-15, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

5 Honda
5 Toyota
Old 04-05-15, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

most people don't want to drive 9 times around the equator in the same vehicle so these ratings are pretty pointless. there's TONS of cars on the road that aren't toyotas and hondas with 200k on them. for CR to leave the ford f-150 off the list for example is beyond stupid. but to be expected.

ok CR, how about coming out with...

top 10 cars for driving across antarctica

top 10 cars with A/C cold enough to free the ***** off a brass monkey

top 10 cars for transporting 100 ferrets across country

Old 04-05-15, 06:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
most people don't want to drive 9 times around the equator in the same vehicle so these ratings are pretty pointless. there's TONS of cars on the road that aren't toyotas and hondas with 200k on them. for CR to leave the ford f-150 off the list for example is beyond stupid. but to be expected.
I read the purpose of the article as these vehicles are the vehicles that can take you to 200,000 miles with the lowest cost.

I'm sure there are cars that can make it to 200,000 easily as are reliable but perhaps the cost for parts are more expensive.
Old 04-05-15, 07:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I'll settle for 50,000 miles because I don't want any of them.
Old 04-05-15, 07:34 PM
lsiberian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone loves Toyota and Honda.
Old 04-05-15, 07:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

ok CR, how about coming out with...

top 10 cars for driving across antarctica

top 10 cars with A/C cold enough to free the ***** off a brass monkey

top 10 cars for transporting 100 ferrets across country

I think the ratings are quite useful. Most of my friends and family are not new-car buyers. My parents own 3 vehicles that have 200,000 or more miles on them. They didn't put all the miles on them, they buy them in the 100-150,000 range. It's nice to know which ones will keep going.
Old 04-05-15, 08:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This has been true for Toyota and Lexus for as long as I can remember. People often comment about all the rusty Toyota's driving around but it's because the mechanicals don't want to give up the ghost. Most other cars died and went to the crusher long before the body started to biodegrade.
Old 04-06-15, 12:34 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A non-surprising report. This has been the case for decades. And as they stated, these vehicles would be the least likely to cost the owner in repair bills. Just about any other vehicle would reach the same mileage, but with projected higher repair costs (perhaps fuel was factored in too).
I really enjoy getting my CR book each year and seeing which model gets the perfect all-red circle report for the latest model year. Lately it's been the CRV and I believe the ES350 made it too.
Old 04-06-15, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A non-surprising report. This has been the case for decades. And as they stated, these vehicles would be the least likely to cost the owner in repair bills. Just about any other vehicle would reach the same mileage, but with projected higher repair costs (perhaps fuel was factored in too).
I really enjoy getting my CR book each year and seeing which model gets the perfect all-red circle report for the latest model year. Lately it's been the CRV and I believe the ES350 made it too.
The way CR sets up its data base, it's not just the total number of red or half red circles for any particular vehicle, but where those circles are concentrated, what repairs they cover, how serious the trouble was considered in each category, and how much of that trouble affected the engine, transmission, and drive line.....traditionally the most expensive and involved areas for repair or replacement.
Old 04-06-15, 07:54 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not surprising. I buy to keep. I plan on running my FJ until the wheels fall off. Did this list surprise anyone? I think most cars can last this long now a days but I trust CR that the ones on this list will do it with the least amount of repairs and cost.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports top 10 cars for making it to 200k miles