Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus luxury SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Default Autoblog: Lexus GX and LX future may be in doubt

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/02/l...ain-exclusive/

Lexus GX and LX future may be in doubt
Tightening Regulations Threaten Traditional SUVs

Image Credit: Copyright 2013 Jeffrey N. Ross / AOL

Michael Austin

With the debut of an all-new RX, Lexus is in a position for continued strong sales in the luxury SUV arena. The fourth-generation RX has grown, making room for the new NX model beneath it. But further up the ladder, things could change for the GX and LX.

In an interview with Autoblog at the 2015 New York Auto Show, Lexus executive vice president Mark Templin gave some hints at the future of his brand's SUV lineup. "With NX and RX, we have a really good one-two punch in the crossover segments, and we think we can cover most of the markets with that," he said.

As for the larger, three-row GX and LX models, which are built on a traditional ladder-frame chassis, things aren't so clear. Templin noted the the success of both models all over the world – the LX is the best-selling Lexus in Saudi Arabia. The same is true for sales here, he said: "We do very well with those products in the United States – GX has been a great product for us in the US for the last couple of years since its initial introduction. But the future of those vehicles longer term is in doubt because of regulations that are being driven by governments all over the world."

Don't start stockpiling LX 570s in anticipation of shortages just yet. Templin didn't give any specifics; he just notes that tightening fuel economy and emissions regulations could affect product planning. In our analysis, if and when GX rides off into the sunset, Lexus still needs a midsize, three-row SUV to fill that gap. The most likely candidate for that is some variation on the RX.

Whether or not that's the case, don't expect a BMW-like proliferation of body styles from Toyota's luxury division. "It creates problems. It creates complexity, that's hard for every step of the process," Templin said, nothing that too many models stresses the design department, manufacturing, and even dealers inventory selection.

As for the bottom end of the lineup, Templin wouldn't comment on a compact SUV below the NX, saying "I think there are more potential options for us in the future, but we're not trying to grow the number of models we have in our lineup. It's not really what our core business is about." For now, Lexus and Templin are focused on launching the RX, which accounts for three of every 10 Lexus models ever sold. The 2016 model, available in RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid versions, goes on sale by the end of the year.
Old 04-03-15, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Templin noted the the success of both models all over the world – the LX is the best-selling Lexus in Saudi Arabia. The same is true for sales here, he said:

The very low price of gas in Saudi Arabia probably plays a major role in LX sales.....plus some other factors, such a society with a good number of buyers that can afford expensive vehicles and the excellent off-road/desert capability of the LX (right a home in the Saudi desert).

This is just an idle guess on my part (and not necessarily fact), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them replace both the LX and GX with just one new truck-based (ladder-frame) SUV somewhere between the two in size and price. That would cover the need to have a true off-road SUV without the added expense and complexity of offering two of them at once.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 03:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it would be stupid if they take both GX and LX out. the NX and RX are for mainstream, but they can't do what the GX and LX can
Old 04-03-15, 03:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Never underestimate the short-sightedness of some marketers.
i didn't say they should continue to offer both. if they make the RX large enough to have decent 3rd row, or they have whatever the TX or so to fill that gap, i have no problem with LX being the true ultimate luxury off-road SUV. every brand out there has a "capable" SUV, so lexus has to too.

but your suggestion of having one that's sized between the two is not going to happen. toyota is not going to waste resources to design yet another car in between the two just for the US market, doesn't make sense. the LC/LX and Prado/GX is a very global lineup and volume wise, honestly, the US is very small on that.
Old 04-03-15, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

but your suggestion of having one that's sized between the two is not going to happen. toyota is not going to waste resources to design yet another car in between the two just for the US market, doesn't make sense. the LC/LX and Prado/GX is a very global lineup and volume wise, honestly, the US is very small on that.
The way I read the article (and yes, I might have misunderstood it)....he mentioned problems and pressure from governments all over the world, not just the U.S. market.

But the future of those vehicles longer term is in doubt because of regulations that are being driven by governments all over the world."
Old 04-03-15, 04:34 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Page Coverage

here's my front page take on it...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/c...xus-gx-and-lx/
Old 04-03-15, 04:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

it would be stupid if they take both GX and LX out. the NX and RX are for mainstream, but they can't do what the GX and LX can
agree but i can see them combining into one model.
Old 04-03-15, 05:40 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

They could make Lexified Sequoia to replace the LX. I'm glad they're not having new models pop up like mushrooms, a la Mercedes and BMW. Just because there are seven digits between 1-7 doesn't mean you have to use them all and add X's and Z's too. And how could a sane person come up with G, GL, GLK and GLA to describe totally different vehicles?
Old 04-03-15, 06:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
They could make Lexified Sequoia to replace the LX. I'm glad they're not having new models pop up like mushrooms, a la Mercedes and BMW. Just because there are seven digits between 1-7 doesn't mean you have to use them all and add X's and Z's too. And how could a sane person come up with G, GL, GLK and GLA to describe totally different vehicles?
The Lexus LX will not be phased out, CAFE rules will just limit how many actual LX models get imported into North America. The GX will definitely get changed into a V6 and hybrid model that will be very similar to the GL from Merc. Toyota Sequoia will also be GX based.
Old 04-03-15, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The way I read the article (and yes, I might have misunderstood it)....he mentioned problems and pressure from governments all over the world, not just the U.S. market.
and the equation is not that simple. it has to do with the whole lineup across the company, and to do with the number of each model too.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agree but i can see them combining into one model.
like i said i think that's a very nice alternative once they figure out a good cuv / crossover with decent 3rd row. lexus is doing that with the gx now.
Old 04-03-15, 09:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

like i said i think that's a very nice alternative once they figure out a good cuv / crossover with decent 3rd row. lexus is doing that with the gx now.
i don't consider the gx a cuv or crossover. it's a (very) off road capable and luxurious traditional (body on frame) suv. the 3rd row in the gx is not very useful, but it sells as a refined and comfortable (first two rows ) TANK LIKE utility vehicle. it's obviously very thirsty and heavy and as the article says, govts around the world are clamping down more and more on anything they deem 'excessive' especially when it comes to fuel economy. hey i'm not knocking the gx, i almost bought one not long ago but the options and ordering rigmarole and dealer runaround drove me nuts.

the lx is an even bigger 'tank' and obviously both are AWESOME in off road situations. i've done lexus event off road courses in both - so much fun!

i could see the lc/lx and prado/gx continuing to be sold worldwide for a long while, especially where the govt car rules and taxes aren't so brutal (e.g., asia, middle east, south america, africa), although the lexus variants could die because they sell in such tiny numbers.
Old 04-03-15, 10:08 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought that the next gen LS was going to share a platform with a future large crossover.

The GX is a weird car, it really only seems to appeal to women who drink clear alcohol and men who think that the RX is for women who drink clear alcohol.

Obviously there's a place for the LX. At least for a while yet. Most government rules are basically, 'you can have large luxury SUVs but you gotta pay for it.' And in the US especially, it's easy for Toyota to sell 10k LX570s a year when they sell a million Camrys, Corollas, and Priui.
Old 04-03-15, 10:47 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way will they discontinue the LX. It is so popular in the Middle East, specifically the GCC. For example where i live you can stop at a red light and out of 10 cars, 4 would be LX 570's, easily. As far as i am aware, world wide the LX outsells the LS and the LX really has only received minor changes since it was unveiled 8 years ago at the New York motor show...so i would imagine once they redesign it sales will increase even more.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 04-03-15 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 11:02 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

they should get rid of GX now that the new RX can be had with 3 row seating. trust me, no one's using the current GX for offroading anyway. but i do think they should keep the LX because there's still a royal following for the LX and its Landcruiser root.
Old 04-03-15, 11:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i could see the lc/lx and prado/gx continuing to be sold worldwide for a long while, especially where the govt car rules and taxes aren't so brutal (e.g., asia, middle east, south america, africa), although the lexus variants could die because they sell in such tiny numbers.
The Lexus variant of the LX will not die. The GX is gone from the body on frame set up currently for the next go around. The LX on the other hand has very high satisfaction levels for Lexus customers and the profit margins are way too big to cancel the LX.

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus luxury SUV