Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 02:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Peteharvey - thanks a lot for the work.

I feel pretty confident that Lexus will keep doing different grilles for different vehicles... They all look similar but at the same time, each car gets something unique... like new 6.5ES front lights.
Old 04-15-15, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by markneups
Sorry but you get a better overall experience with a 35K GM or Ford product.
In several cases, that's true......but you don't necessarily get a better experience with a 50K or higher GM product. Lexus may have cheapened the ES and IS over the years, but it still does a pretty good job on the GS and (especially) the LS.
Old 04-15-15, 09:47 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would not buy a GM over a luxury japanese sedan, wait is cadillac GM?

i have often asked my friends and co-workers what type of american car they would pick if there were no japanese cars/trucks available at all,, i know hypothetically. my answer is a cadillac, what say you¿
Old 04-15-15, 11:57 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
wow, you cant really make these things up, can you? Congrats.
He's willing to say anything to make his point. I wonder when grandma is getting thrown under the bus.
Old 04-16-15, 04:51 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It depends on the model. I think the 4GS is a big improvement over the 3GS, I think the refreshed LS is a huge improvement over the pre-refreshed LS460 in that same department. ES I agree material quality isn't as good as it was. The new RX looks to be a big improvement in interior material and product quality regardless of what your opinion is on styling.

"Horrid"? I think thats a little extreme. You hate the new styling, thats obvious. I think you're letting your vitriol over the styling impact your opinions on the quality of the product overall.
I know I do have opinions. I can't shed any light on the GS or LS. I have never considered one and never even looked at either. The 2015 RX450h is my current vehicle and I love everything about it. The total package from style to fit and finish is why this is my second RX. As far a quality interior--- I have seldom seen any vehicle that I like better in this price range of high $50's. Lexus RX style and quality went out with a Big Bang with this last current style --2015-- the 2016 style and quality and in my opinion poor, cheap quality-- is why I'm glad I bought the 2015. I can honestly tell you I would never look at the 2016 as something I would want. Style--no like--- quality-- cheap plastic wheel inserts,harder uncomfortable seats,way to busy "for my taste anyway-- interior and the close resemblance to the Rav 4 and equally unattractive NX. I will be driving my 2015 for quite awhile unless Lexus comes to its senses or I decide to look elsewhere.
Old 04-16-15, 05:49 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I know I do have opinions. I can't shed any light on the GS or LS. I have never considered one and never even looked at either. The 2015 RX450h is my current vehicle and I love everything about it. The total package from style to fit and finish is why this is my second RX. As far a quality interior--- I have seldom seen any vehicle that I like better in this price range of high $50's. Lexus RX style and quality went out with a Big Bang with this last current style --2015-- the 2016 style and quality and in my opinion poor, cheap quality-- is why I'm glad I bought the 2015. I can honestly tell you I would never look at the 2016 as something I would want. Style--no like--- quality-- cheap plastic wheel inserts,harder uncomfortable seats,way to busy "for my taste anyway-- interior and the close resemblance to the Rav 4 and equally unattractive NX. I will be driving my 2015 for quite awhile unless Lexus comes to its senses or I decide to look elsewhere.

You certainly have strong opinions about the 2016 RX. Have you driven one or at least spent some significant amount of time sitting in one and poking around in it?

If not, tell me how you can rate the 2016 RX as the worst thing yet just by looking at grainy autoshow photos?
Old 04-16-15, 06:13 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In several cases, that's true......but you don't necessarily get a better experience with a 50K or higher GM product. Lexus may have cheapened the ES and IS over the years, but it still does a pretty good job on the GS and (especially) the LS.
not really sure how they cheapened the IS over the years as far as material quality is conerned. Sitting in a 2 IS vs a 3 IS is night and day. I can maybe agree with not allowing certain options in the F-sport such as cooled seats and heated steering wheel, but overall the 3IS is the best IS ever so far. I might agree that the 3rd gen RX isn't much better quality than a 2nd gen RX.

I can't speak for the ES since i've only sat in them in passing.
Old 04-16-15, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
not really sure how they cheapened the IS over the years as far as material quality is conerned. Sitting in a 2 IS vs a 3 IS is night and day. I can maybe agree with not allowing certain options in the F-sport such as cooled seats and heated steering wheel, but overall the 3IS is the best IS ever so far. I might agree that the 3rd gen RX isn't much better quality than a 2nd gen RX.
While the 3IS is not a bad car overall by any means (actually pretty decent in some areas like powertrain refinement), what I was referring to was less of a feeling of solidity of sheet metal, hardware, trim, etc....between the 2 and 3Gen,and, at least IMO, a general cheapening of the look and feel of the interior trim. Between the 1 Gen model (which I owned) and the 2Gen, there was improvement in some areas and deterioration in others.
Old 04-16-15, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The 2015 RX450h is my current vehicle and I love everything about it. The total package from style to fit and finish is why this is my second RX. As far a quality interior--- I have seldom seen any vehicle that I like better in this price range of high $50's.
IMHO the current RX interior is terrible from a quality perspective. I've had them as loaners, and considered them before we got our Jeeps. Hard plastic everywhere, most notably on the center console and my hands and fingernails grate over it when I'm using the shifter, etc, terrible. IMHO the 2013-2015 ES has a nicer interior. I'm not being mean, thats 100% how I feel. The Highlander has a much better quality interior than the 2010-2015 RX.

I can't shed any light on the GS or LS. I have never considered one and never even looked at either.
Then now can you make blanket statements about Lexus quality from one model?

,harder uncomfortable seats.
There goes all your credibility LOL. Nobody has sat in the new RX's seats, certainly not you as you're not a member of the automotive press. Yet, you say the seats are harder and uncomfortable.

You're looking for reasons not to like it.

I get it, you like your 2015. Go post in the 2015 forums and stop harassing everybody who is trying to talk about the 2016

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-16-15 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-16-15, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The 2015 RX450h is my current vehicle and I love everything about it. The total package from style to fit and finish is why this is my second RX. As far a quality interior--- I have seldom seen any vehicle that I like better in this price range of high $50's.
of course style is personal, but a 2015 rx interior imo doesn't hold a candle to my 2015 jeep grand cherokee summit interior.
http://www.jeep.com/en/grand-cherokee/interior/

the 2016 style and quality and in my opinion poor, cheap quality--
what do you base this on?
Old 04-16-15, 10:15 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe you can "blame" Lexus for the perceived quality reductions, and so of it could be valid, but I'm a firm believer that they are falling victim (like many car makers) of the excessive government intervention in the automotive industry. The overbuilding/engineering (whatever you want to call it) we saw in the 90's and early 2000's will never happen again as long as we have all the restrictions on the auto industry that the US government is forcing (not the consumer - the government). It is more expensive to build cars to meet the stiffer regulations, and as a result Toyota has to cheapen/lighten in other areas to compensate.

Toyota/Lexus didn't get to the top of the vehicular food chain because it was the most luxurious vehicle available, or the sexiest. It got here because of the quality, affordability and reliability legacy that resulted in cars that had more strength and durability than most of its competitors. Resale values were incredible, so the "investment" in a Toyota/Lexus was a safe choice for most folks. Unfortunately, they cannot follow their own legacy because the government feels like it should micromanage the industry rather than letter the people drive the direction.
Old 04-16-15, 11:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacket
Maybe you can "blame" Lexus for the perceived quality reductions, and so of it could be valid, but I'm a firm believer that they are falling victim (like many car makers) of the excessive government intervention in the automotive industry. The overbuilding/engineering (whatever you want to call it) we saw in the 90's and early 2000's will never happen again as long as we have all the restrictions on the auto industry that the US government is forcing (not the consumer - the government). It is more expensive to build cars to meet the stiffer regulations, and as a result Toyota has to cheapen/lighten in other areas to compensate.

Toyota/Lexus didn't get to the top of the vehicular food chain because it was the most luxurious vehicle available, or the sexiest. It got here because of the quality, affordability and reliability legacy that resulted in cars that had more strength and durability than most of its competitors. Resale values were incredible, so the "investment" in a Toyota/Lexus was a safe choice for most folks. Unfortunately, they cannot follow their own legacy because the government feels like it should micromanage the industry rather than letter the people drive the direction.
your post is 10 years late, thats when lighter/cheaper interiors started... now with new RX, it is moving to much much nicer materials and build, something that RX never had before.
Old 04-16-15, 11:37 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Three posts prior to yours, the RX interior got a completely opposite review.
Old 04-16-15, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacket
Three posts prior to yours, the RX interior got a completely opposite review.
By someone who has never seen it or sat in it LOL

You have to consider the source. No review of the 4RX discusses low quality interior issues.
Old 04-16-15, 12:18 PM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
You certainly have strong opinions about the 2016 RX. Have you driven one or at least spent some significant amount of time sitting in one and poking around in it?

If not, tell me how you can rate the 2016 RX as the worst thing yet just by looking at grainy autoshow photos?
Yes you could be correct. I might be premature. From what I have been told the NX is just a smaller version of the new RX. Photos would back me up on that. Friends from Singapore also sent me videos of the new RX weeks before it was introduced here. They pretty much were my eyes and ears. Let me tell you--- this vehicle is going over like a lead balloon overseas. Rumor has it the vehicle could possibly be changed to a less dramatic posture before they are released. But--- just rumor from Singapore. I don't think that will happen so soon. Possibly mid year though.

Quick Reply: The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?