Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?

Old 04-14-15, 01:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Evolution of the Luxury Spindle Grill:

2012 4GS Luxury Grill: colored bumper with horizontal upper and lower grills, with limited chrome trim.

2013 6ES Luxury Grill: wide mouth colored bumper with horizontal upper and lower grills, but extended chrome surround.

2013 3IS Luxury Grill: wide mouth, but blacked out bumper with horizontal upper, and recessed honeycomb lower grill, with extended chrome surround.

2014 1RC Luxury Grill: also wide mouth blacked out bumper, but vertical upper and recessed honeycomb lower grill, but full chrome surround.

2015 4RX Luxury Grill: wide mouth, but full horizontal grill [no bumper at all], and full chrome surround.

2015 Facelifted 6.5ES: also wide mouthed, full horizontal grill [no bumper at all], with full chrome surround.

Do you think the facelifted 2015 4.5GS Luxury due September will use the wide mouthed full horizontal grill with no bumper at all like the all new 4RX and facelifted 6.5ES?
Or do you think the facelifted 2015 4.5GS Luxury due September will use a wide mouthed vertical upper and honeycombed lower grill with blacked out bumper and full chrome surround like the 2014 RC Coupe?

I suspect they may follow the new 4RX and facelifted 6.5ES Luxuries, and use the wide mouthed full horizontal grill will full chrome surround, to delete the blacked out bumper altogether...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-14-15 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 02:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^ I never liked the blacked out non-painted horizontal bar on any Lexus spindle grille, if that's the case, good riddance
Old 04-14-15, 02:16 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
^^^ I never liked the blacked out non-painted horizontal bar on any Lexus spindle grille, if that's the case, good riddance
I find that the 2013 3IS and 2014 1RC's blacked out bumper, with horizontal/vertical upper grill, is a mismatch with the recessed lower honeycomb grill.

The 2015 4RX and 6.5ES full horizontal grills [with no bumper at all], is a step in the right direction.

I suspect it was too difficult to evolve the vertical bar design of the RC Coupe, because the vertical bar design of the upper inverted trapezia could not be integrated with the vertical bar design of the lower trapezia?

Despite the complex six-sided polygonal shape of the spindle grill, I think it is still possible to do a single one-piece full vertical bar grill [with no blacked out bumper in between]; I can picture it in my mind, but I'm to lazy to use Adobe Illustrator to draw it for everyone.
On text, it would look like the greater than and less than signs: " >>><<< ".

May be the all new next generation 5LS of 2017, and 5GS of 2019 should be the first to get this grande luxury full vertical bar grill design?
_

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-14-15 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 02:56 PM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You should purchase whatever car is best for you, and if Lexus doesn't do it for you anymore, then you should find a car that works for you. However, claiming that Lexus quality is down because you "feel" it that is the case is not an objective standard that anyone can measure.
Pleaseeeeeeeee---- your in denial if you think Lexus build style,quality and value are as they were two years ago and your sticking your head in the sand. The EX is horrid. Not even close to the 2013. The yen drops and price cuts for every area of production are the norm. Sorry the truth hurts--- this car is horrid. Your going to see the sales slide soon.
Old 04-14-15, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by markneups
Pleaseeeeeeeee---- your in denial if you think Lexus build style,quality and value are as they were two years ago and your sticking your head in the sand. The EX is horrid. Not even close to the 2013. The yen drops and price cuts for every area of production are the norm. Sorry the truth hurts--- this car is horrid. Your going to see the sales slide soon.
It depends on the model. I think the 4GS is a big improvement over the 3GS, I think the refreshed LS is a huge improvement over the pre-refreshed LS460 in that same department. ES I agree material quality isn't as good as it was. The new RX looks to be a big improvement in interior material and product quality regardless of what your opinion is on styling.

"Horrid"? I think thats a little extreme. You hate the new styling, thats obvious. I think you're letting your vitriol over the styling impact your opinions on the quality of the product overall.
Old 04-14-15, 04:44 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks peteharvey for compiling and sharing that. i thought the other day to myself that if they keep up with widening the grill soon there will be no bumper and it will all be grill little did i know that day is already upon us. wow. i don't even know what to say about that.

none of those front ends look right to me, proportionally, flow wise, it just doesn't match the rest of the car. i am so glad for companies that are making different body kits to change out the front bumper and grill, but what can you do if the car doesn't even have a bumper to change?

it looks like the ones without front bumpers have like two front fender pieces. maybe you could delete one of the front fenders and add a bumper.
Old 04-14-15, 04:46 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i found a leaked image of the 2022 lex ES
Old 04-14-15, 07:10 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
thanks peteharvey for compiling and sharing that. i thought the other day to myself that if they keep up with widening the grill soon there will be no bumper and it will all be grill little did i know that day is already upon us. wow. i don't even know what to say about that.

none of those front ends look right to me, proportionally, flow wise, it just doesn't match the rest of the car. i am so glad for companies that are making different body kits to change out the front bumper and grill, but what can you do if the car doesn't even have a bumper to change?

it looks like the ones without front bumpers have like two front fender pieces. maybe you could delete one of the front fenders and add a bumper.
The only thing to say about it is "no more rock chips in the front".
Attached Thumbnails The &quot;New&quot; Lexus : are you no longer its target market?-rock-chips.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 04-14-15 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 07:46 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Peteharvey, thanks for the compilation, now I realize why the GS and ES in lighter colors look awkward from the front - that body color bumper strip doesn't match the chrome horizontal top grille or the black bottom honeycomb. The IS blacked-out bumper looks good but I think the new RX and face lifted ES look stunning with the all-black grille, especially in wavy honeycomb F-sport form.

I just might take a can of Plastidip and black out the top and bottom grille and the bumper strip on my ES...
Old 04-14-15, 07:51 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah

i found a leaked image of the 2022 lex ES
I'd buy one! No...really!
Old 04-14-15, 08:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chromedome
Peteharvey, thanks for the compilation, now I realize why the GS and ES in lighter colors look awkward from the front - that body color bumper strip doesn't match the chrome horizontal top grille or the black bottom honeycomb. The IS blacked-out bumper looks good but I think the new RX and face lifted ES look stunning with the all-black grille, especially in wavy honeycomb F-sport form.

I just might take a can of Plastidip and black out the top and bottom grille and the bumper strip on my ES...
The color-coded 4GS & 6ES bumpers look really nice whether it is aftermarket blacked-out in matt black, or glossy black.
The 6ES probably needs the front bumper blacked-out more, because the 6ES has an "extended" chrome trim that splits the color-coded bumper into three lateral segments: left, center, and right.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-14-15 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Change is inevitable. Change is constant.

And it seems that Lexus from 10 and 20 years ago is no longer the same Lexus that we see today.
You probably wish that Lexus did motorcycles, don't you?
Old 04-15-15, 04:57 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It depends on the model. I think the 4GS is a big improvement over the 3GS, I think the refreshed LS is a huge improvement over the pre-refreshed LS460 in that same department. ES I agree material quality isn't as good as it was. The new RX looks to be a big improvement in interior material and product quality regardless of what your opinion is on styling.

"Horrid"? I think thats a little extreme. You hate the new styling, thats obvious. I think you're letting your vitriol over the styling impact your opinions on the quality of the product overall.
No not really. The quality has fallen for the last two years. The ride,interior layout,materials,placement,overall design and that feeling of excitement on what your shelling out 45k for. Sorry but you get a better overall experience with a 35k GM or Ford product. Lexus IS no longer the manufacturer that sets the bar--- cheap is cheap and that's the direction they choose to take.
Old 04-15-15, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

No not really. The quality has fallen for the last two years. The ride,interior layout,materials,placement,overall design and that feeling of excitement on what your shelling out 45k for. Sorry but you get a better overall experience with a 35k GM or Ford product. Lexus IS no longer the manufacturer that sets the bar--- cheap is cheap and that's the direction they choose to take.
LOL, okay. I've owned 5 Lexus models spanning the past 15 years. I'd say I have a pretty good experience of how quality has changed over that time. My 2010 ES had interior quality issues my 2003 ES did not have, and the 2013-2015 ES is a step down from even that 2010 ES I agree, but my 2013 GS is every bit as well built and as high quality as our 1998 or 2004 LS sedans were, and is a big step up from the 3GS model it replaced which I also extensively shopped for in 2010.

So like I said, it depends on the model.
Old 04-15-15, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

wow, you cant really make these things up, can you? Congrats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?