Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 04:04 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
exactly ^ ^ ^

can you break it down using different adjectives? we can all say and agree that the new design is aggressive and edgy. futuristic is debatable. and to me any car that is trying to cover up for its short commings by trying extra hard to make it appear fast is just plain ricer-esq.
Uh, how about the fact that design and looks are subjective? Can you accept that reality without clearly drawing lines of who is and isn't in either camps of pre and post spindle RX?

A horrible argument is a horrible argument, you obviously made a mistake painting yourself in a corner as an angelic and classy person simply because you have a subjective opinion on design and anybody who disagrees with you lovers futuristic ricer design. Just let it die.

You love to make bold claims but I don't think there is actually any substance behind it.

For example,

What short-comings is the RX exactly trying to cover up with looks?

Poor sales? it obviously isn't that. Try again
Old 04-08-15, 04:28 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wsan't even referring to the RX, not sure when this entire thread went that direction but that wasn't the model i was thinking about when writing my piece.

i used to really like the RX and tried for a couple years to convince my wife that the RX 330 should replace her previous car when it was in its first couple years of production, but she wouldn't give me the green light.

i was referring to the entire line of cars lex produces nowadays. how they all are starting to look like they are moving really fast when just sitting still, especially the new RC. but that new RX looks awfully aggressive as well...

to me lex is starting to get like starbucks. they are just selling more (bolder) coffee, not better coffee...

i do love that angelic comment though. that takes classy to a whole new level right there

not to say that someone can't be angelic and love the new spindle cars, just that they are not classy anymore. however the question i do have is if classy and boring have to go together, or can you have classy and aggressive in the same description??? the new maserati ghibli is one particular vehicle that i can say is modern, a little aggressivee, and still maintaining that classy appeal. but the quattroporte is more on the classy side a little less aggressive. so i really think it is hard to have both classy and aggressive together. seems like it is one or the other or a little of both.

Last edited by sojah; 04-08-15 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 10:55 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's awesome that a '92 sc400 for example still runs well, but if you compare that interior to ANY new lexus, well, it just doesn't compare.
The Original SC interior was one of the best ever made! The ergonomics were unparalleled and the bird's eye maple was stunning the way it wrapped around the cabin. The back seat was even useable. The seats back then were so much more comfortable than now too...cushy and no pressure points all over before they started in with all the ventilation in seats.
Old 04-09-15, 05:56 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Some people want Lexus to continue making Japanese Cadillacs and Lincolns. Most of us don't. I find current Lexus cabins outstanding in their design and the aggressive exteriors look good even standing still. Put the NX next to an X3 or Q5 or even an Evoque, the NX looks better. Put an RX next to an X5, Range Sport or Cayenne, the RX stands out. There was a time you couldn't tell a Lexus from a bar of soap... I'm glad those times are gone.
Old 04-09-15, 07:52 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
We will see who is right. They said the same thing about the 3IS and it handily outsold the 2IS. Now everyone got used to the predator face, people love it. If everyone shared your opinion, the 3IS would have sold badly and Lexus would probably have gone another direction.

The "told you so" conversation can be had in a year after we see the sales.
I think some of the younger set will really love it. That's the way it should be. But the middle and older crowd -- in my opinion-- will not. That in turn is going to hurt sales. Your right--- wait and see. Told you so --- Yepppppppppppp. One other thing--- that grill is a fad. It will die a fast death.,just like fin's of the late 50's and early 60's. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 04-09-15, 07:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the average age of lexus owner is falling which means more young people are buying it. Before the average age was pretty up there. Young people dont want bland appliance-mobiles.
Old 04-09-15, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by markneups
One other thing--- that grill is a fad. It will die a fast death.,just like fin's of the late 50's and early 60's. Gone but not forgotten.
Audi is going on 15 years with their grill. BMW's dual kidney grills have been around since 1933...Mercedes' shield grille has been around about that long. Jeep's 7 bar grille has been around since the 1940s.

Pretty long fads. The implementation of the grill will change with trends and styling fads, but Lexus is saying its going to use the spindle grill as a design feature for their cars...forever.
Old 04-09-15, 09:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
As polarizing as the new grill design is, these are going to sell like hotcakes.
yup.

I despised the original implementation of the spindle grill because it was tacked on. Aggressive nose, same old plain jane body. Now that the rest of the lines of the entire car channel the aggressive grill, the cars look much better over all. Still not my cup of tea but much better and sales numbers reflect it.
agreed on all.

the new rc makes me think of a fat man wearing a track suit and some new running shoes, and we all know that guy is not about to sprint anywhere
omg LOL the rc-f though is definitely fast, but still looking like a line backer in the track suit.

however the question i do have is if classy and boring have to go together, or can you have classy and aggressive in the same description???
it will always be subjective, but generally, bold 'unusual' styles will be polarizing. i remember when the 'bangle butt' bmws came out and talk about polarizing. those (from that time) still look ugly (to me) today but they still sold well. bmw subsequently toned it down and down, but evolved the 'high butt' into the 'x' even numbered models (which imo are hideous ).

bentley is an example to me of aggressive in a subtle way, but extremely classy.

aston martin has had some stunning designs that to most are classy and sporty/aggressive.

some designs though seem to just scream "look at me PLEASE" like lipstick on a pig. it seems lexus insists on showing WHITE new models with the gigantic BLACK front nose grill which to me looks awful. but again, they WILL sell, and my opinion is irrelevant. in this 'selfie' world, many agree with the "look at me PLEASE" sentiment.

Originally Posted by chromedome
Put the NX next to an X3 or Q5 or even an Evoque, the NX looks better. Put an RX next to an X5, Range Sport or Cayenne, the RX stands out. There was a time you couldn't tell a Lexus from a bar of soap... I'm glad those times are gone.
subjective comparisons but agree on last sentence.
Old 04-09-15, 09:17 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read this entire thread in about 40 min or so. What I got out of this that I didn't like is that all the new car companies are cutting corners and no one is making a high quality car? I have a 3GS and I don't want my leather to crack like it is doing now. I want a car with a good interior. So you are saying that doesn't exist any more, on any car?
Old 04-09-15, 09:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
I have read this entire thread in about 40 min or so. What I got out of this that I didn't like is that all the new car companies are cutting corners and no one is making a high quality car? I have a 3GS and I don't want my leather to crack like it is doing now. I want a car with a good interior. So you are saying that doesn't exist any more, on any car?
I have a 3GS and my leather hasn't cracked, maybe you're just not taking care of it properly but cracking leather is quite common and not indicative of cutting corners. So what does that have to do with the RX?
Old 04-10-15, 11:14 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

It's funny; with the release of each new Lexus model, I dislike them at first, but warm up to the idea after a little while. As time passes, I'm falling for the newest generation GS more and more; I just wish they would update the 2GR. The Lexus of yesteryear still has my heart, and fortunately they can run laps around the moon, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of these newer models will be sitting in the stable next to my 1998 GS sooner than later.
Old 04-10-15, 08:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
It's funny; with the release of each new Lexus model, I dislike them at first, but warm up to the idea after a little while. As time passes, I'm falling for the newest generation GS more and more; I just wish they would update the 2GR. The Lexus of yesteryear still has my heart, and fortunately they can run laps around the moon, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of these newer models will be sitting in the stable next to my 1998 GS sooner than later.
Assuming you are referring to the 2GS, and yes... it was a wonderful car. I owned 2 of them. Unfortunately, those days are behind us.
Old 04-11-15, 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
The Original SC interior was one of the best ever made! The ergonomics were unparalleled and the bird's eye maple was stunning the way it wrapped around the cabin.
good for its day maybe, but the wood almost looked out of place in the 'sports car' especially since there was none on the center console.

Old 04-12-15, 11:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

^^^ They are never "sports cars", just a sporty looking luxury grand tourer ...
Old 04-12-15, 11:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
^^^ They are never "sports cars", just a sporty looking luxury grand tourer ...
................and a darned good one at that. It's been a long time since I test-drove one, but from what I can remember, they had lightning-quick steering, surprisingly so for a car of this type. I think I test-drove an SC300, which, of course, had a lighter front end than the heavier SC400 V8. I also remember I also generally preferred the 1Gen to its replacement, though the 2Gen did have a stunning interior....far better, IMO, than most new Lexus products of today.

Quick Reply: The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?