Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by markneups
I can see a mid year design change coming. Sales are going to fall flat. That should get the design leader fired. That goes for the entire line of Lexus and Toyota. That Camry is unlyyyyyyyy as is the highlander.
We've heard your opinion. Enough.
Old 04-07-15, 11:23 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
I can dig that. That's a smokin' hot car.
Old 04-07-15, 12:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I can see a mid year design change coming. Sales are going to fall flat. That should get the design leader fired. That goes for the entire line of Lexus and Toyota. That Camry is unlyyyyyyyy as is the highlander.
I bet Lexus is going to have an unbelievable year because their new cars are gorgeous. I hated the previous models...so boring and brand catered to the boomers. Go after the new X,Y, and millennials now with bolder, aggressive design. For me, Lexus is now on my radar for future cars
Old 04-07-15, 01:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have loved Lexus since the day they arrived on the luxury car scene. With that said, I have never loved them more than I do right now, and their new direction really resonates with me. I love what they are doing.
Old 04-07-15, 06:54 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that new sc concept looks very promising, i just wish they would tone down the aggressive body lines a little and make it a classy vehicle. cuz we all know the youth are not going to be able to afford this car, nor would they ever buy it since it is not practicle.

and i am 33, but consider myself to be a little old school since apparently i still like class and elegance over aggressive ricer futuristic designs.

Last edited by sojah; 04-07-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-07-15, 06:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
The biggest challenge Lexus(and all other manufacurers) are facing is the decline in interest by younger people in cars in general. With the highest debt burden of any previous generation they look at cars as out of reach and/or an expense they cant justify. It will be intersting to see how that plays out, whether its temporary. ... Lot of kids are opting for a different experience, ZipCar for example. YMMV
good points. zipcar though? maybe uber and lyft instead.

lol, did you see the camry's sales last month in the u.s.? over 40K!

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have loved Lexus since the day they arrived on the luxury car scene. With that said, I have never loved them more than I do right now, and their new direction really resonates with me. I love what they are doing.
almost all design doesn't age well, and must be constantly updated. while i can quibble with aspects of lexus design evolution, the futuristic (no i'm not going to use the overused 'aggressive' word ) designs with sleek LED headlights on recent 1nx/4rx and interesting trim details, not to mention a luxury cockpit like interior now in most models is simply worlds beyond designs of the past.

it's awesome that a '92 sc400 for example still runs well, but if you compare that interior to ANY new lexus, well, it just doesn't compare.

lexus hasn't applied the bandwidth needed to update existing models as fast as many including me would like, leaving several current models looking pretty hopelessly outdated, probably because of resources applied to launching new models like nx and rc, but lexus' reputation means they continue to sell. and beyond just design, lexus has dramatically upgraded suspensions (not it's not just about being 'sporty' but avs gives you best of both worlds), and the new safety suite needs to be pretty much standard across the range.

when we have the new rx, new ls launched, and maybe a gs refresh, lexus will have a pretty formidable armada of models and designs. then it will be time to replace the ct, gx, lx.
Old 04-08-15, 04:54 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design change

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet Lexus is going to have an unbelievable year because their new cars are gorgeous. I hated the previous models...so boring and brand catered to the boomers. Go after the new X,Y, and millennials now with bolder, aggressive design. For me, Lexus is now on my radar for future cars
It's not,just,the design I don't care for that leads me in the direction of a mid year change. The Lexus RX is now a same o same o SUV that mirrors every other manufacturers product. You,look,at past RX renderings and,they were class,and in a design area of their own. You can now buy a Ford,Escape that from the side and back looks like the NX or RX. That SUV costs 18K. Do you or anyone,else what to pay $50-60K for,something that looks a lot,less,expensive. That's why I see sales falling and a change coming. That ugly grill is not going to help,sales either.
Old 04-08-15, 07:37 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It's not,just,the design I don't care for that leads me in the direction of a mid year change. The Lexus RX is now a same o same o SUV that mirrors every other manufacturers product. You,look,at past RX renderings and,they were class,and in a design area of their own. You can now buy a Ford,Escape that from the side and back looks like the NX or RX. That SUV costs 18K. Do you or anyone,else what to pay $50-60K for,something that looks a lot,less,expensive. That's why I see sales falling and a change coming. That ugly grill is not going to help,sales either.
We will see who is right. They said the same thing about the 3IS and it handily outsold the 2IS. Now everyone got used to the predator face, people love it. If everyone shared your opinion, the 3IS would have sold badly and Lexus would probably have gone another direction.

The "told you so" conversation can be had in a year after we see the sales.
Old 04-08-15, 08:16 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Here's my personal experiences of how successful Lexus has been in changing their image. When I bought my first Lexus (a 2008 AWD IS 250) my son responded with a "oh yeah, now you're retiring it's time to get your old man car etc.". Flash forward six years and he got a CT 200 F Sport. And my brother in law, a literally decades loyal Cadillac buyer just bought a RC350 F Sport and he indicated the design was a key factor. Anecdotes I know, but none of us were interested before the new design language and emphasis on performance.
Old 04-08-15, 08:32 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As polarizing as the new grill design is, these are going to sell like hotcakes. I drive by a Lexus dealer daily and I see them getting truck loads of NXs all the time. The new RX will freshen up the line and people will line up to buy them. The new design looks like it is very stylish. Should do well for the line. I despised the original implementation of the spindle grill because it was tacked on. Aggressive nose, same old plain jane body. Now that the rest of the lines of the entire car channel the aggressive grill, the cars look much better over all. Still not my cup of tea but much better and sales numbers reflect it.
Old 04-08-15, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSCT
When I bought my first Lexus (a 2008 AWD IS 250) my son responded with a "oh yeah, now you're retiring it's time to get your old man car etc.".
Sorry, but I have to disagree with your son. He's buying into stereotypes that have little or nothing to do with reality. The IS250AWD was a fine, if somewhat sluggish and back-seat-cramped all-weather car that has satisfied many buyers. Here in my area (D.C. suburbs), though I don't have hard local sales-numbers, the AWD version seemed to handily outsell the RWD model.
Old 04-08-15, 02:53 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Really? What's your basis for this? Have you seen the annual JD Power and Consumer Report surveys?
I based on my personal experience on 2007 ES, 2010 RX450H and 2011 CT.

All these cars have internal rattles. I took them to the Lexus dealer (Seattle and Bellevue),
the dealer told me that was caused by plastic material, they change shape a little bit in different
temperature, and the dealer can't identify which one is defected, so they can't fix it.
Old 04-08-15, 02:58 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
and i am 33, but consider myself to be a little old school since apparently i still like class and elegance over aggressive ricer futuristic designs.
Right so you're classy and elegant while those of us who thinks the new design looks good and will sell prefers aggressive ricer futuristic designs.
Old 04-08-15, 03:43 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G Star
Right so you're classy and elegant while those of us who thinks the new design looks good and will sell prefers aggressive ricer futuristic designs.
exactly ^ ^ ^

can you break it down using different adjectives? we can all say and agree that the new design is aggressive and edgy. futuristic is debatable. and to me any car that is trying to cover up for its short commings by trying extra hard to make it appear fast is just plain ricer-esq.

the new rc makes me think of a fat man wearing a track suit and some new running shoes, and we all know that guy is not about to sprint anywhere
Old 04-08-15, 03:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

almost all design doesn't age well, and must be constantly updated. while i can quibble with aspects of lexus design evolution, the futuristic (no i'm not going to use the overused 'aggressive' word ) designs with sleek LED headlights on recent 1nx/4rx and interesting trim details, not to mention a luxury cockpit like interior now in most models is simply worlds beyond designs of the past.

when we have the new rx, new ls launched, and maybe a gs refresh, lexus will have a pretty formidable armada of models and designs. then it will be time to replace the ct, gx, lx.
agreed on design, newer it is, better they did IMHO... as to this year, we are getting GS, ES and LX refreshes by the end of the year. After that, CT should be next, on that new platform.

Quick Reply: The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?