Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
After the Toyota (media trumped up) unintended acceleration issue, he's the guy who announced to the world that Toyota had gotten sloppy and was building cars too quickly costing them quality. He stopped that.
If he admitted quality-lapses, how could the media have simply trumped it up?.......though I do agree with you that that particular issue was overblown some, and definitely not as serious as the image being painted. Though i want to be careful not to be a monday Morning quarterback, even with that well-publicized State Trooper case in CA with the ES, my guess is that he could have simply put the car in neutral, and didn't.

I think Lexus hasn't been this exciting a car line since the original LS came out and especially the original SC400. Some forget what a sensation that car was. You couldn't even find one in all of California for months. A California design I might add.
i agree with you that the original LS, LS430, and SC400 were superb cars....among the best Lexus has ever done. Yet, that is generally what some Lexus fans, today, are looking back on as "boring", "ho-hum", "Grandpa/Grandma".....that Lexus products have to have spindle-grilles, aggressive styling, and ride/handle like sports-sedans and sport-coupes if they are going to sell today.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-15 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 07:03 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

"...that Lexus products have to have spindle-grilles, aggressive styling, and ride/handle like sports-sedans and sport-coupes if they are going to sell today."

And you would be right. BMW and Mercedes are targeting younger affluent buyers with smaller cars like the new C and CLA, now Lexus are doing the same. They can't rely on the older demographic solely when they need to sell cars globally. That said, I know some 50-60 year olds who love the new RX design so I think Lexus are doing a good job

For me, Lexus cars are known for their ride comfort so they shouldn't sacrifice that for handling. BMW are moving in the opposite direction from handling to comfort. It would be strange if Lexus became more like the enthusiast-oriented BMW of the past.
Old 04-05-15, 07:16 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamGS4
Interesting to see lexus's evolution over the past 5-7 years. Gone from quiet dull saloons to aggressive motorsports that make a statement. With the economy on the rise, people are looking for cars with a little more flare than the past 10years, and lexus seems to have given the market just that. The new GS F and RC F are incredible mile stones in lexus history as far as luxury and performance go, and i seriously cannot wait to see what they have instore for us in the next 10years Keep it up Lexus!
Yes, they are incredible milestones for Lexus. Although the looks can be polarizing, the GS F Sport has received accolades from the experts. Also, the RC350 F Sport, well, look at this video...

Better to drive than the BMW 4 Series. Says a lot. Lexus set out to make fun-to-drive cars and they have delivered.
Old 04-05-15, 07:28 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, they are incredible milestones for Lexus. Although the looks can be polarizing, the GS F Sport has received accolades from the experts. Also, the RC350 F Sport, well, look at this video...

2015 Lexus RC350 F Sport: How Does it Compare to BMW & Audi? – A Discussion with MotoMan - YouTube

Better to drive than the BMW 4 Series. Says a lot. Lexus set out to make fun-to-drive cars and they have delivered.
I think the new GS is beautiful. I drove an early RC F and it was incredible. The RC is a better drive than the Mercedes SL. Now many won't believe that but I stand by the statement. I'm waiting for the RC convertible and hope they keep the chassis rigidity. They blew the chassis on the SC430 unfortunately but I think the RC will get more attention in these competitive times. I hope so anyway.
Old 04-05-15, 07:39 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not sure I'm going to make any correlation between IS sales and TL sales, but I see how merging the TL/TSX models may indicate sale issues.
Stupid me. I meant 3rd gen TL vs 4th gen TL. Big difference in sales. Responding on mobile phones is harder than PCs. Haha
Old 04-05-15, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
For me, Lexus cars are known for their ride comfort so they shouldn't sacrifice that for handling.
In general, though, that's the way Lexus is going, though they do have a couple of relatively smooth riding models left.....chiefly the LS, with the GS somewhat less-so. The ES was once what I'd call a smooth-riding car, but, now, IMO, also less-so....though I wouldn't cal it harsh by any means.

BMW are moving in the opposite direction from handling to comfort. It would be strange if Lexus became more like the enthusiast-oriented BMW of the past.
With BMW, in the past, it wasn't so much a question of comfort vs. handling, since BMW (And, to a lesser-extent, Mercedes) had some of the world's best chassis/steering/suspension engineers working for them, and ranked among those uncommon vehicles that could combine both....even with the Optional Sport Packages. Today, though, Mercedes seems to have kept its chassis-engineerring capability, while some BMWs are losing their edge. One of the factors at BMW seems to have been the recent shift to electric power steering.....the engineers just can't seem to dial in the same tactile-steering feel (you could almost steer an older BMW blindfolded) that they had with the former, superb hydraulic steering units.
Old 04-06-15, 08:25 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Test drove the the RCF and F Sport the other day. Loved the drive. Made me reminisce about my old SC3. It's a bit tight in the interior for me, though. I hope Lexus releases a larger coupe in the near future.
Old 04-06-15, 11:49 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T0ked
Test drove the the RCF and F Sport the other day. Loved the drive. Made me reminisce about my old SC3. It's a bit tight in the interior for me, though. I hope Lexus releases a larger coupe in the near future.
A lot of cars are tight these days. A lot have small seats to make the interiors LOOK roomier. Silly. I always liked the IS but it was just too narrow inside for me. The RC is tight, but it was pretty comfortable once I settled in. We get used to things eventually.
Old 04-06-15, 06:14 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I would say Mercedes are on a roll with fresh and polarizing styling, yet managing to combine comfort and performance. I think they've successfully shed their old-rich-businessman image and their cars are more appealing to a larger set of consumers. Lexus are following their lead with edgier designs, although their suspension tuning seems to be biased towards perfect Japanese roads. I prefer reading UK car reviews because the roads there can get pretty bad; a Lexus that's good for UK roads would be good for the rest of the world.
Old 04-07-15, 06:08 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange but true

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I love the new lexus design, but HATE their stupid new culture/fashion/skinny jean/*** chap commercials whatever lifestyle theme that they're using (like Phil posted above).

Thank goodness I'm not influenced by these commercials otherwise lexus would've lost me as a customer
Strange--- I like the new commercials but am disgusted with the design that lost all the beautiful sculpture of the RX. Now it looks like something Salvador Doli,would have designed, and we all know he was not wrapped to tight.
X
Old 04-07-15, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by markneups
Strange--- I like the new commercials but am disgusted with the design that lost all the beautiful sculpture of the RX. Now it looks like something Salvador Doli,would have designed, and we all know he was not wrapped to tight.
X
say what you want about lexus and the rx, but do NOT diss Salvador Dali. he was a genius. and his wife a PR and marketing genius.

Old 04-07-15, 08:23 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T0ked
I hope Lexus releases a larger coupe in the near future.
I too hope they release a large coupe.

Originally Posted by chromedome
I would say Mercedes are on a roll with fresh and polarizing styling, yet managing to combine comfort and performance. I think they've successfully shed their old-rich-businessman image and their cars are more appealing to a larger set of consumers. Lexus are following their lead with edgier designs, although their suspension tuning seems to be biased towards perfect Japanese roads. I prefer reading UK car reviews because the roads there can get pretty bad; a Lexus that's good for UK roads would be good for the rest of the world.
Interesting point about UK reviews, never considered this point.
I also tend to agree about Mercedes' new design language.
They're striking, and they are managing to shed the old-rich-guy image, and creating some fantastic designs.

While my wife and I are squarely in the Lexus target age range.
The design speaks to us.
Commercials... LOL
I don't really care for them, their marketing can do what they like to try to make the vehicles appealing.

I just think they have to be careful with how boldly they design the vehicle.

I say this, because I worked for a certain manufacturer at one point in time, that "bangled up" the 7 series design, and yet also produced the stunningly unique Z4 design.
With all due respect to Mr Bangle, he was both a genius, and also slightly too unique with some design aspects, and the fan base & market erupted, sometimes with quite negative effect.

But we eventually got used to it, because other auto manufacturers started releasing their own designs, with slices, and chunks, large rumps, and slashes in their body work... even to this day.

The Mrs and I love the NX (hence why we bought one)
But I'm not necessarily in love with the 2016 RX... yet. (Its growing on me.)
Will reserve any final opinions until its actually released of course.
I rather like the way the current 3RX looks, and know it'll age very gracefully.

To each his/or her own.
Old 04-07-15, 09:26 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

The biggest challenge Lexus(and all other manufacurers) are facing is the decline in interest by younger people in cars in general. With the highest debt burden of any previous generation they look at cars as out of reach and/or an expense they cant justify. It will be intersting to see how that plays out, whether its temporary. I know at my age(63) I have been a car guy since I was a kid. Used to spend as much time under the hood as in the drivers seat. Lot of kids are opting for a different experience, ZipCar for example.
YMMV
JTMav
Old 04-07-15, 09:38 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
I think the new GS is beautiful. I drove an early RC F and it was incredible. The RC is a better drive than the Mercedes SL. Now many won't believe that but I stand by the statement. I'm waiting for the RC convertible and hope they keep the chassis rigidity. They blew the chassis on the SC430 unfortunately but I think the RC will get more attention in these competitive times. I hope so anyway.
no. that will be the new SC500!!!
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/04/...but-next-year/
Old 04-07-15, 10:17 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Default Won't be around long

Originally Posted by Pamperme
This over sexualized culture is certainly disturbing ( scantily clad commercials). But the design direction Lexus is going in, I do like.
I can see a mid year design change coming. Sales are going to fall flat. That should get the design leader fired. That goes for the entire line of Lexus and Toyota. That Camry is unlyyyyyyyy as is the highlander.

Quick Reply: The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?