Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?

Old 04-04-15, 12:47 PM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd assume, then, that the reason you modded it was that the GS of 15 years ago, suspension and tire-wise, was somewhat "softer" then the GS of today. That's not to say that today's GS rides like a Honda S2000 (it doesn't)...but the difference is still noticeable.

This Boomer will probably be into cars (but not mods) till the day he passes away.
I agree with everything stated in this blog. But ugly is --- simply ugly. Can't change that this year. Young or old ,rich or poor--- still ugly. Looks just like the Acura--- ugly-- but not QUITE as ugly as the RX.
This sucker,is dead in the water. I said it before --- the Ford Edsel was guts and glory also.,dropped a bigger bomb than the Yugo---
Old 04-04-15, 01:15 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markneups
I agree with everything stated in this blog. But ugly is --- simply ugly. Can't change that this year. Young or old ,rich or poor--- still ugly. Looks just like the Acura--- ugly-- but not QUITE as ugly as the RX.
This sucker,is dead in the water. I said it before --- the Ford Edsel was guts and glory also.,dropped a bigger bomb than the Yugo---
Bet the RX hits it out of the park. I bet it's entirely different looking in the wild. The RX so far as I've seen has been photographed at an angle that emphasizes the protrusion. I wouldn't be surprised if some sites have run the pics through a 10 or 15mm lens effect filter. I don't like it personally, but big grilles are in, like it or not. I think it's silly.
Old 04-04-15, 03:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
Bet the RX hits it out of the park. I bet it's entirely different looking in the wild. The RX so far as I've seen has been photographed at an angle that emphasizes the protrusion. I wouldn't be surprised if some sites have run the pics through a 10 or 15mm lens effect filter. I don't like it personally, but big grilles are in, like it or not. I think it's silly.
Photos of the NX seemed to accentuate the prominent protrusion too. Still not my cup of tea but in real life, not quite as bad.
Old 04-04-15, 03:27 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Photos of the NX seemed to accentuate the prominent protrusion too. Still not my cup of tea but in real life, not quite as bad.
Exactly! I am 90% sure that next year I will add the NX to the stable. I think it's sharp actually and drives very well.
Old 04-04-15, 04:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Let's see how ugly the public thinks it is. Ugly has killed the sales of an entire line...the Acura TL is the best example. 3rd gen was beautiful with sales through the roof then they beat it with an ugly stick and sales tanked. I think the RX will have unbelievable sales because it's actually a decent looking car.
Old 04-04-15, 09:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We get it...you think its ugly. Lucky for Lexus, not everybody checks with you to determine what they think is attractive or ugly. I think the car is great looking. I'm not wrong...and you're not wrong. Different strokes for different folks.

Like we've said before, sales are up since the new spindle grill styling era, not down.
Old 04-04-15, 10:24 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Spindle grill has raise sales and F-sport sales in multiple categories. NX is already maxing out inventory and production.

Like it or not, the reality is Lexus' new polarizing strategy is working.

I would've never even considered to buy an RX, in fact I actually preferred the current Mercedes ML to the current RX but not anymore. RX is definitely something I'd look at and consider buying when it hits dealerships.
Old 04-04-15, 10:28 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah

just a shame that the grandson had to ruin such a great thing...
The only thing Akio Toyoda is ruining is Mercedes and BMW's comfortable top two positions from here on out.

In reality, minority niche opinions doesn't really weigh that much compared to that of shareholders and the shareholders react to how the market is reacting.

I'd recommend you sign up for one of those Lexus focus group surveys if you care so much about going back to the old ways.
Old 04-05-15, 02:05 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Now that the RX, NX and RC are sporting aggressive creases and huge grilles, the rest of the Lexus lineup looks a bit boring. I looked back at my ES after parking it for the night and I thought, it would look a lot better with an even bigger grille Lexus should look at the Ford Mondeo as a good example of a large, sleek car, especially how the roof line almost blends with the trunk.
Old 04-05-15, 05:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Now that the RX, NX and RC are sporting aggressive creases and huge grilles, the rest of the Lexus lineup looks a bit boring. I looked back at my ES after parking it for the night and I thought, it would look a lot better with an even bigger grille Lexus should look at the Ford Mondeo as a good example of a large, sleek car, especially how the roof line almost blends with the trunk.
Bigger is not always better.
Old 04-05-15, 06:04 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by G Star
The only thing Akio Toyoda is ruining is Mercedes and BMW's comfortable top two positions from here on out.
He is a total "car guy." He has possibly saved Lexus from falling way behind. Also, he blocked the release of the Prius until it was redesigned for improved handling and looks. Now, he may not be the greatest person in the car biz, but he knows people like and want well engineered and exciting designs with build quality. After the Toyota (media trumped up) unintended acceleration issue, he's the guy who announced to the world that Toyota had gotten sloppy and was building cars too quickly costing them quality. He stopped that. I think Lexus hasn't been this exciting a car line since the original LS came out and especially the original SC400. Some forget what a sensation that car was. You couldn't even find one in all of California for months. A California design I might add.
Old 04-05-15, 12:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Let's see how ugly the public thinks it is. Ugly has killed the sales of an entire line...the Acura TL is the best example. 3rd gen was beautiful with sales through the roof then they beat it with an ugly stick and sales tanked. I think the RX will have unbelievable sales because it's actually a decent looking car.
I agree that the TL beak was ugly--but did it actually kill sales? Because I see them everywhere.
Old 04-05-15, 12:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree that the TL beak was ugly--but did it actually kill sales? Because I see them everywhere.
Oh yeah if you compare sales of the 3IS and 4IS, you'll see why the 4th gen is considered a failed gen. Also, the 4th gen got too big. You don't normally kill a successful model (unless you are Infiniti) as evident in Acura getting rid of the TL for the TLX.
Old 04-05-15, 02:31 PM
DreamGS4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to see lexus's evolution over the past 5-7 years. Gone from quiet dull saloons to aggressive motorsports that make a statement. With the economy on the rise, people are looking for cars with a little more flare than the past 10years, and lexus seems to have given the market just that. The new GS F and RC F are incredible mile stones in lexus history as far as luxury and performance go, and i seriously cannot wait to see what they have instore for us in the next 10years Keep it up Lexus!
Old 04-05-15, 02:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Oh yeah if you compare sales of the 3IS and 4IS, you'll see why the 4th gen is considered a failed gen. Also, the 4th gen got too big. You don't normally kill a successful model (unless you are Infiniti) as evident in Acura getting rid of the TL for the TLX.
I'm not sure I'm going to make any correlation between IS sales and TL sales, but I see how merging the TL/TSX models may indicate sale issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?