Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 02:44 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
Lexus quality has been dropping since 2007, and the new spindle face scares me a lot.

I'm leaving Lexus.
It's OK to buy other cars. We all want change at times. I don't find anything more compelling than Lexus. I buy the steak, not the sizzle. I think that's what I mean. I don't see myself being anything else.
Old 04-03-15, 04:22 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You're making my point for me. It's about money. You could pick up an LS460 but you choose not to spend the money, if someone gave you one...you'd take it.

You're a little different too because you're into modding and the VIP scene and all of that. Most of us aren't.

my pops is no longer with us, but if he hadn't been retired when the LS460 came out, he would have upgraded.
sorry about ur dad.

but the other point i'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. i thought you were saying that anyone who had the means would clearly buy the newest model. if that is your point i'm disagreeing with it and saying that i had the money and chose to get an older model on more than one occasion. newer to me is not always better. with some stuff yes, like boxer shorts and gym bags, but with cars i am not in agreement that newer is better.

if someone handed me an LS460 with no strings attached for free, yes i would take it, but i would definitely not get rid of any of my current 3 cars for it. i would add it to the collection.
Old 04-03-15, 04:45 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Lexus hasn't built a car that appealed to me since 2006. The LS430 and 2GS were that last of the good ones, exuding class and just enough sportiness (GS) to keep me happy. They also were the last cars Lexus has built IMO that raised the bar in any way. Now, I can't think of anything novel they've done in almost a decade since. On top of that, the "value" factor has evaporated. My local Lexus dealership charges an arm and a leg for parts/service and I'm sorry, if I'm going to pay those prices for nitpicky little gremlins here and there I'll take a German car.
i completely agree with you. my first lex was the 2nd gen GS400 and then i moved into an 05 LS430 UL. these were the best lexus cars every made in my opinion.

before moving to japan in 2012 i had an LS430 and could not force myself to get an LS460 (still can't). when i moved to japan i found the crown line and immediately bought an 05 Toyota Crown Athlete (if you don't know what they look like i encourage you to google them), which had almost the exact same interior as my prev LS430 but updated/refreshed since it was the newer gen (push button start, tech package etc). i recently sold it and still couldn't find anything in the lex lineup that i loved. so i bought an 08 toyota crown majesta.

in my opinion the toyota crown with the Athlete being like the GS line and the Majesta being like the LS line are so much better successors to the stateside 2GS (aristo) and LS430 (celsior) than what lexus did. i just wish we had had those options stateside.

lexus just changed course for me in 2006 and i think we are growing apart. i still love lexus as an idea and especially the older generation models (and toyota for sure), but i feel like they have entered some weird denial stage like a 40 something year old who goes out and get a new spiky posh hairstyle, a tattoo, and some skinny jeans.

i know a lof of folks won't agree, but they might be the ones wearing skinny jeans right this moment...

Last edited by sojah; 04-03-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 05:04 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

so this just in, got my wife next to me checking lexus forums in japanese in a similar section to this one and she is saying that there are many many complaints on the same thing. people saying that they are not happy with the new sharp extreme looking re-designs and that they miss the old lex.

i wish that would be a sign of softening changes in the future but with the Crown and Mark X variants here in Japan at least people have other options here.

Overall Japanese people are complaining on the interior and exterior getting cheaper in feel and style than what it used to be and are saying that presently lexus is lacking any sort of clear direction.

the toyota Mark X line is better looking to me than the current lex IS. don't get me wrong there are a ton of different models of cars here in japan and some come and go after only 1-3 years of being in production, cuz they are really ugly and no one buys them, but some are better than what is offered in Merikah and i hope they could bring the Mark & Crown lines for sure.
Old 04-03-15, 05:33 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I see a lot of Crowns and Mark Xs from the current and previous generations here and compared to current Lexus models, they're much more conservatively styled. Lexus is a global brand though. To compete with German and American cars, they need distinctive designs that would appeal to their global target market - affluent 30-50 year olds I think

Maintaining the status quo isn't an option. Imagine if BMW hadn't used Chris Bangle's designs or if Audi never tried the Nuvolari grille... They would be accused of rehashing the same car over and over, like what Jag did with the first all-aluminum XJ.
Old 04-03-15, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
Overall Japanese people are complaining on the interior and exterior getting cheaper in feel and style than what it used to be and are saying that presently lexus is lacking any sort of clear direction.
If "cheaper", in this instance, means thinner, lighter-feeling materials, I agree.
Old 04-03-15, 07:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

But even current Crown line design is getting out of hand :/
Old 04-03-15, 08:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You're making my point for me. It's about money. You could pick up an LS460 but you choose not to spend the money, if someone gave you one...you'd take it.

You're a little different too because you're into modding and the VIP scene and all of that. Most of us aren't.

my pops is no longer with us, but if he hadn't been retired when the LS460 came out, he would have upgraded.
My pop's been gone for a while now too, but he kept his '91 LS400 for 8 years and traded up for a '99 LS400 right before he passed away. He had been retired for 10 years, but he was a car guy 'til the end! I inherited the gene.
Old 04-03-15, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

sorry about ur dad.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

but the other point i'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. i thought you were saying that anyone who had the means would clearly buy the newest model.
No, I even said that having the means and being motivated to spend the money are different things...it always comes down to money though.

I could go out and buy an S550 tomorrow...but I choose to drive my GS instead. I choose that because of money.

Originally Posted by dseag
My pop's been gone for a while now too, but he kept his '91 LS400 for 8 years and traded up for a '99 LS400 right before he passed away. He had been retired for 10 years, but he was a car guy 'til the end! I inherited the gene.
So was mine! He loved cars.
Old 04-03-15, 08:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

so this just in, got my wife next to me checking lexus forums in japanese in a similar section to this one and she is saying that there are many many complaints on the same thing. people saying that they are not happy with the new sharp extreme looking re-designs and that they miss the old lex.

Its the same on every internet car fan forum, car fanatics will always be polarized and hold strong opinions either way.

The market speaks louder than the forums because online fan community is a massively niche minority.

For every positive fan commentary, there will be a negative fan critique. Every time a new design comes much of the online community will criticize it, then be neutral, then eventually when they see it in person or see others driving it, they'll accept it.

Sales is the most important thing, if the market is vocal (through sales) about hating the new RX, you can bet Lexus will listen.
Old 04-03-15, 10:11 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

This is what you're missing, the "sport" cars don't ride hard and sporty. I have one, and I was very worried about the ride vs the comfort oriented Lexus cars I'd owned before...I was and still am astonished by how smooth and quiet it rides.

You need to drive them and try them before you write them off.

And Lexus has ALWAYS copied the germans. Their cars are more unique now than they ever have been before.
Smooth yes, quiet no. I just spent 12 taking apart the cargo area putting down sound deadener & CCF(closed cell foam) attempting to quiet it. It would have been a LOT easier to have done it right at the factory first. All there is underneath is sheet metal, no padding and a sorry excuse of outdoor penny(or less actually) thin carpet. Next week I'll address the floor from the back seat to the firewall.
Old 04-03-15, 11:37 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i just feel that overall lexus has lost their class and elegance. the class that lexus used to have it what drew me to them, and since it is not there anymore i feel that i will most likely start looking elsewhere such as MB for my next big bodied sedan, when i am back stateside and have a garage to park it in.

just a shame that the grandson had to ruin such a great thing...
Old 04-04-15, 06:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"Many many complaints"--what is that? Posts on internet forums do not accurately represent the opinions of the mass car buying market. Even though I don't love the current spindel grille design across the board, I have to have faith that a company like Lexus has researched this design element, and they know what they are doing. That doesn't mean that they are 100% correct in their market research--Acura shows that design blunders can be made. Internet posters are a small percentage of the car buying population, and likely the most opinionated.

I think Lexus is going to do just fine with the current design, and I'm confident they know what they are doing.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-04-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Smooth yes, quiet no. I just spent 12 taking apart the cargo area putting down sound deadener & CCF(closed cell foam) attempting to quiet it. It would have been a LOT easier to have done it right at the factory first. All there is underneath is sheet metal, no padding and a sorry excuse of outdoor penny(or less actually) thin carpet. Next week I'll address the floor from the back seat to the firewall.
You don't own any of the cars I'm talking about, and neither of your cars is within 5 years old your experience is not applicable.

Originally Posted by sojuh
Again...sales are up...not down. Sorry you don't like them anymore but plenty of people do. Go buy something else.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-04-15 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 09:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i just feel that overall lexus has lost their class and elegance. the class that lexus used to have it what drew me to them, and since it is not there anymore i feel that i will most likely start looking elsewhere such as MB for my next big bodied sedan, when i am back stateside and have a garage to park it in.

You should purchase whatever car is best for you, and if Lexus doesn't do it for you anymore, then you should find a car that works for you. However, claiming that Lexus quality is down because you "feel" it that is the case is not an objective standard that anyone can measure.

Quick Reply: The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?