Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 10:12 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
Just because old customers are becoming 60-70+ doesn't mean that the younger 30-40 year olds haven't aged. Yes the ES350 is softer than the IS, RC, and CT but why does it need a sport option on the dial or other sport attributes. I'm not a big fan of the new designs and where Lexus is heading. Just because other car manufacturers are pushing a sportier design, doesn't mean you have to follow it to. Lexus should have just stuck the ES/LS with the traditional soft/cushy ride and put make the GS/IS as sporty as they want. So to answer the original question, I don't fit in the target market that Lexus is currently going after.

I agree. Why make the whole damn lineup "sport"?. Been there done that. Rocked hard in my 20's- 30's and am not looking for that hard/firm sport ride. At least make ONE line up a comfortable option. Not for me to be honest. But luckily there are plenty of gently used options available to me to last me till my old age. Furthermore I hate followers. Why copy the Germans? Pathetic wanna be culture Lexus has become. They now follow? What happened to leading?
Old 04-03-15, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
I agree. Why make the whole damn lineup "sport"?. Been there done that. Rocked hard in my 20's- 30's and am not looking for that hard/firm sport ride. At least make ONE line up a comfortable option. Not for me to be honest. But luckily there are plenty of gently used options available to me to last me till my old age. Furthermore I hate followers. Why copy the Germans? Pathetic wanna be culture Lexus has become. They now follow? What happened to leading?
This is what you're missing, the "sport" cars don't ride hard and sporty. I have one, and I was very worried about the ride vs the comfort oriented Lexus cars I'd owned before...I was and still am astonished by how smooth and quiet it rides.

You need to drive them and try them before you write them off.

And Lexus has ALWAYS copied the germans. Their cars are more unique now than they ever have been before.
Old 04-03-15, 11:15 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All Lexus is trying to do is sell as many cars as they can, just like every other car manufacturer. It has little obligation to past owners when designing new cars. I have driven the new sport models and I think they're still great cars. I don't find them bone jarring or terribly loud. if and when when an RC Convertible comes out, I definitely want one. I might even step up to an F. I may wait a year or two until I can see how they are in the real world, but I want one. If I bought an SUV/Crossover right now, it would be the RX Hybrid. If I ever want a luxobarge again (said lovingly) the LS will be it. The German car companies will never see a dime from me again. Now, BMW motorcycles, that's different. That's my motorcycle marque for life.
Old 04-03-15, 11:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
Now, BMW motorcycles, that's different. That's my motorcycle marque for life.
Don't be so silly...
Old 04-03-15, 11:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Why copy the Germans?
Have you seen sales numbers from the German makes? They are doing something right; what other company wouldn't want to replicate that?
Old 04-03-15, 11:29 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus hasn't built a car that appealed to me since 2006. The LS430 and 2GS were that last of the good ones, exuding class and just enough sportiness (GS) to keep me happy. They also were the last cars Lexus has built IMO that raised the bar in any way. Now, I can't think of anything novel they've done in almost a decade since. On top of that, the "value" factor has evaporated. My local Lexus dealership charges an arm and a leg for parts/service and I'm sorry, if I'm going to pay those prices for nitpicky little gremlins here and there I'll take a German car.
Old 04-03-15, 11:41 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Don't be so silly...
I owned a Nightrod (I know....not a real Harley say many) and a few Ducatis. I've owned over 15 bikes in. my life of all makes. Nobody, nobody, nobody makes a better motorcycle today than BMW. Nobody! Unless I change my mind. No more motorcycle talk though. I got warned last time I went off topic. I apologize in advance.
Old 04-03-15, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Lexus hasn't built a car that appealed to me since 2006. The LS430 and 2GS were that last of the good ones, exuding class and just enough sportiness (GS) to keep me happy. They also were the last cars Lexus has built IMO that raised the bar in any way. Now, I can't think of anything novel they've done in almost a decade since. On top of that, the "value" factor has evaporated. My local Lexus dealership charges an arm and a leg for parts/service and I'm sorry, if I'm going to pay those prices for nitpicky little gremlins here and there I'll take a German car.
I think JiBBel has just described one of several reasons why the German makes (especially Audi), have recently taken off.

My local Lexus dealership charges an arm and a leg for parts/service and I'm sorry, if I'm going to pay those prices for nitpicky little gremlins here and there I'll take a German car.
However, I will add one thing, JiBBel. If you think that Lexus shops charge an arm and a leg, just imagine dealing with Mercedes service/repairs that are not free or warranty-covered. And, with a Lexus product, for simple routine service and non-warranty-related repairs, that can (sometimes) be done at a local Toyota shop for significantly less money, using many of the same factory parts, filters, etc....that Lexus shops use. You usually don't have that option with a German make, except (possibly) for some Audi service/repairs at a VW shop.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-03-15 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 12:42 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think JiBBel has just described one of several reasons why the German makes (especially Audi), have recently taken off.
Indeed. They assured a strong and consistent revenue stream to fuel their costs. I couldn't even reset my maintenance light on my old Audi (unless I bought a $400 computer). Dealer charged me to reset it for me. $400 to change a headlight bulb.
Old 04-03-15, 01:05 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus quality has been dropping since 2007, and the new spindle face scares me a lot.

I'm leaving Lexus.
Old 04-03-15, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I agree that Lexus quality had a rough patch between 2006-2012. As an owner of a 2013 Lexus GS and as someone who had older very high quality Lexus vehicles, the quality is back in a big way. My GS is every bit as high quality as my older Lexus cars were. My 2010 ES not as much.
Old 04-03-15, 01:57 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I find the Lexus marketing interesting. I have been looking at pics and video of the 16 RX and while styling is definitely appealing to a younger market, the interior pics show XM radio tuned to Classic Vinyl, and Bluetooth playing Baba O'Reilly by the Who and Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones.
Old 04-03-15, 02:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
Lexus quality has been dropping since 2007, and the new spindle face scares me a lot.

I'm leaving Lexus.
Who for? What make has had improved quality over that time period? Everyone has cut costs.
Old 04-03-15, 02:22 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

All car companies' sales have taken off. Well, most anyway. Even Mitsubishi sales haven't been too shabby lately. Thanks to the low interest rate environment engineered by the world's central banks to reverse the effects of the global financial crisis of 2008, why wouldn't sales take off?
Old 04-03-15, 02:24 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
Lexus quality has been dropping since 2007,
Really? What's your basis for this? Have you seen the annual JD Power and Consumer Report surveys?

Quick Reply: The "New" Lexus : are you no longer its target market?