Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Nissan Maxima Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 02:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Striking inside and out!
Old 04-08-15, 11:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Striking inside and out!
I agree.

I mean the Altima is superb.....but if you want to upgrade, then the Maxima is hard to resist.
Old 04-08-15, 05:20 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I generally like it. I think it's a bit exaggerated with a few awkward lines but Nissan is trying to break out of traditional molds. They've stated as much. Volume sellers stay a bit more conservative (Altima, Rogue), while lower sellers like Maxima and Murano get this treatment.

I'd still easily buy the Avalon over this new Maxima.
Old 04-09-15, 09:14 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The Nissan Maxima sets itself apart with its bold styling. The interior has upscale materials and controls are large and easy to use. But it may not be the sports car it wants to be.
Old 04-09-15, 12:18 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I generally like it. I think it's a bit exaggerated with a few awkward lines but Nissan is trying to break out of traditional molds. They've stated as much. Volume sellers stay a bit more conservative (Altima, Rogue), while lower sellers like Maxima and Murano get this treatment.

I'd still easily buy the Avalon over this new Maxima.
Yes, Nissan is known for their exaggerated lines within their designs. Some work, some don't.

But I wouldn't easily purchase an Avalon over this. Actually, I'd lean towards the Maxima, because of my lead-foot, sporty nature. That Avalon is a nice place to be chaffeured, but I'd likely rather drive this Maxima, if they got the CVT right. Nissan/Infiniti does do sport suspensions well, to my liking anyway.
Old 04-09-15, 06:25 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't like it. The C pillar rear fender area gives it the illusion of being too high.

Like someone shrugging his shoulders.

paddle shifters on a cvt ??

and that touch screen is terribly choppy. Look at that pinch to zoom choppiness, like it's running a slow cpu.
Seems like it's still using resistive touch screen.

Mazda6 has a capacitive touch screen.

Last edited by pman6; 04-09-15 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 06:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Paddle shifters on a CVT is old news. The last-gen had them too. It just uses simulated ratios- they actually worked very well and served up instant "downshifts"
Old 04-09-15, 06:51 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Yes, Nissan is known for their exaggerated lines within their designs. Some work, some don't.

But I wouldn't easily purchase an Avalon over this. Actually, I'd lean towards the Maxima, because of my lead-foot, sporty nature. That Avalon is a nice place to be chaffeured, but I'd likely rather drive this Maxima, if they got the CVT right. Nissan/Infiniti does do sport suspensions well, to my liking anyway.
For me, I prefer the Avalon's classier, cleaner lines. One of the best looking sedans ever IMO. I value the much roomier interior and more luxurious feel overall. I'm not looking for sport. Road laws kill any real chance to drive sporty. As it is, I can easily break the law enough to go to prison with a Yaris.
Old 04-09-15, 07:38 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I look forward to this coming out. I love the styling and the tech on the platinum model. Also, if you pre-order one now, you get a complimentary 3 year maintenance plan.
Old 04-10-15, 01:34 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
For me, I prefer the Avalon's classier, cleaner lines. One of the best looking sedans ever IMO. I value the much roomier interior and more luxurious feel overall. I'm not looking for sport. Road laws kill any real chance to drive sporty. As it is, I can easily break the law enough to go to prison with a Yaris.
Interesting.

I agree, the Avalon is a nice looking vehicle. And it's got room for days in that backseat.

But I value a sporty car with some sporting intentions. With my Valentine One and a favorite back road, I can have unspeakable fun in a sports car or sports sedan. And on the open highway, I'm routinely pushing 100 mph, which sometimes requires passing on the right (since people tend to think they can just hang in the left lane, not passing anyone for miles)....so confident, high-speed agility matters.

And I certainly don't need a big back seat. I rarely have 4 adults in my car.

I can appreciate a roomy, silent 4-door....as a rental, or a 2nd vehicle. But on a sunny day, with me in the driver's seat, blasting down a highway, music pumping, I simply don't want to be driving an Avalon.

But I appreciate it's positive attributes for those that do.

Since I know Nissan will tune the new Max's suspension decidedly towards sporty, and with that well-established VQ engine, that Maxima is going to be a thrilling sports sedan (if they get the CVT right, which isn't easy to do). Certainly, its lines are not as clean as the Avalon's, but with a slight drop and some gorgeous shoes, it can be quite a looker, from most angles anyway. I was never all that fond of the last Maxima's styling, this one looks better to me.

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-21-15 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 10:02 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Nissan's Smyrna Vehicle Assembly Plant continues its reign as the top-producing automotive plant in North America, as Gov. Bill Haslam, U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander and Tennessee Economic and Community Development Commissioner Randy Boyd joined plant employees to celebrate the start of production for the all-new 2016 Nissan Maxima.
Old 04-21-15, 09:40 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The U.S. automotive industry is vibrant in the south, with a steady drumbeat of growth being contributed from Nissan North America.

Just over a month since announcing a new supplier park at its Smyrna, Tenn. manufacturing facility, that plant today begins production on the all-new, eighth-generation Maxima sedan.
Old 04-22-15, 06:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

looks really great. well done nissan. looking forward to reviews of this.
Old 04-22-15, 07:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This front end looks awful. Tied for the Acura beek as worst in class front end.
Old 04-22-15, 09:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This front end looks awful. Tied for the Acura beek as worst in class front end.
I think the front is fine. I'm actually starting to doubt the Lexus spindle in some applications. They keep making it larger and larger with each new product and it's already starting to make we want to see less and less of it.

Quick Reply: 2016 Nissan Maxima Unveiled