Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Lexus¿

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 11:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They are not, the pre-facelift 4GS, and the CT/ES/LS, do not look aggressive to me, just more distinct compared to previous Lexus..
LS looks the best. 2nd best is LX. The rest are more miss than hit. This RX just looks bad IMO.
Old 04-02-15, 12:37 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the design is spot on, the cars themselves needs new power-trains to be the full package.

For every existing customer they loose /alienate with the styling they pick up a few prospective customers. Lexus is doing a good job at understanding the next group in power, this group of people is very conscious and vocal and this new direction of design should appeal to lots of people my age.
Old 04-02-15, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Sales figures across the board disagree with you.
sales are up in good part because they have more models.

besides, while lexus obviously wants to sell, they've previously said it's not all about sales.

lexus is slowly expanding their line to be competitive and to maximize profits. that has nothing to do with whether any particular person thinks the designs are good.

The cars look good enough to compete with the top luxury automakers while taking a shot at being #1 again.
that's about it.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
IMO it looks like the RX wants to eat someone's little kid.
funniest quote of the day
Old 04-02-15, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Which is true of their competitors too.
Old 04-02-15, 03:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
IMO it looks like the RX wants to eat someone's little kid.
To be fair little Johnny probably deserved it
Old 04-02-15, 03:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't know about that. I just looked at wiki (I know, I know) and majority of Lexus models peaked around mid-00s, as far as US sales goes. They sell more as a company now than before, but they've also benefit from new models like the CT, RC, and NX. 2010-2014 weren't the prettiest years for Lexus.
Thats where I would agree that Lexus designs were far more advanced than the competition starting from the 90s into the mid-00s. Take a Lexus SC from the 90s and compare it to a Mercedes SL from the same era and we can see the massive difference. Mid to Late 00's is when the competition started getting aggressive and chipping away at Lexus market share.

Now that Lexus is taking a huge step into design again, they took their advantage which was quality interior and customer service and additionally strengthened their weak spot-design and limited model offerings. Now they're getting noticed and people are digging the new look.

None of us can deny the amount of F-sports flying off the lots~

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

besides, while lexus obviously wants to sell, they've previously said it's not all about sales.

lexus is slowly expanding their line to be competitive and to maximize profits. that has nothing to do with whether any particular person thinks the designs are good.
My comment about sales figures were a counter to his claims that the designs were ugly and assumption that people would hate it.

I think it helps Lexus' case that now they have more in the line up and can prove that the F-sport aggressive look is adding to more individual model sales~

We all know that if Lexus' (or any other car maker) new design language was a failure and people hated it, they would begin to take actions to change course because building a design you know will fail is a waste of money.

Last edited by G Star; 04-02-15 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 03:26 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I defended the new IS for going more aggressive because it became annoying when people would constantly complain a brands cars are too bland and boring but then when they try to address that they complain they are too aggressive but I am starting to agree that the new Lexus trend with big wide mouthed grills and too many creases is getting to be too much. After seeing the RC350 coupe in person I can't get past its looks and think it is kind of ugly, that big grill is really bad along with some needless creases and ruins the design. I am not the only one who thinks that way either. The new RX suffers the same problem especially when there is really no need to go that aggressive with a vehicle like the RX considering its buyers, it may turn some off.

With the more aggressive styling Lexus is still doing well so people are not running to other brands in large numbers.

I think Lexus is going to eventually have to dial styling/the grill back a notch if they keep getting criticized for styling like they are with the RC.
I drive an RC350 and have to agree the grill is wide. Too wide. But I can't call it or the car ugly. From the rear and sides its down right sexy. Straight-on front view is the only weak spot for me. My feelings are subjective. Some find the whole car beautiful. I don't need it to be completely gorgeous. I do need to like most of it and I do.

The RCF grill looks waaay better. But the bulging hood is not as sleek as the 350. The F doesn't need to be perfect. I would buy one tomorrow if I wanted to spend that much on a car.
Lexus needed a signature front like BMW, Audi and Benz has. In an effort to still make every model look different, no 2 spindles look the same. To me, the IS does it best but no way could I ever own the car. Way too small for my big butt. Well, It's actually the width of it that bothers me most. But its an attractive car.

There's way too much nitpicking about the current Lexus designs. I remember the Bangle butt causing the same in-house disagreements on BMW forums. But people still bought the cars and they lived through it. The same will happen here.
Old 04-02-15, 04:04 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
To be fair little Johnny probably deserved it
Ba da bing!!!
Old 04-02-15, 04:34 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seriously not sure how the political tangent is even relevant, seems like a stretch of an analogy to me. i am 33, owned lexus cars since i was 23 and don't think i would buy any of their new models right now. have to wait and see about the SC replacement though.

i have recently purchased my first bmw, but not because it is better handling, excelerating, etc... but because it looked better to me.

i know you gotta go with what appeases the masses in terms of sales, since again they are a business. and it seems apparent that they are doing more sales than ever, i just wish they left one sedan alone from their freakish predatorish looking lineup.

i have lived in Japan for the last 3 years (this time around) and am growing more and more fond of the JDM market. The Crown Majesta (which I just bought, UZS186) and the Mark X look far better to me than the Lexus variants sold in the US.

i just wish lexus would stop following fashion and be a leader. when they were the new guys or the underdogs their stuff was awesome, but now that they are out in front of the pack they keep putting out the same crap now as everyone else just to sell.

so if i can use an analogy of my own here; follow me if you will. its like that new musician who is putting out real music from the heart and soul, and then they get on a big record label and are forced to put out a album a year just sell records. somewhere they have lost their heart and soul for me and are becoming just a fancy more reliable, hate to say it, Hyundai perhaps...
Old 04-02-15, 04:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
seriously not sure how the political tangent is even relevant, seems like a stretch of an analogy to me.
If you don't get the political analogy (sorry but most others in here got it), I'll give you one that you should get~

American cars, hugely successful before the 90s, then came the Japanese and Europeans. American manufacturers refused to change with the times and got hit hard to the point where they needed federal stimulus money just to keep breathing.

If the big American automakers didn't need to change, they wouldn't have needed to be bailed out.

So just because you don't like the way something looks, then that means it has been corporatized and has no soul?

If you hate it all so much, you have quite a few years before Lexus will come out with a new design language, start marking your calendar.
Old 04-02-15, 04:57 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

my first response was after reading only the first page of comments.

now after reading the rest of the thread it seems that most like the 'new' lexus so apparently i am in the minority here. guess i just like the old school lexus era better.

i had high hopes for the new RC and think that thing is a laughable waste of an opportunity for lexus. we have one here in the showroom window of the dealership next to a red light i always get stopped at. i can't help but stare at it for the entire length of the red light but now in a way that i should be. i feel like i'm starring in a bad way or rude way, like when an old person or super fat person is crossing the road very very slowly and you want to get out and help them but you can't help but stare in amazement of their current state and wonder how they got like that. maybe this is just me though i just feel bad for the new RC when i look at it, like i shouldn't stare cuz it can't help it, but i wanna stare, but i know i shouldn't.

i was car shopping for two months before i recently decided and purchased my newest VIP sedan and when at the Osaka Motor show (Osaka Auto Messe) in February couldn't help but notice that i was more attracted to the previous generation designs over the current ones in almost all cases. then i researched online all the current body kit options for all the newest generation models, again before buying a full body kit last month. but i found that all the biggest makers of body kits had at least one variant that changed the front bumper and grill of whatever lexus model, and to me this what even put that particular lexus model even on my list of possible next cars.

i was stuck between the prev gen LS460 with a body kit to change the front end, a current gen toyota crown with a body kit to change the front end, or a prev gen Majesta with a body kit. well i went with the prev gen Majesta since i am just not down with the current trends and sharp lines.

call me old school i guess.
Old 04-02-15, 05:01 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

If you don't get the political analogy (sorry but most others in here got it), I'll give you one that you should get~

American cars, hugely successful before the 90s, then came the Japanese and Europeans. American manufacturers refused to change with the times and got hit hard to the point where they needed federal stimulus money just to keep breathing.

If the big American automakers didn't need to change, they wouldn't have needed to be bailed out.

So just because you don't like the way something looks, then that means it has been corporatized and has no soul?

If you hate it all so much, you have quite a few years before Lexus will come out with a new design language, start marking your calendar.
dude i get the reference, it's just stoooopid.

cuz somehow i have to be a old decrepid republican southern plantation owner since i like the older lexus models better hmmmm, not following, seems like a slippery slope to me

any howzer i was never fond of american cars (since 70's) or styles either. guess i will ride out my majesta and see what else is out there in about 3 years and i sell this one. my bmw is due for a refresh in another year so i'm thinking porsche at that time...

Last edited by sojah; 04-02-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Relying on designs that old people love is kind of like the Republican party. You cannot offend and scare away minority/youth votes and rely on Republican voters to win because one day the old white Republican will die and so will the party.
It's a big tent... Dont think your analogy holds. Tons of young voters love Rand Paul (and hus dad).
Old 04-03-15, 12:25 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i never even consider getting a Lexus until they introduced the spindle design on the 4GS. I love the design on the 4GS, 3IS non f sport, NX F Sport, and the LS F Sport. While i think the new RX is nice, i'd still choose an MDX over it
Old 04-03-15, 02:16 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Can't win over everyone all the time... Anyway I saw the new extended wheelbase C-class today, a C200L, and it looked like a baby S-class while being a lot more sporty. And it's huge, almost as long as the E, with a lot of design touches that make its larger sibling look stodgy. Even Mercedes are using polarizing styling to sell more cars so why can't Lexus?

Last edited by chromedome; 04-03-15 at 03:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Why Lexus¿