Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Lexus¿

Old 04-02-15, 08:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Sales figures across the board disagree with you.

I don't know about that. I just looked at wiki (I know, I know) and majority of Lexus models peaked around mid-00s, as far as US sales goes. They sell more as a company now than before, but they've also benefit from new models like the CT, RC, and NX. 2010-2014 weren't the prettiest years for Lexus.
Old 04-02-15, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I've been a Lexus owner for a long time, and I've had Lexus vehicles spanning much of their growth in design, etc. The only Lexus that I have truly felt connected to is my 4GS. When I look at the new designs, they speak to me while previous designs, while attractive, didn't. I selected Lexus vehicles obviously for a myriad of reasons, I liked the interiors, the way they drove, refinement, but it was never because I saw one and said "I HAVE to have that". I do feel that way about some of (not all) the new spindle designs, and in general I find they grow on me as time goes on. At first I didn't love the 4GS...well then I got one...and now I think its gorgeous. 2.5 years in I still turn around and look at it when I'm walking away from it. The RC, NX, IS...all of them have gotten better looking to me as I've looked at them. Isn't that what you want from a car? A car you like more the longer you look at it?

The bottom line is this:

You can't make something that somebody truly loves without making something that some people may hate. If you want to create a vehicle that really emotionally involves people, emotions are very individual and personal things. No previous Lexus involved anybody on an emotional level. These cars obviously do. Nobody will hate a house painted antique white inside, thats why we paint them that way when we sell them. But, nobody will love it either. Lexus used to buy a lot of cans of antique white, lets just put it that way.

Like others have said, sales are up, not down. Yes the distribution of Lexus sales has changed, there are more models, but a lot of that is due to changing demographics, the decline of the fullsize flagship market, etc. More models within the range don't just bring sales in from outside, they take sales from inside too. For instance a 3 row RX or TX or whatever will bring 2 row RX sales down.

Before people accused Lexus of being bland, now its too bold...they really can't win.
Old 04-02-15, 08:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

That may very well be true for Lexus. Doesn't seem to apply to BMW or Mercedes though They seem to sell the same, if not more even with the introduction of new models. One would think the C-class sales would drop with the addition of the cheaper CLA, but they've sold more C's than ever before. Same goes with many BMW models. Doesn't matter though because I'm lining up for a 4RX anyways.
Old 04-02-15, 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
That may very well be true for Lexus. Doesn't seem to apply to BMW or Mercedes though They seem to sell the same, if not more even with the introduction of new models. One would think the C-class sales would drop with the addition of the cheaper CLA, but they've sold more C's than ever before. Same goes with many BMW models. Doesn't matter though because I'm lining up for a 4RX anyways.
The CLA is a different car and it comes into a different segment than the C Class. They've also moved the C Class upmarket, the E is aging.

One issue Lexus has is with planning and rolling out their models. It seems like all at once we have a whole new lineup, then for years things are stagnant.
Old 04-02-15, 09:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
C class has its own coupe just in recent years and they are lumped together in their reported sales figure. Same for the E and S class now.
E class sales now = E class sedans + CLK coupes sales previously ... have to take this into consideration ...
Old 04-02-15, 09:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

why is each new lexus model uglier than the last?
SUBJECTIVE

Meanwhile Lexus keeps rolling
Old 04-02-15, 10:09 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

When lexus was introduced, they got the luxury and reliabilty down.

Ever since then, I wanted lexus to be more sporty so I don't have to go to mb/bmw/audi.

They answered the call and I'm quite happy.

Now they have to grow some more ***** and arm themselves in the hp war

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
people complained about bland boring looks now complain about more aggressive looks
Damn if you do and damn if you don't
Old 04-02-15, 10:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I defended the new IS for going more aggressive because it became annoying when people would constantly complain a brands cars are too bland and boring but then when they try to address that they complain they are too aggressive but I am starting to agree that the new Lexus trend with big wide mouthed grills and too many creases is getting to be too much. After seeing the RC350 coupe in person I can't get past its looks and think it is kind of ugly, that big grill is really bad along with some needless creases and ruins the design. I am not the only one who thinks that way either. The new RX suffers the same problem especially when there is really no need to go that aggressive with a vehicle like the RX considering its buyers, it may turn some off.

With the more aggressive styling Lexus is still doing well so people are not running to other brands in large numbers.

I think Lexus is going to eventually have to dial styling/the grill back a notch if they keep getting criticized for styling like they are with the RC.
Old 04-02-15, 10:38 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
people complained about bland boring looks now complain about more aggressive looks
Agreed. Everyone should just copy BMW and all cars on the road would look the same.....
Old 04-02-15, 10:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UDel
I defended the new IS for going more aggressive because it became annoying when people would constantly complain a brands cars are too bland and boring but then when they try to address that they complain they are too aggressive but I am starting to agree that the new Lexus trend with big wide mouthed grills and too many creases is getting to be too much. After seeing the RC350 coupe in person I can't get past its looks and think it is kind of ugly, that big grill is really bad along with some needless creases and ruins the design. I am not the only one who thinks that way either. The new RX suffers the same problem especially when there is really no need to go that aggressive with a vehicle like the RX considering its buyers, it may turn some off.

With the more aggressive styling Lexus is still doing well so people are not running to other brands in large numbers.

I think Lexus is going to eventually have to dial styling/the grill back a notch if they keep getting criticized for styling like they are with the RC.
The RC F is the only Lexus model I am even remotely interested in right now, it's the execution of its spindle grille and how it flows with the rest of the car that attracts me, not the simple fact that it is spindle shape or gaping.

I dislike the spindle grille on the 3IS even though it is spindle shape and big, I think the 3IS is an ugly sedan compared to the much nicer 2IS. So I dunno, I guess for me, it's not even simply the design language, but its execution on individual models that matters.

I always judge each model individually, I just know what I like or dislike when I see it in person.
Old 04-02-15, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

why does everything have to be more 'aggressive'?
Old 04-02-15, 11:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They are not, the pre-facelift 4GS, and the CT/ES/LS, do not look aggressive to me, just more distinct compared to previous Lexus..
Old 04-02-15, 11:12 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Most people will disagree with you. Lexus design is growing on people, I find all other car looks boring after looking at current Lexus lineup.
Old 04-02-15, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because on the whole thats what buyers want. They're focus testing, they're watching industry trends, they know what their target consumers are looking for...and the proof is in the sales. Sales are up.
Old 04-02-15, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm with you on that one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why Lexus¿