Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Lexus¿

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 05:13 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why Lexus¿

why is each new lexus model uglier than the last?

seems like since the grandson took over he has been hell bent on making uglier and uglier models.

this is mainly in reference to the brand new 2016 RX that was just released at the NYC auto show.

i think 2006 was the pinnacle of their looks, since then it has all been downhill for me.

now if only infiniti could start making some decent looking vehicles again they could stand to gain some of the previous lexus fanboys, myself just about included in this...
Old 04-01-15, 05:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
why is each new lexus model uglier than the last? seems like since the grandson took over he has been hell bent on making uglier and uglier models. this is mainly in reference to the brand new 2016 RX that was just released at the NYC auto show. i think 2006 was the pinnacle of their looks, since then it has all been downhill for me. now if only infiniti could start making some decent looking vehicles again they could stand to gain some of the previous lexus fanboys, myself just about included in this...
I think the Lexus has been getting better looking than the last versions. The new IS F-Sport is waaay more aggressive than the last iteration. The RC is a pretty car and as a new model is more aggressive than the disappointing CT.

Infiniti is truly a disappointing company for me. I had a G35 coupe for 11 years and loved that thing. Drove the Q50S a ton while my G35 started having issues due to its age and really disappointed with the handling on it. I had the Q50S for over a week. I had a JX for while and that was not a fun car to be in. Infiniti is less sporty than lexus now.
Old 04-01-15, 05:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sales figures across the board disagree with you.

Its ok to have your own personal taste but at the end of the day, you're criticizing a corporation that wants to sell to a majority of people, not to a niche minority.

The cars look good enough to compete with the top luxury automakers while taking a shot at being #1 again.
Old 04-01-15, 06:39 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But they were actually number one before they started doing predetor based designs.. ^^
Old 04-01-15, 06:43 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

why is each new lexus model uglier than the last?

seems like since the grandson took over he has been hell bent on making uglier and uglier models.

this is mainly in reference to the brand new 2016 RX that was just released at the NYC auto show.

i think 2006 was the pinnacle of their looks, since then it has all been downhill for me.

now if only infiniti could start making some decent looking vehicles again they could stand to gain some of the previous lexus fanboys, myself just about included in this...
That's exactly what I've been trying to say since the 3IS debuted

Ever since Akio took over the brand has been going down.

I wonder who has CEO when Lexus was at their peak back in the days of L-finesse
Old 04-01-15, 07:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
But they were actually number one before they started doing predetor based designs.. ^^
The new design language did not precede the fall in sales. We all know the several factors, one of them being the earthquake and supply, the other being the accelerator crisis and some would argue falling behind BMW and Mercedes in design.

Since then sales were down and they felt like they needed to change direction to freshen up the line, the new design language revitalized sales, there is no correlation between the new design language and a sales drop.

Relying on designs that old people love is kind of like the Republican party. You cannot offend and scare away minority/youth votes and rely on Republican voters to win because one day the old white Republican will die and so will the party.

Lexus doesn't want to die with their old and happy customer base, they need to market to younger buyers while retaining their classic base. It seems to be working.

As far as the new RX goes, time will tell if they succeed in sales. If IS, GX, GS, NX is any indication, things should go very smoothly for Lexus. Current RX generation is doing great and outperforming its own market entry.

Last edited by G Star; 04-01-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 07:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
The new design language did not precede the fall in sales. We all know the several factors, one of them being the earthquake and supply, the other being the accelerator crisis and some would argue falling behind BMW and Mercedes in design. Since then sales were down and they felt like they needed to change direction to freshen up the line, the new design language revitalized sales, there is no correlation between the new design language and a sales drop. Relying on designs that old people love is kind of like the Republican party. You cannot offend and scare away minority/youth votes and rely on Republican voters to win because one day the old white Republican will die and so will the party. Lexus doesn't want to die with their old and happy customer base, they need to market to younger buyers while retaining their classic base. It seems to be working. As far as the new RX goes, time will tell if they succeed in sales. If IS, GX, GS, NX is any indication, things should go very smoothly for Lexus. Current RX generation is doing great and outperforming its own market entry.
Agree completely. The previous IS was crapped on by every review ever due to its handling (or lack there of) and its feminine design. Prior design screamed boring and old. At least the new design is love it or hate like BMW and Mercedes.

I see way many more F Sports on the road than the regular version for the IS. Speaks volumes on whether people like the aggressive design or the conservative one.
Old 04-01-15, 09:12 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

the new RX will sell just fine with equal or better numbers.

people who buy the RX don't care enough about style. They'll buy it either way.
Old 04-02-15, 12:23 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

I can understand and see how one can dislike the new design language of Lexus. However i think the new RX is very nice and my favorite RX to date. I am not the target customer for the new RX but i like it very much, i feel current RX owners and potential new buyers will be very happy with the new RX and they will be lining up on dealership doors for it.
Old 04-02-15, 12:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Money. It's always about money. The political example above is good. Lexus is changing to appeal to the next generation. It's offended the traditional, older buyer, but it's what brings in sale and holds a future. I don't like it either, but I like Lexus's reliability and dealer service enough to stay interested. Plus you can always gain a used Lexus from the era you like and know it's still going to serve you well.
Old 04-02-15, 04:43 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yowps3
BMW and Mercedes are going downmarket, that's where their growth is coming from. Lexus doesn't have to do that since it already has Toyota to cover the sub $35k segment. If you count the loaded Camrys, Avalons, Highlanders, and RAV4s that crowd the $30k to $35k segment and add those to Lexus, Lexus/Toyota is far and away the number one car seller.
Old 04-02-15, 04:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't forget the Toyota vans and the land cruiser, they can get quite expensive
Old 04-02-15, 06:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

why is each new lexus model uglier than the last?:
I agree. This new RX looks god awful. I thought it was an April's Fools joke. IMO it looks like the RX wants to eat someone's little kid.

I like some for the spindle front ends. And sales should do well. BUT eventually the sales will fall IMO with these front ends.
Old 04-02-15, 06:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people complained about bland boring looks now complain about more aggressive looks
Old 04-02-15, 07:03 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't loved every Lexus design but appreciate all of them.
Most disappointing to me is the 4GS. But I said the same about the 3GS and ended up loving it.
Best of the new design language to me are the IS and RC.

I happen to like the new 16 RX because it comes up to the rest of the brand language. It was too bland before. I predict sales through the roof.

Quick Reply: Why Lexus¿