Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 09:23 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's a textured finish so it's meant to be like that. may not be your thing but it's not unfinished.

i almost bought a crv touring - for the money i thought it was very nice inside. you want to see cost cutting, while the highlander front row and dash is REALLY nice, the second tow and third/back area are cheap as can be. they definitely hope someone is swayed by the drive and doesn't look back there.
Im well aware that it is a textured finish, but no one does it this cheap looking for the past 15 years or so (and Im a former Pilot/Accord/Civic owner too). Funny you mentioned the Highlander as I test drove it too. I did not notice anything oeculiar about the 2nd or 3rd row seating, other than liking the captains chair (which mdx didnt offer) and more room/better seating position in the 3rd row. The trunk cargo was a little more plasticy then i liked though, but i thought it was a good overall package, especially for a mid XLE trim.
Old 02-10-16, 07:02 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wear headphones! The audio in this video was recorded with in-ear binaural microphones. With headphones or earbuds on, you'll feel like you're actually sitting in the driver's seat.
Old 02-11-16, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

great video. for a civic, that's a pretty great interior, exterior and overall package. seems honda really got it that their competition and upstarts like hyundai/kia required them to step it up.
Old 02-11-16, 08:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

great video. for a civic, that's a pretty great interior, exterior and overall package. seems honda really got it that their competition and upstarts like hyundai/kia required them to step it up.
Not only that, but the 2012 model was so poorly received that they had to rush an emergency refresh. They were destined not to make that mistake again.
Old 02-11-16, 09:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yeah that screw up probably cost them a bundle.
Old 02-11-16, 09:25 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

yeah that screw up probably cost them a bundle.
Probably not as much as putting defective engines in the first 50,000 cars they sold like this model. That's more of a quality black eye IMO, you go in to check out and buy a new Civic.

"Oh sorry, you can't buy one because they all have defective engines that need replacement"
Old 02-11-16, 09:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Toyota's top trim interiors are just as good as Honda's (sometimes better), but the base trim is where Honda outshines Toyota's offerings. Besides, only Honda is crazy enough to put nicer interiors in Hondas than Acuras.
Acura's have always had much nicer interiors then Honda's with the exception of maybe one or two instances like Integra/Prelude and maybe the current MDX/new Pilot. With the comparison between Toyota and Lexus the difference is just much larger because in most cases Honda interiors are nicer then Toyota interiors in design/materials from my experience so the difference between a Honda and Acura interior is not as great as a Toyota and Lexus interior.
Old 02-11-16, 09:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Saw the new civic the other day. Seriously thought it was a cross-tour from the side. Took a second look because it looked smaller and realized it was the new civic. The front and rear is ok, but that cross tour inspired hatch from the side is hideous.

Acura interiors are chintzy to say the least. Their leathers are cheap and thin. My friends 2016 MDX full loaded model comes with fake wood in a $60k vehicle. Fake wood. Seriously. Fake wood.
I don't know where you get Acura interiors being chintzy, in most cases they have been very good to class leading in some cases but the current generation of Acura's are not as nice as the previous generations. They are still relatively competitive with most of the competition but that 2 screen touchscreen unit and getting rid of buttons has hurt them. My experience is Acura leathers hold up well and they are softer then my Lexus leather.

Yes fake wood should not be used on a luxury vehicle(real wood trim available on Canadian MDX) but most "real" wood in most luxury vehicles is so overly lacquered and polished it looks fake(I still don't believe that orangish wood in my GS dash area is real wood, looks terrible and more plasticy then most simulated wood trim. That "real" wood trim in Lexus cars is just a very thin 1mm or 2mm sliver of real wood glued on a piece of plastic, not exactly high end or that impressive compared to what the British do which is a solid piece of wood for trim.
Old 02-11-16, 11:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Probably not as much as putting defective engines in the first 50,000 cars they sold like this model. That's more of a quality black eye IMO, you go in to check out and buy a new Civic.

"Oh sorry, you can't buy one because they all have defective engines that need replacement"
true. when i was about to buy a cr-v touring i had ordered, i got to the dealer to pick it up after they'd called me, and once there they said "sorry, it's in the shop, engine electronics malfunction, we have to get a part, will be a few days..." aaaand, i didn't get the cr-v.
Old 02-11-16, 12:21 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't know where you get Acura interiors being chintzy, in most cases they have been very good to class leading in some cases but the current generation of Acura's are not as nice as the previous generations. They are still relatively competitive with most of the competition but that 2 screen touchscreen unit and getting rid of buttons has hurt them. My experience is Acura leathers hold up well and they are softer then my Lexus leather.

Yes fake wood should not be used on a luxury vehicle(real wood trim available on Canadian MDX) but most "real" wood in most luxury vehicles is so overly lacquered and polished it looks fake(I still don't believe that orangish wood in my GS dash area is real wood, looks terrible and more plasticy then most simulated wood trim. That "real" wood trim in Lexus cars is just a very thin 1mm or 2mm sliver of real wood glued on a piece of plastic, not exactly high end or that impressive compared to what the British do which is a solid piece of wood for trim.
I got that impression by sitting in an Acura MDX. Current and previous generation as a matter of fact. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Hmm I have walnut wood in my GS. You might want to get that orange wood checked out. The wood in the GS is not lacquered. I wish it was so it wouldnt be such a grease magnet, especially the cupholder cover. To be honest, even though it might be a thin piece of wood, one can easily tell that it's real wood versus painted plastic. One touch and you just know. I wished all the GS comes with a wooden steering wheel.
Old 02-22-16, 04:27 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

West Coast chilling' in Honda's two-door coupe.

The Civic Coupe has been bought for decades by people of all ages as it’s an economical, practical, fun-to-drive compact. And now, it’s a survivor. In 2016 there are hardly any compact coupes left, but that hasn’t deterred Honda as this year an all-new two-door Civic is here.
Old 02-22-16, 04:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That coupe is a real looker. Just built one online with the Touring trim, loaded to the gills with things like Lane Departure Warning, Nav, LED headlamps etc.. for a shade over $28K. Well done Honda!
Old 02-22-16, 05:38 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

With the tC now killed, Toyota has no answer to the Civic Coupe. Toyota needs to revive the Celica and give it the kind of charm and practicality the 1st-gen tC had. The 86 can remain to be the more expensive, less practical and more performance-focused coupe.
Old 02-23-16, 02:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

humm, never thought I'd see LED headlights on a Civic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Just built one online with the Touring trim, loaded to the gills with things like Lane Departure Warning, Nav, LED headlamps etc.. for a shade over $28K. Well done Honda!
where did u build online?...I didn't even see the 2016 coupe on the Honda website (to build)

oops...found it... http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-s...SEDAN_SHOPPERS

Last edited by bagwell; 02-23-16 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 04:37 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That coupe is a real looker. Just built one online with the Touring trim, loaded to the gills with things like Lane Departure Warning, Nav, LED headlamps etc.. for a shade over $28K. Well done Honda!
Maybe I'm getting a bit old, but ~$30k for a (non SI) Civic?! Crazy! To think i bought one for $15k just 3 years ago.....

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Civic