Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 09:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah no kidding...I am not even ashamed to say this, but interior quality on this new civic is noticeably better then my 2012 IS-F.... granted the new IS is world's better interior quality but that tells you how far things have come.
Old 02-08-16, 04:00 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota's top trim interiors are just as good as Honda's (sometimes better), but the base trim is where Honda outshines Toyota's offerings. Besides, only Honda is crazy enough to put nicer interiors in Hondas than Acuras.
Old 02-09-16, 11:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Toyota's top trim interiors are just as good as Honda's (sometimes better), but the base trim is where Honda outshines Toyota's offerings. Besides, only Honda is crazy enough to put nicer interiors in Hondas than Acuras.
Honda has learned how to manage the effects of cost-cutting better than Toyota has, IMO. I see it on my wife's 2013 Honda Accord.

The low-level trims come with no locking glovebox, just the single-screen display audio, incandescent bulbs in the taillamps, no LED DRLs (instead using the high-beam on a lower-power setting). Bits and pieces are added as the trims go higher, to LED taillamps, LED DRLs, locking glovebox. But the softer-touch plastics in the touchy-feely places remains for all trim levels.

Toyota, however, carries the same little bits (locking glovebox for all Camrys, same taillamps across all trims, for example) across all trim levels and gives you hard plastic across the board. The result is that Toyotas look cheaper.

Toyota has to learn to cut costs where it is not so visible (glovebox lock, etc.) but give a good impression (softer-touch plastics, adjustable rear headrests, etc.) where it is visible.
Old 02-09-16, 11:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I can't stand the cross-turds but this civic is making me stare in a good way

I like this new gen. of accords and civics over the camry and corolla (and I'm a partial toyota fan)
Old 02-09-16, 11:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Have there been any updates on the stop-sale?

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I can't stand the cross-turds but this civic is making me stare in a good way

I like this new gen. of accords and civics over the camry and corolla (and I'm a partial toyota fan)
I saw a new Accord yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. It looked upscale and much nicer than in pictures. I definitely like it more than the Camry now.
Old 02-09-16, 03:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have lots of respect for Honda and Acuras but for me Toyota and Lexus materials is what I like best. Leather seats in a Lexus feel nicer to me than Leather in an Acura. I also can't stand the dash design of the last Civic.
Old 02-09-16, 10:24 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no way are Honda interior quality better than Acura interiors. Granted, the difference isn't that big. The difference between Toyota and Lexus is huge just because Toyota interior quality is just absolutely horrible, at least the toyotas that are not in the Lexus price range (corollas, camrys, rav4, and lower end Highlanders)
Old 02-10-16, 12:04 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
no way are Honda interior quality better than Acura interiors. Granted, the difference isn't that big. The difference between Toyota and Lexus is huge just because Toyota interior quality is just absolutely horrible, at least the toyotas that are not in the Lexus price range (corollas, camrys, rav4, and lower end Highlanders)
I think you are confusing interior design with interior quality. Toyco proper definitely is more pedestrian mainstream design, whereas as Hinduh is more avant garde in its styling (just witness the last gen double decker speedometer/tachometer arrangements and split LCDs). However, have you actually sat back to back and inspected the plastics and materials in the trims and seatings? Toyco is much more "professional" grade. I own a 14' RAV i am getting rid of (because i want more power), and looked at the CrV touring today. Admittedly, the cockpit was much more modern, but the materials particularly the painted silver plastics were really tacky and looked like an amateur manually did them (i can post pics later). All in all, the CRV is still a good SUV, but most of it is in design....

Ps. Here's a pic of the silver painted plastics on the steering wheel, door panels, and throughout the cabin. It is pretty rough and looks very cheap and unfinished. I was a bit suprised by this given the raving reviews for the CRV:

Name:  7C7102D4-F9B5-45A7-8CCB-DC01C4D17069_zpsjtlsljfb.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  136.1 KB

I didnt get a chance to look at the new Civic (or Pilot, which I really wanted to see)....maybe next time.

Last edited by ST430; 02-10-16 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 05:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Ps. Here's a pic of the silver painted plastics on the steering wheel, door panels, and throughout the cabin. It is pretty rough and looks very cheap and unfinished. I was a bit suprised by this given the raving reviews for the CRV:
that's a textured finish so it's meant to be like that. may not be your thing but it's not unfinished.

i almost bought a crv touring - for the money i thought it was very nice inside. you want to see cost cutting, while the highlander front row and dash is REALLY nice, the second tow and third/back area are cheap as can be. they definitely hope someone is swayed by the drive and doesn't look back there.
Old 02-10-16, 05:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Honda learned its lesson with the 2012 Civic and its excessively cheap (almost all hard-plastic) interior. The reaction to it (including my own) was so bad that the designers had to do an emergency upgrade for it within just 12 months......highly unusual in the auto industry.
Old 02-10-16, 06:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
at least the toyotas that are not in the Lexus price range (corollas, camrys, rav4, and lower end Highlanders)
Well I would hope that Lexus was better than the lower Toyotas for interior quality. If that was not the case then it would be just plain wrong. I do have to say that the Lexus GX is not the greatest interior, lots of plastic in that model. The other cars and trucks by Lexus are pretty good, expect there is fake leather all over the place in theow entry level models which IMO in unacceptable.
Old 02-10-16, 07:24 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Saw the new civic the other day. Seriously thought it was a cross-tour from the side. Took a second look because it looked smaller and realized it was the new civic. The front and rear is ok, but that cross tour inspired hatch from the side is hideous.

Acura interiors are chintzy to say the least. Their leathers are cheap and thin. My friends 2016 MDX full loaded model comes with fake wood in a $60k vehicle. Fake wood. Seriously. Fake wood.
Old 02-10-16, 08:14 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda Previews New Civic With Geneva Hatch Prototype, Announces Full Lineup

Here's our first glimpse at Honda's next-gen hatchback that's scheduled to hit the market next year.

The teaser of the Geneva-bound concept shows just the rear of the new Civic.

Most of it will, in all likelihood, make it into production, but elements such as the huge air outlets and the twin exhaust at the center presumably won't, at least in the regular models. Could we be looking at the next Type R? Too far-fetched at this early stage...

Honda will manufacture the upcoming model in its UK plant and will export it to all global markets, including the United States.

While the Civic Hatch Prototype is in for a global premiere, the Clarity Fuel Cell will make its European debut in Switzerland, following its presentation from the Tokyo Show in October. This is the first production fuel cell saloon to house its entire powertrain under the hood and promises a range of up to 435 miles (700km).

The Jazz Keenlight Concept is part of the company's Geneva Show will also be on display. It is a new design study based on the popular Jazz, which seeks to highlight its potential for customization, using sleek design elements, special decals and a new unique color, called Keenlight.

Honda celebrates the beginning of the first European customer deliveries of the new NSX in 2016 by bringing the supercar to the event, right after U.S. sales began at the Detroit Show, last month. Prospective buyers will get to enjoy the new mid-mounted DOHC with twin turbochargers, connected to a 9-speec DCT.

The CRF1000L Africa Twin motorcycle carries the "go anywhere" spirit of its predecessors and has an "agile chassis" ready for on-road and off-road adventures, and a "powerful parallel twin-cylinder engine".
Old 02-10-16, 08:15 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure why I'm excited about this, but that roof design. Oh WOW.
Old 02-10-16, 09:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Looks like they've issued the recall.

http://consumerist.com/2016/02/09/ho...-to-new-sales/

A week after directing dealers to stop selling the newest model Civic sedans after detecting a problem in the vehicles that could lead to engine failure, Honda has announced an official recall of the affected cars.

Honda issued a recall of approximately 45,000 model year 2016 Civics in the U.S. and Canada because the engine can stall while the car is in motion, The Associated Press reports.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Civic