Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota and Lexus announce prices for Toyota/Lexus Safety System

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 01:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
True. I think that's still coming down the line. Toyota needs to launch the matrix-LED headlamps first.

Yup. Mine doesn't completely stop to avoid the crash, it only mitigates it by reducing the impact speed so either way, I'll have an expensive radar to replace if anything happens up front. Also, my PCS has an upper speed range that I can't remember (it's faster than I would ever travel and close to the Prius' top speed anyway lol). The Lexus and TSS-P versions work up to the vehicle's top speed which is different.

$500 to $635 for Lexus (in the USA), and they will all have advanced version of the system.

Auto high beam is what costs $700-$900 on current Toyotas alone :-).

As to the matrix-LED, Lexus does have system on LS on Europe that blocks light partially to allow for high beams to stay on... but it is only on LS and it is very expensive, just like what matrix-led is expensive like. All those systems that costs thousands of dollars on both lexus and competition (night vision, premium led lighting, pre-crash) are far less usefull than what even a Toyota driver now can get for $300 in the USA.

Basically, the base Toyota system for $300 will have better tech than Lexus NX system that proved superior to latest MB in EuroNCAP test.... significantly better than NX, which is a LOT better than Prius for instance or old LS.

I
Old 03-31-15, 01:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's awesome toyota's looking to mainstream all the safety tech. it's going to be disruptive though in making some models look stupidly priced.

for example, the current gx, it's order only to get radar cruise, etc. and it costs a bundle extra.
Yep... I think most dealer cars will have this included. People value safety and for $300 they can get excellent safety system on Corolla! Or $500 on Camry with dynamic all speed cruise control as well. Thats a selling point at those prices.

Here in Europe, I got Auris pricing, and for Auris it will be €450 in Eastern Europe, while in western Europe it will be standard on all cars but base (fleet). Thats so cheap, it is funny. It is cheaper than most accessories - heck, thats less than what you pay for dealer installed rear parking sensors :-).

On upper models like Avensis, full system will be free in Europe.They are making it basically a selling point. This is what Volvo should have done - offer it as base part of the car, instead they are charging $3000 for less capable system... at $3000, it is not advantage point anymore.
Old 03-31-15, 01:50 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-31-15, 03:50 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really wish Lane Keep Assist would be included in this package rather than just Lane Departure Alert. I wonder how much extra costs are involved in upgrading LDA to LKA.

One would think the costs should be minimal since the motor to help steer is already there in the electric steering assist system and the rest of the upgrade should only reside in the software to make corrective steering happen.

Also blind-spot monitors are included in most of the similar packages in the competitor's offerings. Toyota should really look into including it as well.

Last edited by ydooby; 03-31-15 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 07:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Really wish Lane Keep Assist would be included in this package rather than just Lane Departure Alert. I wonder how much extra costs are involved in upgrading LDA to LKA.

One would think the costs should be minimal since the motor to help steer is already there in the electric steering assist system and the rest of the upgrade should only reside in the software to make corrective steering happen.

Also blind-spot monitors are included in most of the similar packages in the competitor's offerings. Toyota should really look into including it as well.
LKA is included in Lexus models... read the first post. I think it is also included in premium Toyota model, but I am not sure since it wasnt released on a car yet.

As to blind-spot, that uses different system that is independent of this, and i would guess it will keep being offered on most cars as it is today.
Old 03-31-15, 09:58 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like it'll be standard equipment on the 2016 Scion iA sedan (Wonder how Mazda will respond?)

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...edan+debut.htm

Oddly enough, the Scion iM won't have it (or at least, it wasn't stated in the press release)
Old 04-01-15, 04:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

It looks like it'll be standard equipment on the 2016 Scion iA sedan (Wonder how Mazda will respond?)

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...edan+debut.htm

Oddly enough, the Scion iM won't have it (or at least, it wasn't stated in the press release)
i think thats Mazda's low speed system thats much less advanced... it is not the system mentioned here.
Old 04-01-15, 09:13 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think thats Mazda's low speed system thats much less advanced... it is not the system mentioned here.

More than likely it is Mazda's system. Toyota's system may not be compatible with Mazda's ECUs, sensors and brake controls.
Old 04-03-15, 04:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Oh, interesting. Unless Toyota supplied the sensors and ECUs? I mean, it has a Toyota engine, doesn't it? (specs look similar to the 1NZ. I don't know about the 2NR)
Old 04-03-15, 06:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Oh, interesting. Unless Toyota supplied the sensors and ECUs? I mean, it has a Toyota engine, doesn't it? (specs look similar to the 1NZ. I don't know about the 2NR)
nope, it is mazda's new 1.5l engine too... I dont think Toyota supplied much of anything for it, except for the badges :-)
Old 04-04-15, 01:31 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

nope, it is mazda's new 1.5l engine too... I dont think Toyota supplied much of anything for it, except for the badges :-)
Huh, interesting.
Old 04-04-15, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Huh, interesting.
Mazda made 75hp, 90hp, 115hp (106hp in US) versions of new 1.5l engine ... car is pretty light, so it should be quick enough.
Old 04-04-15, 07:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Mazda made 75hp, 90hp, 115hp (106hp in US) versions of new 1.5l engine ... car is pretty light, so it should be quick enough.
What's considered light nowadays? The iA has got to be close to 1,200kg.
Old 04-04-15, 08:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

What's considered light nowadays? The iA has got to be close to 1,200kg.
i guess you are right... its not that light, hatch is 1045 kg, so sedan shouldnt be more than 1100kg? I mean Corolla is 1245kg, all starting weights.

Euro specs are 0-62 in 8.7s, so i guess long 2nd gear? Thats what threw me off.
Old 04-05-15, 06:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

these systems also help them get the Top Safety Pick + ratings

Quick Reply: Toyota and Lexus announce prices for Toyota/Lexus Safety System