Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota and Lexus announce prices for Toyota/Lexus Safety System

Old 03-30-15, 06:18 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol. I did not click this thread expecting a bomb to have gone off.
Old 03-30-15, 06:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol, nobody wants to choose sides? Common! we need a tie breaker
Old 03-30-15, 06:26 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all that
Old 03-30-15, 06:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Toyota announced new Corolla variants in Japan, which have simplest version of this system:

Toyota and Lexus announce prices for Toyota/Lexus Safety System-nxtnama.jpg

reason I am posting is that it is nothing like anything Toyota had before, so it is interesting... and this is version with least amount of sensors.
Old 03-30-15, 06:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Sorry, I dont believe they are the same system. There is a reason why they have two names. As I said before, CPA(or now CPA+) is only for low speed auto braking. Pre Safe Brake is for higher speeds and more active braking

From the MB headquarters website regarding CPA+:
"In addition, automatic partial braking is even initiated in the event of an imminent collision. The system is active in moving vehicles at speeds up to 105 km/h and in the case of stationary obstacles up to 70 km/h."

OTOH, Pre safe brake uses a stereo camera and from the same website:
"This system provides a visual and acoustic warning in the event of an imminent collision and brakes your vehicle in an emergency automatically to a stop"

Now, doesn't that sound like CPA+ is a weaker system that is standard across the lineup, and that it will only do "partial" braking? and the Pre safe brake will do full braking? and from my earlier post, will do so up to 200kph

There is no need to get the car retested as the test points out the vehicle is only equipped with CPA+ as standard equipment and not the optional Pre Safe.
You can show me the stats that show that distronic+ (not pre-safe, it adds nothing) improves performance of automated braking? Since it is pretty poor at 55kmh and onwards, certainly poorer than poor NX system. Canadian website finally states something like "CPA+ operates at speeds up to 200kmh if distronic+ is specified", so yes, they consider it that pre-crash and distronic use CPA+ to auto brake. Thats how MB terminology works. It is confusing since most of MB sites have no info about CPA+, i finally found it on canadian site, while international techsite has page removed.

In the meantime, I will happily state that Lexus system is likely to be far superior due to performance of current system at the speeds above 55kmh compared to MB, as well as higher operating range for pedestrian system (and while we are at it, maximum speed not just 200kmh in d+ version).

And all that while being 5x cheaper to boot
Old 03-30-15, 07:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

More info from AB:

Lexus' LSS+ will come first on the new RX then spread to four more models by the end of this year
So 5 Lexus models by end of the 2015.

DFP also said that it will come to Avalon, Rav4 and RX first, so lets add Avalon and Rav4 to the mix as well.
Old 03-30-15, 09:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also while not available in the US, MB's new auto highbeams take into account navigation data to increase light output and wide angle when at turn circles, turns the lens *before* a turning of the steering wheel at the bend, also at various speeds alters light output on highways. It sounds like the Lexus system simply switches from high to low in a drastic change, which I already have on my 2011 RX, 4 years ago. German systems actually calculate distance and varies the beam to carve out a black spot for the oncoming vehicle but keeps light output at a maximum level
Like this?

http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/4228499/

The LS' system from 2006 (Advanced PCS) included rear millimetre-wave radar for rear collision detection (and will activate the front headrests by moving them closer to the head), PCS will stiffen the suspension (if equipped with air suspension), quicken the VGRS, prime the brakes (of course), close the moonroof and windows. The Driver Attention Monitor also scans your face to alert you if it sees that you're not noticing the object ahead.

I think what spwolf is trying to say is that Toyota is able to offer these 4 things (PCS, DRCC, LDA or LDA+LKA and AHB) for a cost that's peanuts compared to its competitors. The cheapest package (TSS-C) only costs US$300 (either standard or optional) and the Lexus version costs $695. This is comparison to current or previous generation Toyota/Lexus vehicles that offered PCS/DRCC for $2,000, never mind LKA & AHB. The 2010 Prius' AT package cost $4,500, of which $1,500 was the nav/backup camera/BT streaming audio. The other $3,000 is for the PCS, DRCC, LKA and IPA.

Edit: In addition, offering PCS/DRCC as a $2,000 option in a Corolla is silly. Practically no one will take it. However, offer it as standard on the LE and increase the price by $300, that's a different story.
Old 03-30-15, 09:15 PM
RXSF

^^ yes like that, except the 695 package makes no reference to that type of auto highbeam technology.

I agree it is amazing that those system can be had for under $700 seeing as how I paid $1500 for a weaker pre collision system and radar CC just 4 years ago. However, he also said it was superior and that is where we got hung up on
Old 03-30-15, 09:29 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ yes like that, except the 695 package makes no reference to that type of auto highbeam technology.

I agree it is amazing that those system can be had for under $700 seeing as how I paid $1500 for a weaker pre collision system and radar CC just 4 years ago. However, he also said it was superior and that is where we got hung up on
True. I think that's still coming down the line. Toyota needs to launch the matrix-LED headlamps first.

Yup. Mine doesn't completely stop to avoid the crash, it only mitigates it by reducing the impact speed so either way, I'll have an expensive radar to replace if anything happens up front. Also, my PCS has an upper speed range that I can't remember (it's faster than I would ever travel and close to the Prius' top speed anyway lol). The Lexus and TSS-P versions work up to the vehicle's top speed which is different.

Last edited by Nextourer; 03-30-15 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Misread your post
Old 03-30-15, 09:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

it's awesome toyota's looking to mainstream all the safety tech. it's going to be disruptive though in making some models look stupidly priced.

for example, the current gx, it's order only to get radar cruise, etc. and it costs a bundle extra.
Old 03-30-15, 09:45 PM
RXSF

well, this will be a huge improvement in availability either way. When I was shopping for my RX, its as a special order option only. Hopefully they will keep these as stand alone options, though that seems unlikely for toyota/lexus.
Old 03-31-15, 07:05 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

So it is coming to another 4 Lexus models after RX. Can we say those models would be refreshed then? GS, ES, LX? Maybe they are counting the new LS or an IS refresh? But I guess it would be too soon for an IS refresh.
Old 03-31-15, 07:50 AM
RXSF

I dont think we can say that those models will for sure be refreshed. They can add these systems easy to existing models
Old 03-31-15, 10:16 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

The system debuted on the Japanese market Corolla Fielder and Corolla Axio models.

http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/7349179/
Old 03-31-15, 01:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ayberk
So it is coming to another 4 Lexus models after RX. Can we say those models would be refreshed then? GS, ES, LX? Maybe they are counting the new LS or an IS refresh? But I guess it would be too soon for an IS refresh.
yes, 5 models total in this year... I would guess RX, GS, ES, LX and IS. If thats how they count models... they could count GS-F as a separate model.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota and Lexus announce prices for Toyota/Lexus Safety System