Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota and Lexus announce prices for Toyota/Lexus Safety System

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 08:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Toyota and Lexus announce prices for Toyota/Lexus Safety System

LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM +

Lexus Safety System + integrates several of Lexus’s existing active safety technologies: under certain conditions the Pre-Collision System (PCS) helps prevent and mitigate collisions; Lane Departure Alert (LDA) helps prevent vehicles from departing from their lanes; and Automatic High Beam (AHB) helps ensure enhanced forward visibility during nighttime driving. As part of a multi-faceted approach to active safety, the Lexus Safety System + package combines millimeter-wave radar with a camera, achieving high reliability and performance.

Pedestrian Pre-collision System

This system uses millimeter-wave radar and a camera to detect pedestrians in addition to vehicles. To help prevent or mitigate collisions, the system activates an audio and visual alert in addition to brake assist, followed by automated braking if the driver does not brake in time. Automated braking operates at relative speeds of between 7 – 50 mph for potential collisions with pedestrians, and can reduce speed by approximately 19 mph*1. For potential collisions with vehicles, the PCS system operates at relative speeds of between 7 mph and the vehicle's top speed, reducing speed by approximately 25 mph*2.

Lane Departure Alert (LDA)

LDA uses a camera to detect visible white and yellow lane markings. If the vehicle starts to deviate from a lane, LDA alerts the driver with an audio-visual alert and steering wheel vibration. Some models are also equipped with Lane Keep Assist, which controls power steering to help make it easier for the driver to remain within lane markings.

Automatic High Beam (AHB)

AHB helps enhance forward visibility during nighttime driving. It uses a camera to detect the headlights of oncoming vehicles and the tail lights of vehicles ahead, and then automatically switches between high beams and low beams so as not to dazzle other drivers.

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)

On highways, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control uses millimeter-wave radar to detect preceding vehicles and determine their speed. It then adjusts vehicle speed (within a set range) to help maintain a pre-set distance between vehicles. By using a forward-facing camera and millimeter-wave radar to monitor vehicles moving into or out of the lane, DRCC helps maintain smooth acceleration and deceleration while driving.

"With the new LSS+ system, we offer drivers an added level of occupant safety in a conveniently bundled package that leverages some of the latest accident prevention technology,” said Jeff Bracken, Lexus Division group vice president and general manager. “We certainly expect the proliferation of these features to continue throughout the luxury vehicle market and our Lexus lineup as the industry remains steadfast in the pursuit of enhanced vehicle safety."

Pricing between $300 for cheapest TSS and $635 for most expensive LSS+. This is by far the cheapest system available while being most advanced as well.

For instance, MB C class has $2800 safety package + $800 illumination package that combines these features above ... thats over $3000 vs $635 for most expensive Lexus system.... in addition, Lexus system works at higher speeds than Mercedes for both pedestrian - 50mph vs 35mph and vehicle collisions - Unlimited vs 45mph speed. MB's system has been just introduced in past few months and has been getting good scores, Audi and BMW have inferior tech right now.

Full press release:
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...es+march30.htm

Last edited by spwolf; 03-30-15 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-30-15, 08:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

great info - can you post a link as to where it came from? thanks.
Old 03-30-15, 08:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great info - can you post a link as to where it came from? thanks.
added to the post... yep, it is pretty nice... here in Europe, it will likely come standard with most Lexus and a lot of Toyota's too... so no extra charge at all.
Old 03-30-15, 09:06 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

To be fair, the MB systems include steering assist and stop and go traffic assist which doesn't sound will be included in these packages. I think that is what the industry is moving towards, half self driving vehicles. Also, those include frontal cross traffic alerts, as well as rear collision warnings as well which will flash hazards and hold brakes upon impact. What Lexus has done is reduce price without really innovating anything past what they already had. Didn't they have pedestrian alerts already in the current LS?
Old 03-30-15, 09:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
To be fair, the MB systems include steering assist and stop and go traffic assist which doesn't sound will be included in these packages. I think that is what the industry is moving towards, half self driving vehicles. Also, those include frontal cross traffic alerts, as well as rear collision warnings as well which will flash hazards and hold brakes upon impact. What Lexus has done is reduce price without really innovating anything past what they already had. Didn't they have pedestrian alerts already in the current LS?

Ergh... why is it so hard to recognize that Lexus is innovating? I dont get it.

Let me point it out once more - this Lexus system is MORE advanced than MB system and costs $635 vs $3000+... there is no ifs or buts, it is more advanced system, period. MB can put 100 acronyms to their system, it does not matter... feature wise it is inferior at 5x the price.

Previous Lexus systems, even on LS, had far less features and were able to operate and stop at far smaller speeds. This is brand new system with brand new sensors that works at speeds bigger than any other system in cars today, let alone previous Lexus vehicles.
Old 03-30-15, 09:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
^Indeed, Toyota/Lexus's effort is weak when most other manufacturers are already offering lane keeping assist and full-stop active cruise control. They need to get with the times!
new system offers both keep assist and full cruise control... not only that, it is only system that has unlimited speed braking, where MB is limited to 45 MPH for instance, Lexus will auto brake at any speed, including 80 MPH.... MB system will not.
Old 03-30-15, 09:36 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
new system offers both keep assist and full cruise control... not only that, it is only system that has unlimited speed braking, where MB is limited to 45 MPH for instance, Lexus will auto brake at any speed, including 80 MPH.... MB system will not.
My bad. Reading failed me. Just hope they're offered in the entire model range, not just the LS and the GS. The Q50 for example offers both too.
Old 03-30-15, 09:44 AM
RXSF

Ergh... why is it so hard to recognize that Lexus is innovating? I dont get it.

Let me point it out once more - this Lexus system is MORE advanced than MB system and costs $635 vs $3000+... there is no ifs or buts, it is more advanced system, period. MB can put 100 acronyms to their system, it does not matter... feature wise it is inferior at 5x the price.

Previous Lexus systems, even on LS, had far less features and were able to operate and stop at far smaller speeds. This is brand new system with brand new sensors that works at speeds bigger than any other system in cars today, let alone previous Lexus vehicles.
I don't really understand how this is more advanced than the MB system. I will recognize Lexus innovation when I see it. This system by Lexus doesn't do anything beyond what other manufactures already have (actually does less), but does it at a lower price point. Maybe pedestrian recognition is new, but that is a fine line since Germans have their night vision systems that will bracket or highlight animals and humans on the road.

As noted in my previous post, this does not even have active steering systems that are already found on Audi and BMW. I will just use MB as an example since I am most familiar with their system, but when Lexus can meet or exceed these functions, then I will give them proper recognition.

As far as I know these systems are not available on lexus:
Frontal cross traffic alert
Active steering systems
Stop and go auto pilot for low speed traffic
Speed sign assist
Rear collision alert
auto closing windows/sunroof
auto moving front passenger seat for better crash preparedness
auto flashing hazards upon collision
auto unlocking of doors after collision

Also while not available in the US, MB's new auto highbeams take into account navigation data to increase light output and wide angle when at turn circles, turns the lens *before* a turning of the steering wheel at the bend, also at various speeds alters light output on highways. It sounds like the Lexus system simply switches from high to low in a drastic change, which I already have on my 2011 RX, 4 years ago. German systems actually calculate distance and varies the beam to carve out a black spot for the oncoming vehicle but keeps light output at a maximum level
Old 03-30-15, 09:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
My bad. Reading failed me. Just hope they're offered in the entire model range, not just the LS and the GS. The Q50 for example offers both too.
right... as the article says, it is going into EVERY Toyota/Lexus model by 2017.

;-)

Whole point is that:
a. it is most advanced system of its kind
b. It is by far the most affordable system of its kind
c. It is coming to EVERY vehicle.

All these 3 together is what makes it interesting... If it ended costing $3000, I am sure most of people would not get it (including me)... for $300-$600, "I" am getting it for sure... it is soo cheap!

European Toyota said it will be available in 70% Toyota's in next 7-8 months... Of course, Yaris will get $300 system, not full one.. still, very nice.
Old 03-30-15, 09:48 AM
RXSF

"DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist monitors both the longitudinal and lateral movements of your car at speeds of up to 200 km/h."

that translates to 124mph
http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...st/detail.html

"Approx. 0.6 seconds before: if the driver still fails to respond, the PRE-SAFEŽ Brake can initiate autonomous emergency braking to further reduce the severity of impact and the possible consequences of an accident. The system operates in the speed range from 30 to 200 km/h."
http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-121...0-0-0-0-0.html
Old 03-30-15, 09:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I don't really understand how this is more advanced than the MB system. I will recognize Lexus innovation when I see it. This system by Lexus doesn't do anything beyond what other manufactures already have (actually does less), but does it at a lower price point. Maybe pedestrian recognition is new, but that is a fine line since Germans have their night vision systems that will bracket or highlight animals and humans on the road.

As noted in my previous post, this does not even have active steering systems that are already found on Audi and BMW.
well, it is not so hard to understand - it has all the features competition has, but better.

Thats why it is more advanced... Read the info i have posted, and you will realize that.

Also - new MB models have pedestrian detection as well - your night system idea is really funny though. But MB pedestrian system operates at smaller speeds than Lexus... just like Mercedes auto-brake system operates at much smaller speeds than Lexus.

When you have one system limited to 45 mph max, and other system is Unlimited, then you have one system that is clearly far advanced than the other.

As to all the features you copied from MB website, these are mostly minor bullet points, LS had had some of these for past 10 years at least. Lexus has steering assist as well, sign recognition is coming to cheapest $300 system in Europe and rest of them is just a product of these other systems.
Old 03-30-15, 09:59 AM
RXSF

your night system idea is really funny though.
http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...13/detail.html
Old 03-30-15, 10:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

"DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist monitors both the longitudinal and lateral movements of your car at speeds of up to 200 km/h."

that translates to 124mph
http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...st/detail.html

"Approx. 0.6 seconds before: if the driver still fails to respond, the PRE-SAFEŽ Brake can initiate autonomous emergency braking to further reduce the severity of impact and the possible consequences of an accident. The system operates in the speed range from 30 to 200 km/h."
http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-121...0-0-0-0-0.html
I got it from C class page ($2800 safety package):

BASŽ PLUS uses the stereo-multipurpose camera and radar sensors of Intelligent Drive to scan the road ahead at driving speeds up to approximately 45 mph. Cross-Traffic Assist can help detect a potential collision with vehicles approaching from either side of an intersection ahead, or with pedestrians in the car's path. When the driver responds to the system's alert by braking, Brake Assist PLUS precisely applies the maximum brake force required to help prevent such an accident.
The full auto-brake system works only up to 45 mph. Notice how it says that "pre-safe brake" will only start braking up to 0.6s before crash... that seems like old Lexus LS system to me.

Also pedestrian MB system works at 10mph less speed than Lexus.

Even when you’re not using the cruise control functions of DISTRONIC PLUS, PRE-SAFEŽ Brake can help detect an impending collision and automatically apply up to 100% braking force to help reduce the severity of impact. At speeds of up to approximately 35 mph, its Pedestrian Recognition feature can help detect if pedestrians have entered in your path and automatically apply the brakes.
Seems they have inferior sensors right now.
Old 03-30-15, 10:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

what is funny is that you think nigh vision system is replacement for full auto brake system.

I have no idea why is that - Lexus has had night vision systems in Europe for a long time now, it is not auto brake system and it is very expensive.

So basically I could have said yesterday that poor Lexus auto-brake systems are fine because I can buy Lexus GS with night vision system here? Wouldnt that be funny?
Old 03-30-15, 10:05 AM
RXSF

You're getting the systems confused.

BAS is just the radar system that calculates the required distance to stop the vehicle and applies the necessary brake pressure to minimize rear collisions. That is only available until 45mph. That is different from the Pre safe brake system, which works till 200kph. Pedestrian recognition according to your quote is only active till 35mph.

Also I only copied that 0.6 statement to prove that it works until 200kph. The system does other things before then. Here is the full list of what happens.

Approx. 2.6 seconds before: visual and acoustic warning of potential collision and commensurate additional brake power from BAS PLUS when the driver steps on the brake.

•Approx. 1.6 seconds before / after three acoustic warning signals: if the driver now steps on the brake, BAS PLUS Brake Assist will provide support as required by the given situation. A rear-end collision can often be prevented in this way. If the driver fails to react, the PRE-SAFEŽ Brake will automatically initiate partial braking to attain deceleration of up to 0.4 g – corresponding to around 4 m/s˛ or approx. 40 % of the maximum braking force. The available PRE-SAFEŽ functions are additionally activated in the interior (see PRE-SAFEŽ system).

•Approx. 0.6 seconds before: if the driver still fails to respond, the PRE-SAFEŽ Brake can initiate autonomous emergency braking to further reduce the severity of impact and the possible consequences of an accident. The system operates in the speed range from 30 to 200 km/h.
So it really starts working at 1.6 seconds and applies 40% of brake power.

Quick Reply: Toyota and Lexus announce prices for Toyota/Lexus Safety System