Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 07:32 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Chargers aren't replacing the Taurus....it's the other way around.

Chargers were adopted in the mid-late 00's(at least in my small home town). The new Taurus started being adopted just a few years ago.

Of course, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department never even considered the Charger...they still run a lot of Crown Vics, with new purchases comprising of Tauruses and Explorers.
Old 03-30-15, 08:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Lincoln Continental looks like the Bentley Continental. This looks amazing!
Absolutely stunning IMO.....this Lincoln looks awesome. Funny how we went out for dinner last night and we all were gawking at a 90s Bentley Convertible on the street, when I got home I for some reason looked up old Lincoln brochures.....then today, this beautiful design......
Old 03-30-15, 08:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Love it. Take my money!

I like how they're experimenting with something other than leather inside...
Old 03-30-15, 09:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Chargers aren't replacing the Taurus....it's the other way around.

Chargers were adopted in the mid-late 00's(at least in my small home town). The new Taurus started being adopted just a few years ago.

Of course, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department never even considered the Charger...they still run a lot of Crown Vics, with new purchases comprising of Tauruses and Explorers.
i suspect that it's whatever manufacturer will give the best deal on one of their current police-packages when governments are easy to buy. Here in this area, we've got an mis-mash of leftover Crown Vics, current-generation Tauruses, last-generation Chargers, ChevyTahoes, a couple of Camaro SS'es to run down speeders (no, I'm not kidding), and even some Volvos.....the Ex-Lieutenant Governor of the state (now repressing one of the local districts in Congress) owns a string of Volvo and Kia shops.

The local cops, at least the ones I've talked to, still seem to like the Crown Vic best, even though it can't chase down speeders as well as the Camaro or Charger. (and there's not a whole lot of room to really speed or pursue in thick D.C.-area traffic anyway). The Crown Vic's tougher body on frame allows it to take more physical punishment than any of the unibody vehicles, even police-spec ones.
Old 03-30-15, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Love it. Take my money!

I like how they're experimenting with something other than leather inside...

Are you referring to the seats? The article describes them as a leather/Alcantra combination.

Wool/fleece carpets are something, BTW, that typically come with a Rolls-Royce.

Inside are the brand's most sensual materials ever, including Venetian leather seat and door panels, Alcantara® seat inserts and armrests, satin headliner and shearling wool carpet. Rose Gold trim around the instrument cluster provides warmth. Bright chrome trim on the instrument panel adds contrast.
Old 03-30-15, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I like it. Reminds me of the old Lincoln velour
Old 03-30-15, 09:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here, folks, enjoy............a couple of videos. An exterior 360 degree, and an interior with several close-ups..

Old 03-30-15, 09:39 PM
CSTU93
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the videos! Such a beautiful car... makes me miss my Lincoln.
Old 03-30-15, 09:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And another video of its pre-introducton at the New York show.

Old 03-30-15, 09:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I love it.

Looks pretty production ready...I'm sure it'll loose a lot of the cool details. Still...I would buy this.
Old 03-31-15, 02:40 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 03-31-15, 04:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Word on the street is that we can expect this Q3 2016. Being in NY is quite convenient right now.
Old 03-31-15, 05:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Love the retro feel to it on the inside especially the shaggy carpeting

Looks promising save for the usual waterfall grill
Old 03-31-15, 09:19 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess I am not the only one who thought this Lincoln Continental looked like a Bentley Continental. He's mad as hell.

Bentley designer calls Lincoln Continental a ripoff

Is Lincoln's design rebirth built on the back on Bentley? Bentley's designers seem to think so. And not because the show car is called Continental.

When the Dearborn-designed Lincoln Continental concept made its debut, more than a few observers noted its Bentley-esque overtones. Bentley designers feel the sedan is a blatant ripoff of their own Flying Spur. Just prior to the New York auto show, where the Continental concept will make its public debut, a rather heated exchange of messages took place on the Facebook pages of Bentley chief designer Luc Donckerwolke and his counterpart at Lincoln, David Woodhouse.

"I would have called it Flying Spur concept and kept the four round lights," a sarcastic Donckerwolke wrote on his Facebook page, a post that received a number of supportive comments. "I thought this was only done in China? Finally a 'Bentley for the masses' though," added another professional designer.

Donckerwolke posted a rhetorical question on David Woodhouse's Facebook page: "Do you want us to send the product tooling?" The comment was quickly deleted.

Asked to elaborate, Donckerwolke told us: "This is not respectable. Such a copy is giving a bad name to the car-design world." And his exterior design chief, Sangyup Lee, who described the Lincoln as "a joke, seriously," added, "It is very disappointing, especially for an exclusive brand like Lincoln."

The exchange reminded us of the design process of the 2005 Ford Five Hundred. As described to us, that car was shaped on the orders of former Ford chief designer J Mays, who asked his team to "take the Passat and morph it to our package." In recent years, Ford's design department has taken the liberty to reinterpret the Aston Martin grille and various Land Rover design elements, while Lincoln appears to have used the Audi Q5 as inspiration for the MKX.

The Lincoln Continental concept previews the upcoming MKS replacement, which will be based on an extended version of the Ford Fusion's front-drive platform. A slightly larger, rear-wheel-drive sedan with a fast roofline, which was to be based on the Ford Mustang, has been axed.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ntal-concept/?
Old 03-31-15, 09:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Lincoln is just happy Sangyup Lee called their brand exclusive.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental