Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 10:13 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wonder what's the spec on the 3.0L ecoboost. I thought it would have at least 3.5L.
Ford is upping the boost the make up for the smaller displacement. Look at the m3 is a 3L TT set up and it has no problem making upwards of 400hp
Old 03-30-15, 10:13 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All I can say is build it just like that, and take my money. I am not a fan of chrome, usually, but in this case with the Continental heritage (my favorite car of all time is a 4 door 68 Conti Hardtop) it is appropriate.

I will take a good AWD over rear drive in this type of car all day long. A stout 3 liter ecoboost with around 400hp and 400tq, that works too!

I even like the over blinged interior, somehow with this car it just works. Keep the show car stance and wheels. A flagship should look like a flagship and might not be everyone's taste but it makes a statement. For a Lincoln, that has been on its death bed for years, this makes a statement.
Old 03-30-15, 10:29 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep.....that's beautiful.
this is not the 1950s, and all that chrome just means a lot of glare when the sun hits it (also a problem with many older people), Of course, IMO, there is nothing wrong with chrome in general (I like it myself)....but this console clearly overdoes it.

BTW, great post, TangoRed.
Agree it is a bit overdone but applaud doing something a bit different and a throw back to the 50's-60's which to me are some of the cooler interiors of all time. Maybe Ford will do as they claim they did on the new F150 and model all of the sun angles and lighting and adjust the surfaces to make sure the chrome does not cause glare to the driver. I could see the chrome being some sort of silver-ish real wood, that would look cool as well and solve some of the glare issue.
Old 03-30-15, 11:49 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I love how they dropped this to NY, new home of crappylac.

First the new Ford GT and now this. Go Ford Go.

Another super Positve sign that someone in the USccar industry is sick and tired of having sand kicked in their faces ( and deservedly so) and is bringing some real goods to market.

While I would have preferred to see a V8 included in the story board, the executive class rear seating details got my attention.
Old 03-30-15, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

Another super Positve sign that someone in the USccar industry is sick and tired of having sand kicked in their faces ( and deservedly so) and is bringing some real goods to market.
The GM and Chrysler bankruptcies several years ago opened a lot of previously closed eyes, and showed that the previous status quo was simply not acceptable any longer. Ford managed to avoid an actual bankruptcy, but was shaken to the core, inside and out, in the process.

While I would have preferred to see a V8 included in the story board, the executive class rear seating details got my attention.
The upcoming CAFE and emission laws are probably going to spell the end of V8s for all except some dedicated-high-performance cars, full-size SUVs, and larger work trucks.
Old 03-30-15, 12:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

You can blame gov't and rising fuel prices for the lack of a V8(which I also mourn).

My uncle had a mid-late 90's Continental with the 32V 4.6L V8. He really enjoyed it. It rode really nice, but like most Lincolns of that day, the air suspension was expensive and prone to failure. He eventually replaced it with a Mk VII.

This car excites me. Better not be FWD.
Old 03-30-15, 02:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
All I can say is build it just like that, and take my money. I am not a fan of chrome, usually, but in this case with the Continental heritage (my favorite car of all time is a 4 door 68 Conti Hardtop) it is appropriate.

I will take a good AWD over rear drive in this type of car all day long. A stout 3 liter ecoboost with around 400hp and 400tq, that works too!

I even like the over blinged interior, somehow with this car it just works. Keep the show car stance and wheels. A flagship should look like a flagship and might not be everyone's taste but it makes a statement. For a Lincoln, that has been on its death bed for years, this makes a statement.
yep, as long as they keep it as much like this, they have a winner here... hopefully it wont end up looking like every other Lincoln so far.
Old 03-30-15, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
You can blame gov't and rising fuel prices for the lack of a V8(which I also mourn).
Actually, fuel prices in the U.S. are presently quite low, but you have a point with Big Brother. It's possible, though, that some of the decisions to phase out V8s were made before fuel prices dropped this much.

My uncle had a mid-late 90's Continental with the 32V 4.6L V8. He really enjoyed it. It rode really nice, but like most Lincolns of that day, the air suspension was expensive and prone to failure. He eventually replaced it with a Mk VII.
Many Continental and Town Car owners, back then, simply converted the rear to a conventional suspension when that happened (in fact, Ford sold kits for it). That was because, as you point out, repairing or replacing the air suspension was often more complex and expensive than converting it.

Motorweek's Pat Goss, the show's Lead Technician, on his own call-in TV and radio shows, often gets this question from owners of older Lincolns, and is often addressing that problem and how to get the kit from Ford.

The OP article doesn't say, but, except for the now-discontinued Cadillac DTS/STS and Buick Lucerne, it's uncommon for a sedan that size to have FWD. In fact, though, if you look at the interior shots, that may (?) be one clue......that big, high, full-length front-to-rear console and individual seats in back, perhaps (?) from a high RWD transmission/drive-shaft tunnel. We won't know for sure, of course, until they release more info on it.....but I'd guess RWD or AWD more than FWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-15 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 04:27 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

looks quite meh.
Too cabforwardy.

I want to see engine compartment shots to see if this is FWD based.
Old 03-30-15, 04:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Originally Posted by pman6
lI want to see engine compartment shots to see if this is FWD based.
Again, this is on the stretched Fusion (CD4) platform. This platform is natively FWD but the Continental will be AWD-only.
Old 03-30-15, 04:40 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks cool, i like it.

Probably wouldn't buy one but would enjoy seeing it on the road.
Old 03-30-15, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This platform is natively FWD but the Continental will be AWD-only.
Do you have anything concrete on that? The OP you posted was excellent, but didn't get into the drivetrain much. As I told a couple of posters, though, the long high console inside suggests (maybe) a RWD transmission tunnel.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 05:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks exquisite! The future of Lincoln is suddenly very interesting.
Old 03-30-15, 05:16 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you have anything concrete on that? The OP you posted was excellent, but didn't get into the drivetrain much. As I told a couple of posters, though, the long high console inside suggests (maybe) a RWD transmission tunnel.
No concrete info on the AWD-only (just that its 100% going to have it), but let's just say I'd gamble a whole month's pay that its riding on the Fusion's CD4 platform. Here's some Car and Driver gossip, but that's not where I got this info. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/lin...-revealed-news

Here's the upcoming Taurus (also riding on the stretched Fusion platform), just for fun:

Old 03-30-15, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Here's the upcoming Taurus (also riding on the stretched Fusion platform), just for fun:
You can take it to the bank that the cops will be interested in that one....although some of them now have Hemi-powered Chargers.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental