Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 06:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yeah but maybe they don't want the auto press to weigh in on this car yet. Possibly they just want the public to hear about the car through other channels before they let the usual suspects shape opinions on the Continental. Some road tests are embargoed so once the magazine ads come out and social media responds, then you'll see the auto press articles.

It's a reversal of the usual timeline: auto media first on exclusive tests, ads, and nowadays social media.
it won't make any difference.

Old 10-11-16, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

It's a little early to be making that kind of prediction, bit. That's like people saying Donald Trump would never get past the primaries LOL.
Old 10-11-16, 10:00 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Interesting recall.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/11/2...usauto00000016
Old 10-11-16, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a review and part of an actual test-drive, though IMO not a very good test-drive. I do agree with the reviewer, though, that most of today's luxury cars are just not physically large enough.

This appears to be a private review/test/drive, though, not part of the formal auto press.

Old 10-11-16, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's another test-drive, but, again, IMO not a very good or accurate one. The guy sounds like he's being paid by the manufacturer to be a rolling billboard for the car. For one thing, he doesn't note the car's easily-audible engine/exhaust noise level on acceleration (by luxury-car standards).

Old 10-11-16, 05:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Hardly a recall worth publishing. Auto blog should know better. They were a better publication a few years back.
Old 10-11-16, 06:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hardly a recall worth publishing. Auto blog should know better. They were a better publication a few years back.
Totally agree- I've actually been shocked at some of the trash they've put out in 2016.
Old 10-11-16, 08:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Totally agree- I've actually been shocked at some of the trash they've put out in 2016.
+1. Their website used to be the best source of info. Best articles, best news, best reviews, best podcast, and best pictures. Can't say they are the best in anything anymore. Their whole podcast team seemed to change, and the layout of the website is not the greatest since their big overhaul. Oh well.
Old 10-12-16, 10:23 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lincoln Recalls 2017 Continental Models Over Headlight Issue

Ford has just announced a recall for the 2017 Lincoln Continental due to an issue with the headlights.

According to the manufacturer, the HID headlights installed into the new Continental could have been fitted with an LED lens that fails to comply with federal visibility requirements for turn signals.

Fortunately for Ford, production of the Continental only started in the middle of the year so the scope of the recall is relatively small.

All up, 1,876 vehicles are affected and of those, 1,826 reside in the United States while 49 are found in Canada and one in an unnamed federalized territory. Importantly, only around 300 of these cars have been delivered to customers.

To resolve the issue, Ford will simply replace the defective headlight units free of charge.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/lin...al-models.html
Old 10-20-16, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A number of monthly magazines showed up today at my office. The new Annie Leibovitz ads are starting to appear. Gotta say, I like the marketing so far for this car.
Old 10-20-16, 06:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I sat in one a couple days ago. The interior was really nice, had this dark, matte finish wood with cream leather, lots of chrome, IMO it was a really nice design. I thought the gauge cluster was a bit small if you compare it to those trick LCD displays Audi and Benz have in some of their cars now days.

As for the exterior, they finally fixed that ugly butterfly grill design Lincoln had been using. The front clip looks great, the rest of the car is rather ho-hum, looks like the same car Lincoln has been building for the past several years. It did have good visibility with big windows, but very slab sided doors/flanks. Reminds me a bit of a 1990's Mercedes S-class or an early 2000's Avalon when viewed from the side.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment with this car was its size. Its a Lincoln, its supposed to be a big, hulking car, I was hoping it would be substantially bigger than the other big luxury cars. But nope, there is no stretched wheelbase variant, the rear seat isn't as big as say a Benz S-class, an Audi A8, LS 460 LWB and its a good 6-8" shorter than those cars as well(and I think Audi and Benz only sell the LWB variants here in the states now days). Trunk is small too, smaller than the MKS which it replaces. I'm not advocating for something as big as a Town Car, but that would've been something Lincoln could've set themselves apart with, make it bigger than the competition.
Old 10-20-16, 10:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I sat in one a couple days ago. The interior was really nice, had this dark, matte finish wood with cream leather, lots of chrome, IMO it was a really nice design. I thought the gauge cluster was a bit small if you compare it to those trick LCD displays Audi and Benz have in some of their cars now days.

As for the exterior, they finally fixed that ugly butterfly grill design Lincoln had been using. The front clip looks great, the rest of the car is rather ho-hum, looks like the same car Lincoln has been building for the past several years. It did have good visibility with big windows, but very slab sided doors/flanks. Reminds me a bit of a 1990's Mercedes S-class or an early 2000's Avalon when viewed from the side.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment with this car was its size. Its a Lincoln, its supposed to be a big, hulking car, I was hoping it would be substantially bigger than the other big luxury cars. But nope, there is no stretched wheelbase variant, the rear seat isn't as big as say a Benz S-class, an Audi A8, LS 460 LWB and its a good 6-8" shorter than those cars as well(and I think Audi and Benz only sell the LWB variants here in the states now days). Trunk is small too, smaller than the MKS which it replaces. I'm not advocating for something as big as a Town Car, but that would've been something Lincoln could've set themselves apart with, make it bigger than the competition.
I see your argument about the size. However the Continental from the 80s and 90s was always smaller than the Town Car. So, this new Continental hits that mark.
Old 10-20-16, 11:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I see your argument about the size. However the Continental from the 80s and 90s was always smaller than the Town Car. So, this new Continental hits that mark.
And the Continental from the 80's/90's were completely unremarkable, forgettable crap. You ask somebody to draw a Lincoln or if somebody mentions a Lincoln, guaranteed first thing that pops in their mind is the Town Car. That was what Lincoln was all about since the 1980's up until they killed it a few years ago. It was a unique dinosaur, mainly remembered for being really big and roomy. Wish they had channeled some of that into the new Continential.
Old 10-21-16, 06:05 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And the Continental from the 80's/90's were completely unremarkable, forgettable crap. You ask somebody to draw a Lincoln or if somebody mentions a Lincoln, guaranteed first thing that pops in their mind is the Town Car. That was what Lincoln was all about since the 1980's up until they killed it a few years ago. It was a unique dinosaur, mainly remembered for being really big and roomy. Wish they had channeled some of that into the new Continential.
Nope, first thing that pops into my mind and probably allot of others is the slab sided Continental of the 60's. IMHO this is the last truly great, world class, car Lincoln ever made.
Old 10-21-16, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Nope, first thing that pops into my mind and probably allot of others is the slab sided Continental of the 60's. IMHO this is the last truly great, world class, car Lincoln ever made.
The giant Continentals of the 1960s actually went on until 1979. It was among the last of the really big full-size American cars to downsize. In fact, a "Collector's Edition" was done that year especially for those who wanted to get one before they downsized probably forever.

Aron is generally correct. Though not necessarily junk, the last FWD Taurus-based Continental of the 90s was not considered a very impressive car by luxury standards, had a rather cheap interior, and, in most ways, was completely overshadowed by the Town Car. I agree that the new 2017 Continental could have been a little larger....but then, that argument can also be made for the Cadillac CT6, its closest competitor. And, while the new Continental is also a FWD Taurus-based platform, it not only offers the AWD that the old one didn't, but, most would agree, is far classier-styled inside and out....much more of a true luxury car.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental