Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Old 01-12-16, 01:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Press release says 30 way adjustable seats.
Whoa that's pretty cool. The seats must have their own manual
Old 01-12-16, 05:04 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I like it.
Old 01-12-16, 07:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I guess the only way to have it would be blue on blue, it is the only one that looks decent to me and seems to follow the spirit of the concept most truthfully. Agree the other interior options look terribly bland.
Blue interior looks good with lots of colors. White/blue, silver/blue, grey/blue, black/blue, navy blue/blue obviously.

Anyways, other than the awesome interior color, I'm not that impressed. The funky door handles are ugly, and the design just isn't quite working for me. Its very generic from the sides, the front clip looks like a Maserati Quatropottle, its just a mess IMO The dash is rather boring and uninspired, it does look like a guzzied up Ford, but then again that's been a Lincoln tradition going back to the 1970's.

Anyways, I might forgive all of these sins if they bring back the Bill Blass special edition with that awesome blue interior.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-12-16 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 07:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Great picture. it brings back memories. But the landau roof, faux continental kit and opera windows might be a tough sell these days.
Old 01-12-16, 08:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Great picture. it brings back memories. But the landau roof, faux continental kit and opera windows might be a tough sell these days.
Oh I just want the two tone color scheme.
Old 01-13-16, 04:32 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Blue interior looks good with lots of colors. White/blue, silver/blue, grey/blue, black/blue, navy blue/blue obviously.

Anyways, other than the awesome interior color, I'm not that impressed. The funky door handles are ugly, and the design just isn't quite working for me. Its very generic from the sides, the front clip looks like a Maserati Quatropottle, its just a mess IMO The dash is rather boring and uninspired, it does look like a guzzied up Ford, but then again that's been a Lincoln tradition going back to the 1970's.

Anyways, I might forgive all of these sins if they bring back the Bill Blass special edition with that awesome blue interior.

This is exactly what Lincoln does NOT need. They need to get way from any reference to Lincolns of the 70's and 80's if they plan to survive as a company. Most of the people who bought those old boats are now dead.
Old 01-13-16, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Most of the people who bought those old boats are now dead.
Don't bet the monthly rent on it.
Old 01-13-16, 06:58 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hah, said "most", not all.

If people really desire the "old Lincoln" there are plenty of these old barges driven by granny once a week to church that can be picked up on the cheap. From my perspective you either do Lincoln as it was at its peak in the 1960's (some of the best land yachts of all time) or you take the Tata Jaguar route and say, we need to get up to current times if we want to survive.
Old 01-13-16, 07:30 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ I see this new Continental, I can't help but think Lincoln is still lost in the fog of mediocrity and irrelevance that they've been in for the past 30 years or so. Like it or not, that 1979 Mark V I posted was their heyday.
Old 01-13-16, 07:32 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Ugh! With those big rims it looks like bozo the clown would be driving it.
Old 01-13-16, 10:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although I'll reserve final judgement until I actually see and feel the materials the Continental dash is made of (hopefully at the D.C. auto show next week), from the images at least, I don't know how you guys can say that. This is arguably the best-lookng interior (and dash) I've seen from Ford in a long time. And the interiors of the MKC and new MKX aren't bad either. But before that, though.....yeah, I'll agree....Lincolns were pretty unimpressive.
Yeah, it's definitely not fair by judging it from the picture. There's no dash stroking involved either
Old 01-13-16, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Ugh! With those big rims it looks like bozo the clown would be driving it.
Good point. Some of the wheels/tires on today's cars have gotten absurdly large.
Old 01-16-16, 06:32 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This article on the Lincoln and their "Quiet Comfortable" theme is kind of funny. Lots of Lexus references in the comments and I agree, nothing wrong with going this route (which does pay homage to the old luxo-barges of the past).

While other brands brings out that emotion, Lexus, in my opinion, has always leaned towards that comfort and reliability persona. I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all and the reason why I purchased this car to begin with, but car buying is done on emotion and lust more so than sensibility, that's for sure so I can see why Lexus is trying to reinvent itself, although I hope it doesn't stray too far, as here comes Lincoln's "Quiet Comfortable" aiming at the crowd that Lexus firmly holds. Hopefully Lexus doesn't abandon ship and move completely away to the Teutonic-side as these comfortably quiet cars hold a desirability beyond your typical grandpa and grandma (like me, lol).

http://jalopnik.com/is-the-2017-linc...tio-1752792250

I think this is a brilliant idea. Way too many luxury cars nowadays are trying way too hard to be sporty. Some people just want a couch to drive to work and back. That’s why I bought a 1995 BMW 750il to replace my sorta-sporty 2003 540i/6 M-Sport. I don’t want to feel every crack in the road in my supposedly luxurious car.
Lol, my thoughts exactly as my LS is my couch to work and I love it!

I don’t mean to offend anyone, although I probably will - but doesn’t Lexus fill this niche already with the ES and LS? I’ve ridden in both and they reminded me of the used 70s American cars my grad school friends and I drove in the early 80s. Quiet, smooth power, very little sense of the hurly burly going on outside.

I drive performance cars myself, but you’re right: what are they doing for me on I66 in metro DC rush hour?
Exactly, people like to dream of being in a "race car," but frankly the time spent actually doing this is probably negligible versus everyday driving. I guess having a capability that will hardly, if ever get used, is what spending more than you really need is all about. But alas, driving over the ruts and potholes quickly erases any values of having that sporty car in my opinion.
Old 01-16-16, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shambler
Hopefully Lexus doesn't abandon ship and move completely away to the Teutonic-side as these comfortably quiet cars hold a desirability beyond your typical grandpa and grandma (like me, lol).

Lol, my thoughts exactly as my LS is my couch to work and I love it!

Exactly, people like to dream of being in a "race car," but frankly the time spent actually doing this is probably negligible versus everyday driving. I guess having a capability that will hardly, if ever get used, is what spending more than you really need is all about. But alas, driving over the ruts and potholes quickly erases any values of having that sporty car in my opinion.

Some people just want a couch to drive to work and back.
+1

It seems like most auto manufacturers don't seem to understand this simple truth any more. Among sedans, the Kia K900, Hyundai Eqqus, 2Gen Hyundai Genesis, Lexus LS460, and Mercedes S-class seem to understand ride-comfort the best....and all but the K900 and Equus combine it with decent handling. We'll see, however, how the new Continental and Cadillac CT6 rate in ride comfort, though.
Old 01-16-16, 08:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
+1

It seems like most auto manufacturers don't seem to understand this simple truth any more. Among sedans, the Kia K900, Hyundai Eqqus, 2Gen Hyundai Genesis, Lexus LS460, and Mercedes S-class seem to understand ride-comfort the best....and all but the K900 and Equus combine it with decent handling. We'll see, however, how the new Continental and Cadillac CT6 rate in ride comfort, though.
mmarshall, the manufacturer's in fact do understand what you are saying. BUT currently ride comfort and how smooth, soft, and floaty a car might be is not in style. Right now it's all about "sport" and driving "FEEL" and less about the absence of everything else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental