Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 08:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Just to be fair, the pictures posted above are definitely a Black Label Continental despite the author claiming it was a reserve model.
Old 02-23-17, 11:41 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Starting to see a few lightly modded Conti's. This one isn't bad. Not a big fan of the "murdered out" look, but still starting to see some ideas of what to do with them.
Old 02-23-17, 12:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST

Starting to see a few lightly modded Conti's. This one isn't bad. Not a big fan of the "murdered out" look, but still starting to see some ideas of what to do with them.
That looks really good.
Old 02-23-17, 12:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Looks like a police spec Taurus to me lol
Old 02-23-17, 12:52 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Looks like a police spec Taurus to me lol
Hmm, looks like a Bentley Flying Spur to me, I guess it truly is "in the eye of the beholder."

And I actually prefer the Lincoln headlights over the Bentley.
Old 02-23-17, 12:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmm, looks like a Bentley Flying Spur to me, I guess it truly is "in the eye of the beholder."

And I actually prefer the Lincoln headlights over the Bentley.
I agree. The Linclon headlights are better. The new Continental is one nice machine.
Old 02-23-17, 01:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Reminds me of the Mercury Marauder albeit in a Lincoln suit
Old 02-23-17, 01:07 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I will buy that, in an "updated" Lincoln suit. I can't wait to see someone put a tune on the 3.0TT, it should scoot. I believe Livernois already has a tune for the MKZ 3.0TT. Not saying to turn it into a hotrod, just to go with the old Rolls Royce idea of "adequate power" for any situation.
Old 02-23-17, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I will buy that, in an "updated" Lincoln suit. I can't wait to see someone put a tune on the 3.0TT, it should scoot. I believe Livernois already has a tune for the MKZ 3.0TT. Not saying to turn it into a hotrod, just to go with the old Rolls Royce idea of "adequate power" for any situation.
It just has that suave look hah!

The current 3.0TT pushes 400hp (flywheel). What do you think a decent tune would net?
Old 02-23-17, 01:44 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

It just has that suave look hah!

The current 3.0TT pushes 400hp (flywheel). What do you think a decent tune would net?
Looks like 475 flywheel easy, and with a few supporting mods I bet they have no problem hitting over 500 flywheel. Check out the link below. You really could build a monster Lincoln, the limiting factor will be the transmission.

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/i...available-now/
Old 02-23-17, 02:12 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Yeah the ecoboost V6 has been out for a while now, so should have lots of aftermarket support. I remember guys buying the Ecoboost Ford Flex years ago and with a tune and a couple of other bolt on parts they were running low 13 second et's. That's with like less than a thousand dollars worth of parts and tune, dropped two seconds off the et.

Maybe the best thing about this new Continential(and now that the MKZ has the ecoboost V6 as well) is the return of the hot-rod Lincoln. Finally something exciting under the hood of your Lincoln. Last time they did that was back in the 90's with the 4.6 DOCH V8

Old 02-23-17, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Yeah the ecoboost V6 has been out for a while now, so should have lots of aftermarket support. I remember guys buying the Ecoboost Ford Flex years ago and with a tune and a couple of other bolt on parts they were running low 13 second et's. That's with like less than a thousand dollars worth of parts and tune, dropped two seconds off the et.

Maybe the best thing about this new Continential(and now that the MKZ has the ecoboost V6 as well) is the return of the hot-rod Lincoln. Finally something exciting under the hood of your Lincoln. Last time they did that was back in the 90's with the 4.6 DOCH V8

Well, two things. First, this TT V6 ups the power-to-weight ratio significantly over even the 4.6L V8 back then (along, of course, with a more efficient transmission), so, in effect, this is even more of a "Hot Rod Lincoln". Second, I may be wrong, but I don't think the TT V6 going to be that big a seller. Presumably because of the torque-steer issue, that engine, with its 400 ft-lbs. of torque, is limited to only the AWD models......and probably a large majority of the MKZ's buyer-base is similar to that of the Lexus ES; not really looking for a lot of power or performance. I suspect that engine will actually sell better in the larger and heavier Continental.

One issue that I mentioned in my recent MKZ test-drive, though, is that IMO Lincoln used the wrong base engine for the MKZ....a 2.0T four. It should have gotten a N/A V6 as base, with the TT as an option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-17 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 03:29 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, two things. First, this TT V6 ups the power-to-weight ratio significantly over even the 4.6L V8 back then (along, of course, with a more efficient transmission), so, in effect, this is even more of a "Hot Rod Lincoln". Second, I may be wrong, but I don't think the TT V6 going to be that big a seller. Presumably because of the torque-steer issue, that engine, with its 400 ft-lbs. of torque, is limited to only the AWD models......and probably a large majority of the MKZ's buyer-base is similar to that of the Lexus ES; not really looking for a lot of power or performance. I suspect that engine will actually sell better in the larger and heavier Continental.

One issue that I mentioned in my recent MKZ test-drive, though, is that IMO Lincoln used the wrong base engine for the MKZ....a 2.0T four. It should have gotten a N/A V6 as base, with the TT as an option.
My understanding is that Ford used the front diff similar to the torque vectoring type unit and front spindle design used in the Focus RS, which eliminates the front axle torque steer issues. AWD also should help eliminate it over say FWD only. You are however correct most Lincoln buyers will not modify their Lincoln and only a select few will dive into the engine. However, to people like me who have a soft spot for the Continental, and like this design, the ability to put down more power is always welcome. As our boys get older the ISF, which is already getting tight, will not work, this may be a viable option for a bigger car yet retain the fun of the extra power. (Don't worry, we plan to still keep the ISF, that is one car I don't plan to get rid of) Lincolns tend to depreciate quite steeply, bad for new buyers, great for a used buyer like me. I may now drive a Ram but my last truck was an F150 with a Procharger running 12lbs of inter-cooled boost. My current project car is a '65 Falcon Hardtop which will also be running a boosted Ford V8 somewhere in the 600hp range. So you could say I am both a fan of Fords and a fan of boost, a nice powerful stealth Continental would be right up my alley. BTW, I am only slightly over half the age of the "typical" Lincoln buyer.
Old 02-23-17, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My understanding is that Ford used the front diff similar to the torque vectoring type unit and front spindle design used in the Focus RS, which eliminates the front axle torque steer issues. AWD also should help eliminate it over say FWD only.
Like I said, though, they don't even offer the TT with FWD......for the reasons you indicate.

You are however correct most Lincoln buyers will not modify their Lincoln and only a select few will dive into the engine.
Yes, with few exceptions, it's basically a sedate brand for sedate drivers.

My current project car is a '65 Falcon Hardtop which will also be running a boosted Ford V8 somewhere in the 600hp range.
A Falcon Futura? That was the top-of-the-line trim-model. I remember it well (my first year of high school). Back then, the largest engine you could get stock on a Falcon was a four-barrel 289 V8 (same as the Non-Shelby Mustang of the period) with 271 HP. With four-on-the-floor, and the bucket-seat option, it made for an interesting little pocket-rocket. The slightly larger 302 V8 came a few years later, and then the Falcon was replaced by the Maverick.

I sampled a couple of mid-60s Falcon V8s back then.....I can just imagine yours with 600 HP.
Old 02-23-17, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. You probably came up with the best description, Hoovey.....at least for the exterior. Inside, though, the latest Continental is a sea of chrome and flash, where the interior of the last-generation Marauder is almost as solidly black as the inside of a coal mine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-17 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental