Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 06:41 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The giant Continentals of the 1960s actually went on until 1979. It was among the last of the really big full-size American cars to downsize. In fact, a "Collector's Edition" was done that year especially for those who wanted to get one before they downsized probably forever.
I would love to own a 66' Continental, I would not be caught dead in any of the versions past 1970. I agree they remained large, but by the early 1970's they were no longer a world class ride and were no different than all the other crap the US automakers turned out in the mid 1970's. The mid to late 70's and early 80's were not a high point for the US auto industry for style, performance, or luxury.
Old 10-21-16, 03:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Nope, first thing that pops into my mind and probably allot of others is the slab sided Continental of the 60's. IMHO this is the last truly great, world class, car Lincoln ever made.
Probably depends on how old you are as to if you remember the 60's Continental. Outside of a car show, I've never seen one on the street. And I agree the 70's Lincolns were not nearly as good as the 60's cars(same thing could be said about Cadillac, Imperial, or your basic Chevy). However those 70's Lincolns and Caddys did have their own sort of vulgar charm, with the wild paint colors, obnoxious size, pillow topped seats, crazy interior designs and fabrics, just over the top. And the big 70's Lincolns and Caddys were pretty reliable and robust mechanically, its just the fit/finish on all the trim bits were just slapped together and done in a rather cheap fashion(once again part of the charm). By the 80's when they started sticking smaller motors in them is when they really went to crap and Lincoln never really has recovered from that downfall IMO.
Old 10-21-16, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Probably depends on how old you are as to if you remember the 60's Continental. Outside of a car show, I've never seen one on the street. And I agree the 70's Lincolns were not nearly as good as the 60's cars(same thing could be said about Cadillac, Imperial, or your basic Chevy). However those 70's Lincolns and Caddys did have their own sort of vulgar charm, with the wild paint colors, obnoxious size, pillow topped seats, crazy interior designs and fabrics, just over the top. And the big 70's Lincolns and Caddys were pretty reliable and robust mechanically, its just the fit/finish on all the trim bits were just slapped together and done in a rather cheap fashion(once again part of the charm). By the 80's when they started sticking smaller motors in them is when they really went to crap and Lincoln never really has recovered from that downfall IMO.

I had the privilege, when I was in high school, of sampling (alone) a brand-new 1969 Lincoln Continental. Though its road manners were basically those of a battleship, I don't think I've ever in my life sampled a more coddling machine in sheer comfort over bumps....even with the much-later Lexus LS. Unlike many teens of that period, I had little interest in speeding or drag-racing, a healthy respect for what can happen with irresponsible driving, and generally had a reputation as a good driver. My dad, when he retired from the Army, worked for the old Philco-Ford company, and would bring home big, company-owned Mercury Marquis/Park Lane and Thunderbird luxury cars, and would let me try them out, because he knew I would be careful. One night he brought home a brand new 1969 Continental...a company Vice-President's car. He tossed me the keys, and, with a grin, said "Here, Mike...but be extra careful". Oh my Gosh, what a ride. I took it out on the Interstate to Dulles Airport and back...and put a few gallons of 100-octane premium in it (which didn't go very far LOL). But driving that thing was like being on the Queen Mary.
Old 10-24-16, 11:53 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm only 37, so the great years of the Continental were way before my time. That being said I appreciate great automobiles, and I believe both the 1960's Coupe Deville and Continental were some of the finest examples of the American land barge.
Old 10-24-16, 10:56 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this will go by the way of the linciln LS and ford taurus. Huuuuuge depreciation for sure. wait a few years uf you have to have it.

the front wheel drive porportion on a big car is not very appealing.
Old 10-25-16, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tantrix
this will go by the way of the linciln LS and ford taurus. Huuuuuge depreciation for sure. wait a few years uf you have to have it.

the front wheel drive porportion on a big car is not very appealing.
I'm not sure I agree. Cadillac certainly sold a lot of big FWD sedans and coupes with the transverse-mount 4.6L Northstar V8....DeVille, DTS, Seville, Eldorado, etc.....And many of those cars were larger than the new Continental.

Although not entirely without merit (especially with some Mercedes and BMW die-hards), this idea that big full-size (and especially luxury-grade) cars have to have RWD is an idea that seems more rooted in the automotive press than in reality.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-25-16 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 09:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm not sure I agree. Cadillac certainly sold a lot of big FWD sedans and coupes with the transverse-mount 4.6L Northstar V8....DeVille, DTS, Seville, Eldorado, etc.....And many of those cars were larger than the new Continental.
The last time any of these sold any volume was a decade ago, and it was only the geriatric DTS that did so. The majority of THOSE sales were undoubtedly fleet units, as I've gotten DTS rentals on several occasions.

Although not entirely without merit (especially with some Mercedes and BMW die-hards), this idea that big full-size (and especially luxury-grade) cars have to have RWD is an idea that seems more rooted in the automotive press than in reality.
You've got ample evidence right here in this thread that luxury buyers don't want a FWD flagship. If you want more evidence, look at the sales volume for the Acura RL, which exceeded 10k units only twice in its entire lifetime. or the RLX, which peaked at 5,053 units. Or the Lincoln MKS. Or the fact that Audi doesn't even bother to import a FWD variant of the A8, despite the fact that it, like all of their models, is FWD-based and they DO import FWD variants of the rest of the lineup. They don't bother, because they know it wouldn't sell.
Old 10-25-16, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Like geko said, that was many years ago and many sales were fleet sales, the industry is different today.

Then why have there been no successful transverse/FWD sedans in these higher end luxury price points? Companies have tried, without success. Why would Cadillac have invested as much as they have in bespoke RWD platforms if FWD platforms would have fit the bill just fine?

Cadillac is on the right path, Lincoln remains in the weeds.
Old 10-25-16, 11:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I just read Automobile Magazine's review of the Continental. I found many of the same comments in their review as I've seen in this thread. Some examples:
Staring at the back end of a 2017 Lincoln Continental, Lincoln’s all-new flagship model, I was struck by its sculpted C-pillars and purposeful rear fenders, the neatly integrated exhaust trim and slick hidden door handles, and the wide, linear L I N C O L N script running across the upper trunk lid. But then I noticed the Continental’s bulky, balky, front-wheel drive-proportions...

The impressive design of the Continental concept didn’t transition to production; the relationship between the height of the front fenders and A-pillars, as well as the position of the front wheels, is funky. Building on a rear-wheel-drive platform probably could’ve helped the Continental’s proportions, but Lincoln used the same basic architecture that underpins the rest of its car lineup. Too bad.
I also expected more from the 2017 Lincoln Continental’s overall build quality. The panel gaps, at least on this particular production Continental, were inconsistent. For example, the front fender didn’t come close to lining up with the driver’s door.
While I applaud Lincoln for using dedicated function buttons instead of burying them in touchscreen submenus, the Continental has too many buttons, especially on the climate control panel. On the whole, the cabin has too much shiny chrome and glossy wood trim for my taste, and the less-than-stellar attention to detail, especially in spots like the rear seat center armrest and center console storage compartment door, surprised me.
Its steering exaggerated the front-wheel-drive nature of the Continental, especially at low speeds. The car lacks the balanced, highly engineered feel you find in the leading luxury cars in the segment. But overall the 2017 Lincoln Continental is a pleasant, refined automobile that enjoys being driven at a reasonable pace. Lincoln loyalists especially will be very impressed with it.
But on the broader automotive stage, the Continental is a small step forward for a brand that needed a leap. Ultra-comfortable seats, fancy doors, and powerful engines only go so far. There’s nothing wrong with Lincoln’s “quiet luxury” mantra, and there’s room for a brand that’s about a traditional American luxury approach. But a flagship Lincoln needs to get the details right and improve on the little things before it can enjoy more rarified air.
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...k-take-review/
Old 10-25-16, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I agree with everything in that review having driven the car myself.
Old 10-25-16, 12:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Funny you mentioned that automobile review. I was just coming in here to mention that Continental and MKZ 3.0T reviews should be trickling out in the coming weeks.
Old 10-25-16, 12:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Funny you mentioned that automobile review. I was just coming in here to mention that Continental and MKZ 3.0T reviews should be trickling out in the coming weeks.
There are a couple of other reviews already out. One of them says it ranks in their with the new G90, CT6 and older LS460. Both reviews from Automobile and Cars.com have mentioned the panels on the sheetmetal.
Old 10-25-16, 01:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

this new edsel is already for sale, right? can't wait to see the number(s)
Old 10-25-16, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lincoln loyalists especially will be very impressed with it.
Well, that's the whole idea. They were certainly NOT impressed with the MKS...and for good reason.
Old 10-25-16, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this new edsel is already for sale, right? can't wait to see the number(s)
Apples and oranges. Although its poor quality control and quirky styling certainly didn't help, the main reason the Edsel failed was the fact that it was released at the start of a major economic recession, when a lot of people didn't have the disposable income for upmarket vehicles. In addition, it had too many domestic competitors, including Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, AMC's Ambassador, Packard, and Ford's own Mercury division. None of that is the case with today's Continental.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental